“Wow, they aim to please.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of King Charles Inn

You added King Charles Inn to your Saves list
King Charles Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   237 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (Formerly BEST WESTERN King Charles Inn)   |
Special Offer
Complimentary Parking
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Grayson, Ga.
“Wow, they aim to please.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

First let me say that I am a CLIA travel agent. I travel quite a bit. My husband and I planned a one night last minute getaway to Charleston to help a friend bring a boat back to Atlanta. We were also celebrating our anniversary. The Best Western King Charles was highly recommended to us. Wow, do they aim to please. Let me tell you all the ways they "aim to please."
At the last minute I called the 800 # and got a room rate quote. I didn't book as I wanted to make sure that we were going to get to go the next day. The next day it looked like we were on go so I called the hotel directly but they didn't have the same rates as the 800 # so I decided to book on Priceline and hopefully would get an even better rate. Then I got scared that I might not get as good a hotel as the Best Western so I called back and booked. I called on the way from Atlanta to Charleston (the 800 #) and once again got the lower price quote. Upon checkout the manager honored the lower price after verifying that price with the 800 number folks. This pleased me . So we had a trailer with us and didn't know where we would park it. I called the hotel to see if they had a suggestion and was immediately told that they would put out some cones across the street and HOLD a spot for our trailer. I could hardly believe it and really didn't think it would happen but it DID . I called right before we got there and again was told YES we are holding you a space with orange cones. AND YES we had place for FREE to park our boat trailer. Talk about aiming to please.
Check in was a breeze. In fact right after we checked it it was happy hour with discounted drinks and FREE , yes free gourmet crackers, an assortment of cheeses and crackers. This was just what we needed after a 5 hour drive. Next we went to our room on the second floor...again WOW. My husband walked in to the bathroom and said Come see there are granite countertops in here. This hotel was rated two and a half stars on Priceline so we didn't really expect granite . We also were given treats because we were celebrating our anniversary. Again..."wow, they aim to please." Before we went to dinner my husband had a drink and then wanted coffee. He is a coffee addict. Over by the pool is a 24/7 coffee station. He was in heaven. He made several stops to the coffee area even though there was a personal coffee pot in our room. So we went to dinner at a place called Fleet Landing which I also highly recommend. My husband and I both had the She Crab soup which was to die for . He also had some yummy Apricot glazed founder that was wonderful. After dinner we went to an area called Battery which are historic Civil War and pre civil war homes. We loved it. We walked around and drove around Charleston. Then we went home and I had a nice swim in the hotel pool. My husband remarked that it was small but I thought it was the perfect size. It was clean and well maintained. Oh and when I got out I was a bit chilled . I am a tea lover but was in the mood for hot chocolate. There wasn't any hot chocolate but one of the hotel personal was nearby. I think his name was Richard. He heard me say I wish I had some hot chocolate and within 2 minutes he returned from the kitchen with some hot chocolate. Wow , they aim to please. So we slept great. I am a picky bed person and the mattress was superb. The room was a bit warm but with the adjustment of the thermostat we were very happy. The shower pressure was GREAT as well. Oh, when we went to dinner I wanted to leave my cash in a safe and there was a code safe in our room. So the next morning we got up. We didn't eat the breakfast but I did look at it and it looked wonderful. My husband grabbed some coffee and I made tea in the room and we left. It was a terrific stay at a wonderful hotel with fantastic personnel. I would highly recommend this hotel in every respect if you are traveling to Charleston and want to stay downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Wow! I am sure "pleased" to hear such awesome feedback! Thank you again for staying with us and also for sharing your nice pictures! We hope you will return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is its downtown location as it's within walking distance to shops, historic homes and restaurants. Parking was free and I left my car parked for three days before using it to visit several plantations outside of downtown Charleston. My room was very nice and clean and the staff was very friendly. They served breakfast daily in the dining room but I when I saw the prices ($7.95 for a continental breakfast or $9.95 for a full breakfast), I ate some muffins I brought with me or went out to get something - there was a bakery right down the street. I thought those prices were rather steep! There is a trolley stop right across the street that was convenient and the trolley was free! The hotel is just two blocks from a great seafood restaurant (Hyman's) which has been written up in several magazines. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your great rating! I am glad you enjoyed our convenient location! It sure makes touring our city such a delight!
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I am always impressed by the King Charles Inn. It is a small hotel but in a good way. Very personable staff and not too pushy. I dont feel like I am getting ripped-off when I stay here.

Check in and check out always a breeze. Great location and easy walking distance to all of the touristy places if that is important to you.

Greatly appreciated the complementary wifi and parking. TIP: If you have a large vehicle Charleston is not large car friendly. If you have a large truck, van or SUV I feel their parking lot would be a tight fit. There is overflow parking offered offsite.

The in-room coffee and fridge comes in handy. Nice finishes in the room and bathroom. They did a great job upgrading this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for becoming one of our special repeat customers! We sincerely appreciate your business!
Reading, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We loved this hotel! It was our first time in Charleston (we traveled over Labor Day weekend). The room was beautifully decorated and was very clean. The rooms have their own Keurig maker with K-cups - great touch! There is also a coffee/hot tea area downstairs. We went to the hotel bar for "happy hour" which included great prices on drinks and complimentary cheese, crackers & olives. The hotel was withiin walking distance of everything we wanted to do in the historic district - restaurants, shops, and nightlife. The only down side was that we only had 2 nights here. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
They say its the "little things that make a big difference"! Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn and we look forward to your return!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Friendly, helpful and courteous staff. Lovely rooms -- clean and modern. Within walking distance of everything you want to see in the historic area of Charleston. The pool area was small and a bit tight for my liking, but in all honesty we hadn't planned on using it much, since we were walking the area the entire trip. Nightlife and restaurants are also within walking distance. Will return soon; loved Charleston!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your nice review! Guests rave about our location and how easy it is to walk everywhere; I am glad you enjoyed it!
Argyle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My three sisters and I stayed here a week ago for our traditional sister vacation. The location was excellent and within walking distance to everything we wanted to do. Our rooms weere very comfortable and clean but did not have any type of view. However, we were never in the rooms so it did not matter to us. Every member of the staff there was so nice and friendly. They made you feel so welcomed. I can't say enough good things about them. The outdoor patio by the pool was very nice and a good place for breakfast in the morning if you didn't want to be inside. The Happy Hour they offer each day was a nice touch with drink specials and free appetizers. I would most definitely recommend the King Charles Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We sincerely appreciate your business and thank you for sharing your positive experience with others!
Morristown, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed staying here Sept 2011. Excellent service and our room was beautiful. Location was great and convient for walking all over. My only compliant was the view from our balcony. The balcony was very nice and had great rocking chairs.......but it overlooked a parking lot.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your honest feedback. The positive on the King Balcony guestroom is the room itself is very spacious and larger than our other king rooms and the rocking chairs on the balcony are very comforting! Unfortunately, being a downtown hotel in the historic district there is no view. However, it sounds like you had a great time in Charleston!

Been to King Charles Inn? Share your experiences!