“not bad. typical for its class.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #35 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
United States
“not bad. typical for its class.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

this hotel is okay. i would stay again if i needed to and got a great rate. not the utmost in cleanliness (some sticky spots on the wood furniture), but clean enough that i was comfortable spending 2 nights. the staff is friendly. free parking & wifi (which worked) was appreciated. fitness center was basically 1 treadmill and 1 bike or something similar. the hotel is a bit removed (thus the more affordable rate availability), and traffic on the savannah highway can be slow and heavy moving into town.

i agree with other reviewers that my biggest complaints were things that are typical in the south... the rooms open to the outdoors and it is a hot, humid climate. this leaves the room & linens quite humid / a bit damp feeling. not unbearable, but not ideal. also in this type of climate & set-up, you're going to get bugs. not bedbugs or anything, but things like spiders, roaches, moths, junebugs. that sort of thing. i had 3 or 4 in two days. but i grew up in humid texas, so i'm used to it.

all in all, its worth a couple nights' stay if you get a great rate on a discount site. i certainly wouldn't dream of paying the rates they offer directly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
I would like to thank this guest not only for choosing to stay with us but for taking the time to post their comments as well. We always appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative, as it allows us to concentrate our efforts at improvement directly at those areas our guests tell us are important.
I am sorry this guest did not thoroughly enjoy their visit. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent customer service. Obviously, in this case, we missed our stated goal.
I have taken the liberty of sharing these comments with our staff members so they may improve their efforts.
Again, many thanks. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Normally I would only say this hotel was an average value, but relative to the other prices in Charleston it's value seemed very good! Having a fridge was nice. Waffles for breakfast. Good location near downtown and Folly Beach. Friendly staff. All around pretty good.

The only thing I can complain about, wasn't the hotel's fault. One day, we came back from downtown and our room REEKED of smoke. My only guess is that some people were smoking outside our room and the a/c unit sucked it right into our room! It was unfortunate, but we cranked up the a/c and the smell eventually dissapated.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments as well as for choosing to stay with us. We place a high premium on guest feedback as it allows us to constantly improve our operation.
I am sorry you found your room smelling of smoke one day. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent guest service. I am sorry if this incident affected your trip in anyway.
Again, thank your for your comments. We hope to see you again.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

This was our first trip to Charleston and we noticed that many area hotels were poorly located or overpriced. This hotel was a good balance between location and cost. The room was your average Best Western room with the common musty smell that accompanies many southern waterfront hotels. The bathroom could use a once over but overall the room was fine. A few bugs were seen in the room, but again, this is the deep south, and for the price range, fairly common! The breakfast room was better than most with a really nice lady that helped the kids get their food together. Plenty of parking and the area was reasonably secure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to post their comments and for choosing to stay with us as well. We always appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative, as it allows us to constantly improve our operations.
I am sorry you found the room to be musty and to have a few unwelcome visitors. I wish we had known this as this is not normal for our property. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent guest service. I am sorry you did not enjoy the true measure of our hospitality.
I have instructed our maintenance department to conduct a search of all rooms untils they find one with a musty smell and to eradicate it. Additionally, I have forwarded a copy of your comments to our pest removal company so they may take corrective action.
Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I hope we see you again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

I chose this hotel because it was half the price of downtown hotels, had a great big pool, coin laundry and was only 3 miles from downtown. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast room woman was very friendly and helpful. She made the waffels for the guests and even brought me a wet towel to clean up my toddler. The hotel provided a packet of driving directions to everything you might need, grocery stores, wal mart, major attractions, beaches, etc. The room had two sinks - one in the bathroom and one outside of the bathroom. This came in handy. I felt this was a great value for the price and met our needs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
I would like to thank this guest not only for choosing to stay with us but for taking the time to share their comments as well. We place a high premium on guest feedback as it allows us to improve our operation based on the thing that matters most; the requests of our guests.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

Enjoyed my recent stay at Sweetgrass Inn. The staff were very pleasant and eager to assist with any needs. The location was far enough away from Charleston proper to avoid heavy tourist traffic, but just a short drive away from activities. The room was clean, but the carpet could have been cleaner. I loved that the hotel gave me the option to "go green". Bedding was clean and in great condition. Could have used a couple more easy-access outlets. Despite being right on Savannah Highway, the room was quiet and sleep was undisturbed. Easy access to most anything within a mile or two. I'd stay here again without hesitation when visiting Charleston, but its a bit pricey and not for the budget conscious!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments. We always appreciate guest feedback as it allows us to concentrate our efforts at improvmement directly at those issues which our guests find important.

As we share these reviews with our staff, I am sure they will enjoy reading that their hard work was recognized and appreciated.

Again, thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Williamsburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed Monday - Friday. We arrived late on Monday (1am) to find that our room had not been cleaned -- beds not made, empty coffee cups everywhere, towels on the floor, etc. We were moved to another room in the very back of the hotel that was not as nice. It was far away from everything. The handle on the toilet was broken and would not flush. The next morning, we asked to be moved to our previous room once it was cleaned. That room was nicer, but that toilet wouldn't stop flushing! One day, we came back from sightseeing to find that our keys had been deactivated for no reason. I complained about these things when we checked out, and the guy at the desk promised me 20% off. The charge that had been on my credit card disappeared for a few days and then reappeared yesterday for the full amount. I've talked to three people about it now, and I keep getting told to talk to someone else. Extremely frustrating!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
I would like to apoligze to this guest for the frustrating set of circumstances that occured during their stay. I believe I have already corrected this guest's billing issue; if not, please contact me directly.
I have shared this review with both our front desk and housekeeping staff so they can improve their efforts.
Again, our apologies and thanks for taking the time to review our property.
Louisburg, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

I don't think their term is "crash and cruise", but that's what we did. We spent Saturday night there, left our car the next morning and caught a cab to the cruise terminal. The long term parking area is large and well lit. We enjoyed the continental breakfast with waffles. The staff were friendly and efficient. We'll probably stay here again when we come back to explore Charleston -- not enough time this visit. Our only suggestion is to put in more queensize beds. It's very quiet, considering the busy street in front.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
I would like to thank this guest for staying with us and taking the time to post their comments. We hope you enjoyed your cruise!

As we are located only 4 miles from the cruise departure area, we make an excellent location to spend the night before your departure. We have plenty of parking in our secure lot so you won't need to worry about your car while enjoying your cruise.

Again, many thanks for the kind words. We do hope this guest decides to visit Charleston again so they can see all the great things our city has to offer.

Been to BEST WESTERN Sweetgrass Inn? Share your experiences!