“Waiting for nothing!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of J Paul'z

J Paul'z
1739 Maybank Hwy, Charleston, SC 29412 (James Island)
(843) 795-6995
Neighborhood: James Island
Cross street: Folly Rd
“Waiting for nothing!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Went to this establishment with a party of 10 at 7PM. We ordered a few appetizers for the table. We ordered our meals. 2 hours later there was no food. We were told on 3 occasions that our food was on the way. Unable to speak to the manager, while at the table, we left. On the way out, we finally spoke to the manager. When asked why he never came to the table, his answer was "I just got here", even though we had seen him earlier in the restaurant. The appetizers were comped. I will never go back to this restaurant. I can not recommend this establishment to anyone.

Visited September 2013

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Strike One”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

J Paul’z

We have been enjoying this neighborhood tappas bar for several years and I do mean “enjoying.” The menu is updated regularly and there are plenty of seating options. If you are with a group the living room style lounge with overstuffed sofas and coffee tables is perfect. The quality of the food is generally very high with good cheeses and dumplings. The crispy spring rolls are among the best I’ve had anywhere. This brings me to my rating for this latest trip. Everything was good EXCEPT the Volcano Roll which was truly an abomination unto god. I regret now that I did not send it back but I suspect that it tasted like the wanted to. It was simply bland beyond belief. Not particularly attractive, stringy crab meat and nothing else to recommend it. So, this is one strike in a town where Restaurants can’t stand many. We’ll be back but careful.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Charleston SC
“Just okay..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Service was terrible the last time we went...hands down terrible...and we also over heard another table complaining about the same server..Atmosphere is awesome! Great martinis but the food is plain and bland there..the menu has not changed in over 3 years... We thought we would give it another chance 3 years later and the same menu! Not much for a vegan or vegetarian to eat either. They were out of 4 different dishes..which we were never told tell later...If that was one of my husbands restaurants he would have came out with free appetizers or something. But no, the chef did no such thing..We will not be back!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Flavor Great! Portions Poor.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The food was excellent but for the price the portions should've been a bit larger. They have specialty mac and cheese bowls. We had the lobster and white cheddar and did find a couple of small pieces of lobster in it. I must admit that the 3 scallops that I got on my $20 plate were almost the best I've had, but it was a bit of a tease. Service was very good.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hickory, North Carolina
“Fresh, but blah food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

It seemed very pricey for how average the sushi was. Wine & drinks seemed watery. Maybe average prices for Charleston, but below average on the flavor scale.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere