“OK room, Great Pool, Great Location!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #30 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Barnwell, South Carolina
“OK room, Great Pool, Great Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We spent a week in Charleston, had signed 2 teens up for Charleston Cooks teen cooking camp (highly recommended) and decided to spend the week. The room was the usual 2 bed room with a small fridge and micro. It was clean but not fancy. The staff was very helpful. The pool was very large, clean and with a deep end of 10 feet. We really enjoyed the swimming. The drive into Charleston downtown took 10-15min. The free breakfast was OK, no meat but hot waffles, fruit, danish, coffee, juice, cereal and milk. Saved us a lot on buying breakfast each morning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments. We always value guest feedback, be it positive or negative, as it is a valuable tool in maintaining quality accommodations.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your visit with us. It is our goal to offer clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent guest service. It seems that in this case, we came close to our goal.

Again, thank you for the comments as well as for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to serving you again.

508 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I've stayed at the Best Western Sweetgrass Inn before. Here’s my take on the hotel broken down into the most important parts.

The Room: I stayed in Room 204 on the second floor in mid July. Nice size, freezing cold A/C (turned it off at night and it was very comfortable). Enough towels for two people so ask for more if you’re a towel hog, shower and tub in bathroom and sinks both inside and outside of the room). Tiny bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and hair dryer (no cool air button, only hot). No major bugs, but I did meet a nice juicy caterpillar in my shower one morning and a fat, slow mosquito that I promptly smashed with the quickness - LOL. This is a warm climate and that's to be expected, but the chambermaids could eliminate the bug problem by simply closing the doors while they're cleaning up. I have no idea why they don't. Room has a nice sized mini fridge, coffee maker (bring your own filers) and small microwave.

Breakfast: Basic breakfast served daily (waffles, boiled eggs, coffee, juice, tea, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, muffins and cinnamon buns, etc). The ladies who take care of the kitchen are very friendly and accommodating. One of them brought my waffle over when it was ready, along with some orange marmalade and warmed cream cheese because she thought I might like it ( I did).

The Pool: It’s large enough and clean. I recommend paying the extra money to get a room near it toward the front of the hotel. Sweetgrass Inn shares this pool with Sleep Inn next door so it can get pretty crowded. It's open until 10 pm so and it can get a little noisy from the kids, but the A/C hum in the room blocks that pretty well.

The Area: K-Mart is across the street and down the block if you need things like sunblock or a soda & snacks to keep in the room. Sweetgrass Inn also offers room service from an outside vendor since they don't have a restaurant, and there's a good BBQ spot about a block away (Bessinger's) so you won't go hungry. Free parking and wifi but I didn't get to try it so I can't comment on it.

All in all, a nice stay and great for the money. I would stay here again if I'm trying to save a little cash.

Room Tip: Ask for a AAA or AARP discount; shaves off about ten to twenty bucks per night
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post such a thorough and thoughtful review. We always value guest feedback, be it positive or negative, as it is a valuable tool in our efforts to improve.
I was very happy to read that this guest was happy with their visit with us. We will certainly speak to the Executive Housekeeper about the doors being left open during the cleaning process; the housekeepers are trained to close them.
Again, many thanks for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post your comments. We hope to see you again.
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

The feel of intimacy with the previous guests was not lacking. We observed their garbage well preserved in the trash receptacle beneath the anteroom sink. We noted their lavishly shed hair amongst the gritty sheets. Their grease in and on the refrigerator, the little way they left peculiar stains on the carpet, and so much more. In short, the room was repulsive.

