“Service Fee for Tickets Online? No Thank You” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Palmetto Carriage Works

Palmetto Carriage Works
40 North Market Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (Downtown)
(843) 723-8145
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #49 of 195 Activities in Charleston
Snellville, Georgia
31 attraction reviews
“Service Fee for Tickets Online? No Thank You”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Rip off alert! Went on the Carriage Ghost Tour with the family and walked away regretting spending the money. Palmetto has the guts to charge you a bogus $2.75 online service fee for tickets bought online - What a scam. They scare you into buying online by saying that walk up tickets may be unavailable due to high demand. TIP: Skip the online ordering of tickets and show up in person if you care enough for the chariot ride. TIP: If your fit, walking around Charleston is head and shoulders a better experience than these tours. I won't be hopping on the buggy again.

Visited September 2013
peeshCharleston_SC, General Manager at Palmetto Carriage Works, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Sorry you felt ripped off, I will include a phone for you to contact us for a full refund. As far as a scam, I hire an outside company to sell my tickets. I pay them a percentage as well. So as for sticking it to you, not the case.
Getting you to buy ahead came about because we sell out most days, and customers were angry , that they either had to wait, or couldn't get on.
Please give my office a call and we will process a refund for you. Hopefully you will give us another try on your next visit.
Thanks,
Tommy Doyle
GM Palmetto Carriage Works

Columbus, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Very pleased”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great tour with more than just the basic history. Guide knew lots abt the architecture and details of art history etc that made it a very learned tour.

The staff was very helpful. I was leaving straight from the tour for the airport and not only did they hold my luggage for a few hours while I explored, they (Liz at the desk) even arranged for a cab to pick me up.

If all things are the same btwn the two big tour companies, i pick this one based on the helpfulness and customer service.

Pekin, Illinois
18 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable tour - knowledgeable guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Took a tour on 9/3/2013.

Carriages hold about 15 or so folks. The tour you get is kind of random - each carriage is assigned one of 6 routes randomly by a ball drawn by a city worker.

Tour lasted around an hour and we went past many historic homes & buildings. If you like history, you'll learn a lot. If you don't, hopefully you at least enjoy the ride.

Definitely recommend - will probably do again on our next visit to Charleston.

Indianapolis, Indiana
24 attraction reviews
“Pretty good tour of Charleston historic district”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Let me get the bad out of the way first, and its really not even bad stuff, just stuff to be aware of. 1) The 4-hour parking that comes with the tour is only if you purchase your ticket in advance. My fault for not reading it correctly, so be sure that you do. 2) Despite the fact their website offers many different tours, only 1 was available when we arrived and that was the historic tour, again, maybe it was me just not reading it correctly, but really no biggie in the end. If you are interested in another tour, my suggestion would be to call first.

Now with that out of the way - It was a pretty good tour of the historic district. We had Eric as our guide and quite honestly he is what bumped the tour up from average to pretty good. He had a good sense of humor and was very informative about the history of the city. I decided to do this tour because I wanted my boyfriend to be able to see the historic district of Charleston and hopefully fall in love with the city as I had many many years ago. Despite the fact that he looked bored to death throughout the entire ride he said that he really liked seeing all the old houses, learning about their architecture, the hurricanes/damage and the history of the city and was glad he agreed to do it. On a side note, the mules seemed to be well-cared for and the carriages were nice. Would I do this tour again? Probably not this exact tour, but maybe another one if it was being offered at the time. I wouldn't hesitate to book with Palmetto again though.

Visited August 2013
Greenville
23 attraction reviews
“Great deal when you get combo package”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We chose a package of the carriage ride and the harbor tour combo which was a great deal. An hour carriage ride around town gave us so much history about the area and structures. It was a hot day but moving along, it didn't feel so bad. Will do this again.

Visited August 2013