“I cannot stop talking about this place!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Hasell Street, Charleston, SC 29401   |
Ranked #10 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rock Hill, SC
“I cannot stop talking about this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I'm used to a standard hotel chain with cookie-cutter rooms, and that's certainly not what you get at Ansonborough Inn. This place has so much character and charm, it's ridiculous! We booked the premium loft with 1.5 baths for a girl's weekend. Having the comfortable seating area was perfect because we weren't stuck hanging out on beds while chatting in the room. The furniture and decor were exceptional, and the rooftop was impressive with such great views. Staff were friendly and helpful, and having complimentary water, tea, and lemonade available throughout the day was very nice.
I enjoyed the location because you're only a couple blocks from shopping and great restaurants so you can park the car for your entire stay ($12/day), but you're far enough out to where there isn't a noise issue. I did notice a review about noise, but I'm a very light sleeper and I couldn't hear a peep. We were on the 3rd level, so maybe that made a difference.
The only somewhat negative comment I have is that the towels were fairly thin. Given the plush bedding, I would have expected the towels to have been more plush.
I intend on staying here during my next Charleston trip and will highly recommend it to friends and family. This is a great place for couples or friends.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are great because you can look down to the lobby area and see the wood beams from...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed the Ansonborough Inn. It sounds like you were in room 336, which is one of our more recently renovated rooms. We usually tell people that it is ideal for friends' weekends and family vacations and I am glad to see that you agree. Thanks again for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and I hope to see you in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Greenville, N.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Just wrote a long review and lost it so....bottom line here all was good Except the noise. Whether you stay on the first or third floor you will hear street noise or someone talking in normal conversational tones in the room next door. That doesn't work when someone does that from 1 to 3 am . Complaints to staff were met with a deaf ear and no compensation for lost sleep. If you want a noise free night for sleeping look elsewhere.

Room Tip: There may not be noise free one.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I am glad to see that you found our location, service, and cleanliness to be very good. If you choose to return to Charleston, please feel free to contact me personally and I will do my best to find you a quieter, more interior room. Thank you again for your review.
Versailles, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

In the past 2 years, we have stayed in the Ansonborough Inn 6 or 7 times and every time we have experienced consistent excellence at this hotel. In every single aspect of this hotel we have encountered professionalism; comfortable and beautiful furnishings; gracious staff; excellent complimentary breakfast, evening snacks and cookies at night! My husband just returned from two nights there while attending a Charleston conference and two friends accompanied him. His fellow travelers were just as impressed as we have always been. The welcome mat is always out, the front desk clerks are superior, the ladies who handle breakfast and evening snack are prompt, courteous and the food is always excellent and plentiful, the hotel staff is second to none with spotless rooms, immediate response to requests and always friendly. Can you tell we love the Ansonborough?

Room Tip: If traveling with another couple, a friend or children, room 336 is our favorite. It is enormous, h...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
First and foremost I cannot thank you enough for being loyal and repeat guests of the Ansonborough Inn! We love all our guests, but there is nothing like seeing a familiar face and welcoming people BACK to the Ansonborough Inn! Thanks as well for introducing other people to the hotel--we so appreciate the referrals. Please let me know if there is any why that I can assist you in the future. (Thanks as well for reviewing us on TripAdvisor!)
Danville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

We go to Charleston every spring for a nice farewell to winter. This inn is our favorite place to stay. The rooms are huge and full of character. No cookie cutter decor here. We have never been bothered by noise. The breakfast has always been very well done when we were there. The location is perfect and easily within walking distance from where you will want to go. We've stayed in other inns and B&B's in Charleston but always come back to Ansonborough.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river are our favorite.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to hear that we have repeatedly been a highlight during your visits to Charleston. Thank you for being a loyal guest and I can't wait to see you in the future!
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We stayed at the Ansonborough Inn the week between Christmas and New Years. Upon arrival, they unexpectedly switched our room to something other than what we reserved. It was larger, which was nice, but it was on the ground floor at street level. We discovered that despite the very sophisticated architecture and room furnishings in the hotel, there is very little sound insulation from the outside road noise. To make it worse, there is a loading dock for a very busy grocery store directly across the street where they begin unloading at approx. 5:30 am. The beep beep beep and shouting continued well into the morning, almost to checkout. Needless to say, we did not get enough sleep! I recommend that if you stay here, ask for a room on the upper floors that faces either east or south, but not north.
The breakfast was so so. The hotel itself is really spectacular and is conveniently located, but one sort of gets the impression that it is operated more like a one of the big hotel chains than an inn.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvsor. I am glad to hear that you found our location convenient and were impressed with our property. Please let us know if we can assist you in the future!
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

The room was quite unique - very large room, brick walls, high ceiling, fireplace. Close to great restaurants and King Street shopping.

Our only issue was at breakfast. There was no coffee. After several people asked about more coffee, the staff retreated to the kitchen, shut the door and never came back out - I finally just made some tea and left.

That did not take away too much from an otherwise excellent stay at Ansonborough Inn

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that you had an excellent stay at the Ansonborough Inn! I believe that we have solved any issues that we had with coffee service and I appreciate that you mentioned it. We hope to see you again in the future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We have 3 teenagers and decided to take a 4 day 3 night break from the kids and visit Charleston and stay at the Inn. We stayed in the Palmeto suite and we loved the whole experience. Great staff great rooms and decor and great location . We will be back for sure. 5 star.

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you were able to stay in one of our wonderful Premium Plus room for your relaxing getaway. (We've got great multi-level rooms for families, too, when you're ready to bring the kids!) Let us know if we can assist in the future!

Been to Ansonborough Inn? Share your experiences!