“Charming, inviting and great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of King Charles Inn

You added King Charles Inn to your Saves list
King Charles Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   237 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (Formerly BEST WESTERN King Charles Inn)   |
Special Offer
Complimentary Parking
Ranked #11 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia
“Charming, inviting and great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

Great price through Triple A had me finally making the decision to choose this hotel over a Holiday Inn (Mills House). I researched MANY hotels and wasn't so sure about a "Best Western". This is nothing like the one I have stayed in before (I usually go towards Marriott chain). When making the reservation, I was asked if the stay was for a special occasion and I told the desk clerk that it was my anniversary. We arrived in Charleston at 11:30 (the garage is right before the hotel not after you see the sign, so it's a quick right turn into parking), let the front desk clerk know that we were there, he told us we had been upgraded to a Junior King Suite (I had reserved a King Superior?), told us happy anniversary, and he took our cell number to call us when room was ready.

After our carriage ride, we were called to let us know our room was ready. The walk to the hotel is about ten minutes, if that, to market street. This hotel reminds me of a boutique (like so many others have stated). It is a perfect location! Free Wifi and parking. AND we were given big bag of cookies with an anniversary card welcoming us to Charleston. It's the littlest things that go along way! We ate breakfast out, so I can't comment on the buffet. Our suite was on the corner so we had huge windows all around (brightly lit). It was clean, modern and the bed was very comfortable. The bar area is very relaxing. The pool is 5-7 feet, not large, but it is there on hot days! Cookies waiting at the end of the day. Coffee and tea available. Front desk clerks always helpful and happy.

If there is a downside, it would be that there was a lot of outside noise being on the corner of the hotel (at the intersection where the light is). I have a hearing loss so I tend to hear things (the little things that I notice) MORE than my husband does. He obviously has learned to tune those little things out. What I noticed is at night (after eleven pm) when falling asleep, the traffic died down. But when it started back up again (five am or so Friday morning), I could really hear the cars revving the engines from a stop to start position at that light (it would have been less noisy for me if that light wasn't there!). Again, this meant nothing to my husband. He simply didn't notice it. And I would take the upgrade to the suite any day of the week! Lots of room!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
Congratulations on your Anniversary weekend! Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn to spend this special occasion! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay at our hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

First trip to the Charleston area, won't be our last, chose the King Charles Inn based on positive reviews and location, as well as value, Won't repeat all others have said but I will say that I have neve experienced customer service from all levels of staff as I have at this hotel. Special thanks to Maureen and Molly for the great advice on sites and restaurants. Look forward to a future stay there

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your compliments! We are so happy you enjoyed your trip to Charleston! We hope to see you again in the near future!
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

Once again we stayed at the King Charles Inn and it was wonderful as usual. We arrived really early around 1:30 but our room was ready, so we were able to check in. Check-in was fast and the front desk clerk was helpful and offered to help in any way he could. Our room was clean and I can't say enough about the comfort of the beds. The best hotel beds I've ever slept on. We were only a few doors down from the elevator and bar area, but seriously we never heard any noise. The convenience of the free parking, the short walk to restaurants and the market, make this hotel the perfect place to stay. We ate breakfast both mornings in the hotel and the food was very good. The food compares very well to any high end restaurant. The ladies working in the dining room were helpful and friendly. The 2nd day, the hotel manager came around introducing herself and offering helpful suggestions. You leave the King Charles feeling like a valued customer. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

This is a great place to stay. Great location and very comfortable rooms. Friendly staff. Beautiful bathrooms. Nice pool. Easy to walk around the city. The afternoon cocktails and appetizers is a nice bonus -- so is the free parking.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2010
A good value is the key to enjoying your vacation! I am thrilled you chose the KIng Charles Inn and was able to take advantage of all we have to offer such as the complimentary parking, great location and awesome service! We hope to see you again!
Edison, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

This hotel was fabulous. From its location in the historic district on Meeting st. we could walk to everything. The hotel was well maintained, beautifully decorated and parking was free which was a bonus. It is the best Best western hotel I have ever stayed in. I felt like I was in a very expensive boutique hotel. Also it is one block away form Charleston Place, Charleston's most expensive hotel. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel! I hope when you return to Charleston you become one of our many King Charles Inn fans and a repeat guest! I am glad you enjoyed everything!
hood,va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

My husband and I went to Charleston to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and selected the King Charles Inn as our hotel and we are both glad we did. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful with suggestions about sightseeing options and resturants.
The hotel has happy hour from 4:30 to 7:00 with complementry fruit and cheese, and the bartender was also helpful with suggestions on resturants.

The room was clean and comfortable with a refrigerator and a safe to keep our valuables in while we were out for the day. The location was perfect and once we parked our car we did not move it again until we checked out. We were within walking distence to everything we wanted to see and do.

We would recommed this as the perfect place to stay if you are planning on seeing Charleston. Our stay was the best!!!! Thank you for all you did to make our stay delightful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
What a raving review! Thank you for sharing with others! The King Charles Inn is like a hidden gem with its free parking, great location and super staff! We hope to see you again!
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I agree with the previous reviews - great location and lovely hotel. Slightly dark room but that's the nit-picking. Free parking and wifi. Nice breakfast - don't go to Cafe Cafe nearby. Would strongly recommend this hotel for a trip to Charleston.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2010
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel! I am glad you mentioned you enjoyed our breakfast. There are not many places downtown that are open for breakfast and provide a full buffet under $10 like we do; I am so glad you were able to take advantage of it and start your day off right! Thanks again! La iontach!

Been to King Charles Inn? Share your experiences!