Room Tip: ask for the room without bugs
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to post their comments. I must admit, I was shocked to read that someone had such a low opinion of our property. Our goal is to offer clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent customer service. Obviously, in the case of this guest, we fell far short of this goal.
I am so sorry that any of our guests had to endure a stay such as this. I have posted this review on our associate bulletin board and instructed our Executive Housekeeper to retrain all of her associates.
I wish this guest would take the time to contact me personally, so we can discuss the issues that occured during their visit.
Again, thank you for your comments.
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

this hotel is okay. i would stay again if i needed to and got a great rate. not the utmost in cleanliness (some sticky spots on the wood furniture), but clean enough that i was comfortable spending 2 nights. the staff is friendly. free parking & wifi (which worked) was appreciated. fitness center was basically 1 treadmill and 1 bike or something similar. the hotel is a bit removed (thus the more affordable rate availability), and traffic on the savannah highway can be slow and heavy moving into town.

i agree with other reviewers that my biggest complaints were things that are typical in the south... the rooms open to the outdoors and it is a hot, humid climate. this leaves the room & linens quite humid / a bit damp feeling. not unbearable, but not ideal. also in this type of climate & set-up, you're going to get bugs. not bedbugs or anything, but things like spiders, roaches, moths, junebugs. that sort of thing. i had 3 or 4 in two days. but i grew up in humid texas, so i'm used to it.

all in all, its worth a couple nights' stay if you get a great rate on a discount site. i certainly wouldn't dream of paying the rates they offer directly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
I would like to thank this guest not only for choosing to stay with us but for taking the time to post their comments as well. We always appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative, as it allows us to concentrate our efforts at improvement directly at those areas our guests tell us are important.
I am sorry this guest did not thoroughly enjoy their visit. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent customer service. Obviously, in this case, we missed our stated goal.
I have taken the liberty of sharing these comments with our staff members so they may improve their efforts.
Again, many thanks. We hope to see you again.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Normally I would only say this hotel was an average value, but relative to the other prices in Charleston it's value seemed very good! Having a fridge was nice. Waffles for breakfast. Good location near downtown and Folly Beach. Friendly staff. All around pretty good.

The only thing I can complain about, wasn't the hotel's fault. One day, we came back from downtown and our room REEKED of smoke. My only guess is that some people were smoking outside our room and the a/c unit sucked it right into our room! It was unfortunate, but we cranked up the a/c and the smell eventually dissapated.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments as well as for choosing to stay with us. We place a high premium on guest feedback as it allows us to constantly improve our operation.
I am sorry you found your room smelling of smoke one day. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent guest service. I am sorry if this incident affected your trip in anyway.
Again, thank your for your comments. We hope to see you again.
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

This was our first trip to Charleston and we noticed that many area hotels were poorly located or overpriced. This hotel was a good balance between location and cost. The room was your average Best Western room with the common musty smell that accompanies many southern waterfront hotels. The bathroom could use a once over but overall the room was fine. A few bugs were seen in the room, but again, this is the deep south, and for the price range, fairly common! The breakfast room was better than most with a really nice lady that helped the kids get their food together. Plenty of parking and the area was reasonably secure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to post their comments and for choosing to stay with us as well. We always appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative, as it allows us to constantly improve our operations.
I am sorry you found the room to be musty and to have a few unwelcome visitors. I wish we had known this as this is not normal for our property. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent guest service. I am sorry you did not enjoy the true measure of our hospitality.
I have instructed our maintenance department to conduct a search of all rooms untils they find one with a musty smell and to eradicate it. Additionally, I have forwarded a copy of your comments to our pest removal company so they may take corrective action.
Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I hope we see you again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

I chose this hotel because it was half the price of downtown hotels, had a great big pool, coin laundry and was only 3 miles from downtown. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast room woman was very friendly and helpful. She made the waffels for the guests and even brought me a wet towel to clean up my toddler. The hotel provided a packet of driving directions to everything you might need, grocery stores, wal mart, major attractions, beaches, etc. The room had two sinks - one in the bathroom and one outside of the bathroom. This came in handy. I felt this was a great value for the price and met our needs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
I would like to thank this guest not only for choosing to stay with us but for taking the time to share their comments as well. We place a high premium on guest feedback as it allows us to improve our operation based on the thing that matters most; the requests of our guests.

Been to BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn? Share your experiences!