“Good, not great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Palmetto Carriage Works

Palmetto Carriage Works
40 North Market Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (Downtown)
(843) 723-8145
Seaford, New York
8 attraction reviews
“Good, not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

It was fun to get on a horse driven carriage and tour a city full of history, especially a city we knew little about. The tour does a good job of getting you familiar with the area of downtown Charleston and a little bit about its history. There is no coherent narrative. You kind of get a very stream of consciousness overview.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Big Red Barn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our family took a carriage tour with Palmetto and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. From the time we entered the red barn we were met with friendly people. The tour guide was awesome, but I can't remember his name. He was a native and has written some books. Seeing this city from a carriage is a must do!

Montreal
8 attraction reviews
“Informative and Entertaining!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

My family would definitely recommend a carriage tour of Charleston. It is a great way to see the city! We randomly decided on Palmetto Carriage Works and we were not disappointed. Our driver Jennie started off by explaining how the carriage routes are chosen by a bingo system devised by the city and it only got more interesting from there. There was no question she could not answer and she gave us interesting info about city from its beginning to modern times. It was a great experience!

Eastern Connecticut
6 attraction reviews
“A must do!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

When we arrived early, my husband ran in to find out where we should park and where we should wait. A woman from Palmetto came out and told me they were moving us to an earlier tour and while my husband was inside working on that, I should go park in the Private Palmetto lot. You get 4 hours free if you book on line which is fantastic for Charleston. You have to pay for parking everywhere you go. So I drove over to the lot and this was my only negative experience with Palmetto. The woman who checked us in was very snippity and a bit rude. In fact if we hadn't already ordered our tickets I may have suggested that my family find another tour company. Glad we didn't because the people inside the big red barn as well as our tour and guide were fantastic! Our guide Mr. Brain was great! So knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor! Palmetto Carriage is fantastic way to see the city of Charleston!

Mt Holly Springs, PA
13 attraction reviews
“OK Tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The tour was Ok - I would have liked to have seen more of the city than we did. The guide was OK - I think his name was Tom, not sure. Wecould not hear him very well at times. The parking, loading, exiting was not very organized. You can only park for 4 hours - you do have to move your car after 4 hours or they will tow it (I thought it was parking for all day with 4 hours free). We almost didn't hear our name called because it was so crowded at the loading area. When we got there we were supposed to get a ticket printed out that we show when we entered the carriage. When we got off our guide asked for the ticket - well I didn't know that we needed to show it AFTER the ride too, so it got lost in my bag - our guide acted very annoyed at us for this - didn't really even say have a good day or thank you after this. I guess he gets credit of some sort for turning in these. Well, if it is so important, they really should let you know you need to show this at the END of the tour and to hold on to it. All in all, it was OK, but we saw Savannah by trolley and it was a much better tour - got to see more of the city, more comfortable.