“Best meal I've ever had” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oak Steakhouse

Oak Steakhouse
17 Broad St, Charleston, SC 29401-3001 (Charlestowne)
843-722-4220
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Oak Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Charlestowne
Cross street: State Street
NYC
“Best meal I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

I simply cannot say enough about how phenomenal this meal was. The steaks that both my husband and I ordered were simply perfect. I suppose they were a *bit* underdone for the technical definition of what we ordered, but the meat was of such a high quality that I can't complain about that at all. The wine list was extensive and varies, and our server very knowledgeable about what kind of wines we may like with our meals and based on other types that we like. Prior to the meal, we received a basket of delectable freshly made breads and crackers, and then our appetizer (a gorgonzola fondue) arrived. Six months later, my mouth still waters when I think about it. As I said before, the steaks were not quite as well-done as we had ordered (a medium rare and a medium), but that was a blessing as being cooked more thoroughly may well have ruined the flavor. Know that the side dishes are meant to be shared: we ordered a serving of mashed sweet potatoes that we could not finish between the two of us, but it was definitely worth the attempt! They were very sweet, almost like eating a dessert with the meal (an exaggeration, of course). Speaking of dessert, I am sorry to say that we did not have room left over to try any, but we do plan to return to have some later.
This meal was expensive, and while I would love to eat here again, I do know that it is highly unlikely. It's a great spot to impress!

new york
“Good food, but not exceptional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

The food was very tasty, but very expensive. The drinks were watered down. Surprising for an expensive steak house. The service however, was very good. Good food, but wouldn't return. Too many excellent restaurants to try in Charleston.

Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Better places to go in Charleston”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2006

My fiancee and I made a reservation at the Oak Steakhouse 1.5 weeks early. We intentionally made our reservation early in the evening (5:30 pm) so that we could have a quiet romantic dinner and also have a "good" table, something with a view perhaps. We told them when making the reservation that we would be there on our honeymoon. The restaurant called that afternoon to confirm our reservation for one. Seems that they would have known by us telling them we would be there on our honeymoon that there were two of us. When we arrived the restaurant was completely empty. We were led to the third floor and seated in the center of the room. We asked to be moved to a window seat, but were told the window seats were reserved. This was definately not the romantic atmosphere that we had in mind. Our server was impeccable. He was very attentive and probably one of the best servers that I have ever had. He brought us a complimentary glass of champagne and congratulated us on our wedding. The food was ok, but nothing to write home about. Our bill was $140 for 2 steak dinners, and we felt the food was not worth the price. Only one of the window seats had been seated when we left, the other two were empty. This restaurant did not offer the experience that we were looking for on our honeymoon. We will be in Charleston again on future anniversaries but this is one dinner we won't repeat.

Lynn Haven
“Oak is not for visitors”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

Charleston is a beautifl city that is welcoming to the many tourist it host. Jestines is not to be missed for lunch, a carriage ride with Myron is a marvelous history of the south and a great first on your list so you get to know the city and can appreciate everytihng you are seeing while just walking down the beautiful (very clean) streets. However, with all of the great dinner restaurants, skip the Oak Steak House. Although when you enter the large crowd makes you think you choosen the right place--it is for locals only. We were 10 minutes late for our reservation as we took a wrong turn, the hostess indicaed we would now need to wai 15 minutes---over ONE hour later we were seated. LOUD, drunk party of young people who though they had thier own private dinning room (pictures, VERY loud, standing up all around our table) meant we could not even have conversation. Wine order taken our waiter returns 14 minutes later to tell us they just sold the last bottle and empty handed of bread. After 25 minutes of being seated we received our wind and bread.
Arrived at 7:40 and left at 10:35---never checked to see how our food was, did aopolgize for the loud group but said their was nothing they could do, offered comp dessert, forgot until we were actually paying, had to turn away my dessert as it did not arrive until my husband had finished his.
Service and seating seemed to be based solely on locals or your VIP status as it stated in thier hostess stand computer. Make another choice.