“Before Christmas get-away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of King Charles Inn

You added King Charles Inn to your Saves list
King Charles Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   237 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (Formerly BEST WESTERN King Charles Inn)   |
Special Offer
Complimentary Parking
Ranked #11 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
IRMO
“Before Christmas get-away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our stay was great. It was a chance to get away from all the hustle of Christmas. The rates were very attractive and the service was excellent. They are doing some renovationing, but it did not interfer with our stay.We love Charleston and we always enjoy staying at the King Charles.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
We are excited about our remodel project! I hope you can stay with us to enjoy our new Upper Lobby and Pub after March 15th. I am certain you will love it! Thank you for the five star review and Happy New Year 2013!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Friends of ours recommended the Best Western King Charles but when I read on Tripadvisor that some renovations were going on I was concerned. I phoned the hotel to learn more about the renovations and booked a room far from that area. My hubby and I were so glad that we stayed at this hotel! The renovations didn’t bother us at all. We loved the room! We had a spacious King size room with a balcony. The view from the balcony was just the parking area so we didn’t use it, but that was OK because we were out seeing the sights most of the time anyway. It was great to have the free parking at the hotel. The bed in our room was very comfy and so were the chairs with the ottomans and pillows for your back. We had a safe, a fridge, a flat screen TV with cable channels and an Ipod docking station. They also provided a Keurig single-serve coffee maker which was quick and easy to use. Nice bathroom, and I really appreciated the lighted makeup mirror! Good shower head and water pressure. The room was quite dark at night which is great, but I wanted a little light to find the bathroom. I managed to find an inexpensive night light at the Five and Dime on Market street, but you may want to bring one with you. I was happy to have a safe in the room to store some items while we were out. It was too cool during our stay to use the pool but it looked nice and the outdoor eating area next to the pool was lovely. There was an attractive bar area on the second floor where you could purchase drinks and enjoy complimentary cheese, crackers and grapes. Due to the renovations, the restaurant serving breakfast at the hotel was closed but there are many restaurants close by. Some breakfast places we noticed were Barbara Jean’s, Toast and Eli’s Table. There is also a Dunkin Donuts across the street on the next block. I’m not sure if the hotel always does this or if it was due to the renovations, but the little area by the garage had complimentary coffee, small pastries/ donut holes and apples in the morning as well. There are also so many restaurants within walking distance for lunch and dinner. The hotel is in a very good location. The staff that we encountered were all very nice. We absolutely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The king size rooms with the balcony are spacious; I suggest asking for a quiet room away from Meeti...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Please thank your friends for their wonderful recommendation! Word of mouth is always our best form of advertising! I am delighted your enjoyed your stay and Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn!
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the King Charles. I was nervous about staying at a Best Western but this hotel was wonderful! The staff was great, the room had all the extras and the location and price could not be beat. Everything we wanted to do was in walking distance. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
I am so glad you chose the King Charles Inn! It sounds like you enjoyed your Charleston experience! Thank you for your business and I hope you can return in the near future!
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Absolutely loved staying at the King Charles Inn. Check in was easy and informative, Monica took her time and detailed places to eat, amenities of the hotel and places to go and see.
My daughter and I had a double room that was very spacious, clean and quiet. The bath room was spacious, clean with a nice size vanity and space to move around in. The beds were comfortable and the linen were fresh and clean, the flat panel tv was a nice touch!
We took advantage of the evening reception each day and met some very nice people visiting Charleston. The GM walked around and greeted all the guest and filled me in on their current renovations and was more than eager to share information about the area.
The only issue we encountered while staying here was being awaken @ 5:00 am by the sound of a fire alarm blaring in our ears. There was no fire and we later found out that another guest had too much to drink and wanted to smoke in their room (this is a non-smoking hotel), so they decided to dismantle their smoke detector so they could light up anyways and that triggered the fire alarm. Some people-however, it was still a great place to stay and I would definately stay there again!

• Stayed January 2013
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to share your awesome trip report with others! It sounds like you really enjoyed your visit to Charleston and that we succeeded in providing you with a great experience! I certainly enjoy meeting our guests during the evening Managers Reception and being able to update everyone on the renovation status. The Pub and Upper Lobby are certainly going to be beautiful! I hope you can return to check it out! Thank you again!
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 4 nights over Christmas. I chose it because the price and location were very attractive, and finally because the reviews on Tripadvisor were really good. They were right!

Location, location, location, location.... 1-2 blocks from the City Market, 1 block from King Street, a couple blocks from a Starbucks :-) right in the middle of the historic district.

Free parking! Very rare in the area.

Nice rooms, fridge, keurig coffee maker (they even supplied Earl Grey tea), flat screen TV, chair, ottoman, and table, large bathroom, and best of all, very comfortable beds (and I am a hotel bed snob!!!).

The best part, however, was the staff. Everyone went out of his or her way to make our stay the best it could be, going well above and beyond. Just to name a few of the many many things they did: helped me plan my personal tour itinerary while also planning things that my elderly companion could possibly manage and enjoy; facilitated food delivery when my companion couldn't get out to eat; put together a cheese plate and delivered it to my room when I was getting sick from a lack of protein one morning; suggested a great walk; were always ready to lend a hand or make suggestions; and always so friendly!

The restaurant was closed for renovations, but there was a nice little lobby bar.

I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for spending the holiday season with us at the King Charles Inn! I appreciate your kind words regarding my staff; I will certainly commend them for their outstanding Customer Service skills! Thank you for allowing us to serve you and hope you can return in the future!
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights and were pleasantly surprised with the property.The rooms are very nicely appointed and is in a great location. The price is very good to be in Charleston .We would definitely stay here again. Very friendly staff also.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
What a nice review! We appreciate your business and hope you can stay with us again in the future! Happy 2013 from your friends at the King Charles Inn!
Shelby, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed a recent stay at the King Charles Inn. We had stayed at this property several years ago and were “welcomed back” at check-in, and a hand-written note accompanied by a praline welcomed us to our room. Our guest room was charming, having been recently refurbished with tasteful décor, a pod coffeemaker, and a flat screen television—with a fresh remote. The bathroom was just as lovely and well-equipped. Although it was too chilly to enjoy the pool, the pool area is lovely as well. Several areas of the hotel are under renovation, but our comfort was not affected by this. The location is ideal for exploring Charleston, and the free on-site parking is an added amenity. We especially appreciated being able to leave our car until 4 PM the day of check-out. This allowed us to have lunch in town without having to look for and pay for parking. We look forward to visiting Charleston again and hope to return to the King Charles Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for the five star review! Your business is very important to us so Thank You for choosing the King Charles Inn. We appreciate your loyalty!

Been to King Charles Inn? Share your experiences!