“So glad we stayed here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of King Charles Inn

You added King Charles Inn to your Saves list
King Charles Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   237 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (Formerly BEST WESTERN King Charles Inn)   |
Special Offer
Complimentary Parking
Ranked #11 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Amherst, Massachusetts
“So glad we stayed here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

It wasn't easy choosing a hotel in Charleston - all the ones in town are very pricey and often charge for parking.

I'm so glad I choose King Charles Inn.

Very convenient location, parking is included and staff has been very friendly - especially at the front desk.

We usually book a king bed but when I made the reservation there was only one room left - a double double. The room is very nice, clean, comfortable and quiet (#245).

This is our first time to Charleston and we loved it and the King Charles Inn so much I asked for a second night. (I had asked when I first booked but they were full.) Luckily, a room had opened up and they switched things around so we could stay in the same room.

Loved being able to walk everywhere from our location. Would definitely stay here again!

We'll be passing throught this area and in a couple of weeks but, unfortunately, a family member we are meeting up with booked a different hotel across the river. I just know I am really going to miss staying here.

Recommend highly!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for your nice compliments! The King Charles Inn is located in such a great spot and it sure makes it easy to walk everywhere without moving your car! I am glad you enjoyed your trip to Charleston!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel is in a perfect location on Meeting Street; you can walk to almost all of the historical sites and excellent restaurants. The pool and patio area overlooks Meeting Street which is an added bonus; most other hotels do not have pools. The rates were very reasonable for staying in the heart of historic Charleston; we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your kind words! We appreciate your business!
Kingsport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

What can I say that hasn't been said in previous reviews. But the reviews are why we stayed there to begin with. Room was beautiful, quite and needed nothing. Very friendly staff, great breakfast choices. The breakfast crew is top notch, even made oatmeal for me. Secure parking that's close to stairs and elevator. The Inn itself is located near the market area and is close walking distance to all the downtown attractions.

I'll be back...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
It is such a pleasure to serve you! Our staff takes such great pride in being able to assist our guests in anyway they can! Thank you for the super review!
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights in August while attending a family wedding. What a great location with great restaurants like FIG, Jestine's, and Husk just a few steps away. The City Market is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. A basic breakfast buffet is offered for a ten dollar charge, which I had partook of one morning, but choose to go to Whisk, a bakery that offers pastry, sandwiches and great coffee, the other mornings. The rooms are very clean, if basic, and larger than I expected. The entire staff could not have been nicer or more helpful, and any calls for service were answered very promptly. The hotel has convenient free parking and I did not need to move my car the entire stay as everything I needed could be reached by a walk or a pedi-cab and there is a trolley stop diectly across the street. I would definitely stay here again for the price and conveniet location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We certainly appreciate you taking time to review our hotel! I am glad you found us to be such a great value and hope you can stay with us again in the near future!
Grayson, Ga.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

First let me say that I am a CLIA travel agent. I travel quite a bit. My husband and I planned a one night last minute getaway to Charleston to help a friend bring a boat back to Atlanta. We were also celebrating our anniversary. The Best Western King Charles was highly recommended to us. Wow, do they aim to please. Let me tell you all the ways they "aim to please."
At the last minute I called the 800 # and got a room rate quote. I didn't book as I wanted to make sure that we were going to get to go the next day. The next day it looked like we were on go so I called the hotel directly but they didn't have the same rates as the 800 # so I decided to book on Priceline and hopefully would get an even better rate. Then I got scared that I might not get as good a hotel as the Best Western so I called back and booked. I called on the way from Atlanta to Charleston (the 800 #) and once again got the lower price quote. Upon checkout the manager honored the lower price after verifying that price with the 800 number folks. This pleased me . So we had a trailer with us and didn't know where we would park it. I called the hotel to see if they had a suggestion and was immediately told that they would put out some cones across the street and HOLD a spot for our trailer. I could hardly believe it and really didn't think it would happen but it DID . I called right before we got there and again was told YES we are holding you a space with orange cones. AND YES we had place for FREE to park our boat trailer. Talk about aiming to please.
Check in was a breeze. In fact right after we checked it it was happy hour with discounted drinks and FREE , yes free gourmet crackers, an assortment of cheeses and crackers. This was just what we needed after a 5 hour drive. Next we went to our room on the second floor...again WOW. My husband walked in to the bathroom and said Come see there are granite countertops in here. This hotel was rated two and a half stars on Priceline so we didn't really expect granite . We also were given treats because we were celebrating our anniversary. Again..."wow, they aim to please." Before we went to dinner my husband had a drink and then wanted coffee. He is a coffee addict. Over by the pool is a 24/7 coffee station. He was in heaven. He made several stops to the coffee area even though there was a personal coffee pot in our room. So we went to dinner at a place called Fleet Landing which I also highly recommend. My husband and I both had the She Crab soup which was to die for . He also had some yummy Apricot glazed founder that was wonderful. After dinner we went to an area called Battery which are historic Civil War and pre civil war homes. We loved it. We walked around and drove around Charleston. Then we went home and I had a nice swim in the hotel pool. My husband remarked that it was small but I thought it was the perfect size. It was clean and well maintained. Oh and when I got out I was a bit chilled . I am a tea lover but was in the mood for hot chocolate. There wasn't any hot chocolate but one of the hotel personal was nearby. I think his name was Richard. He heard me say I wish I had some hot chocolate and within 2 minutes he returned from the kitchen with some hot chocolate. Wow , they aim to please. So we slept great. I am a picky bed person and the mattress was superb. The room was a bit warm but with the adjustment of the thermostat we were very happy. The shower pressure was GREAT as well. Oh, when we went to dinner I wanted to leave my cash in a safe and there was a code safe in our room. So the next morning we got up. We didn't eat the breakfast but I did look at it and it looked wonderful. My husband grabbed some coffee and I made tea in the room and we left. It was a terrific stay at a wonderful hotel with fantastic personnel. I would highly recommend this hotel in every respect if you are traveling to Charleston and want to stay downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow! I am sure "pleased" to hear such awesome feedback! Thank you again for staying with us and also for sharing your nice pictures! We hope you will return!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is its downtown location as it's within walking distance to shops, historic homes and restaurants. Parking was free and I left my car parked for three days before using it to visit several plantations outside of downtown Charleston. My room was very nice and clean and the staff was very friendly. They served breakfast daily in the dining room but I when I saw the prices ($7.95 for a continental breakfast or $9.95 for a full breakfast), I ate some muffins I brought with me or went out to get something - there was a bakery right down the street. I thought those prices were rather steep! There is a trolley stop right across the street that was convenient and the trolley was free! The hotel is just two blocks from a great seafood restaurant (Hyman's) which has been written up in several magazines. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your great rating! I am glad you enjoyed our convenient location! It sure makes touring our city such a delight!
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I am always impressed by the King Charles Inn. It is a small hotel but in a good way. Very personable staff and not too pushy. I dont feel like I am getting ripped-off when I stay here.

Check in and check out always a breeze. Great location and easy walking distance to all of the touristy places if that is important to you.

Greatly appreciated the complementary wifi and parking. TIP: If you have a large vehicle Charleston is not large car friendly. If you have a large truck, van or SUV I feel their parking lot would be a tight fit. There is overflow parking offered offsite.

The in-room coffee and fridge comes in handy. Nice finishes in the room and bathroom. They did a great job upgrading this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for becoming one of our special repeat customers! We sincerely appreciate your business!

Been to King Charles Inn? Share your experiences!