“Excellent food and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oak Steakhouse

Oak Steakhouse
17 Broad St, Charleston, SC 29401-3001 (Charlestowne)
843-722-4220
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Oak Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 709 Restaurants in Charleston
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Charlestowne
Cross street: State Street
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

My wife and I had the rack of lamb and it was excellent (although the portion could have been larger.) It came with a mushroom risotto that was superb. I also had the steak tartar that was delicious. The drinks were good and they even had some original concoctions that my wife tried. The waiter was knowledgeable and attentive to our needs. The food was not cheap but the quality was well worth it. We would definitely go back again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Columbia, SC
“Not worth it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

This is a nice restaurant with good service and a good bar (drinks), but it is very pricey and hit-or-miss, so not worth the risk. I had the signature Lobster and Shrimp Macaroni and Cheese and it was very bland. Big shrimp and pieces of lobster, but the pasta was very heavy and had no flavor. Two people at our table had the filet and thought it was great. My husband had the $47 NY Strip and said it was hard as a rock. For sides - the brussels sprouts were too sweet, but the mushrooms were good. Dessert did not arrive until we were walking out of the door to catch a show, so we all had a bite of the creme brulee, and it was very mediocre. Charleston has too many great restaurants to go back to this one.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“A MUST try in Charleston.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I've been to most of the popular/upscale restaurants in Charleston and I would say Oak is my FAVORITE (eventually I'll go to them all...and I'll let you know if that changes).

Definitely overpriced but if you're into dining as entertainment-- OAK is a must.

Pittsburgh style steak is divine-- one of the best steaks I've ever had. Not sure if I can say it is "THE BEST EVER" but it is definitely # 1-3 on my list.

Lobster mac & cheese is out of this world-- must try.

Service is usually friendly but they definitely treat you different if you aren't a "BIG SPENDER" -- although, if you eat at Oak you must spend a lot in my opinion, so everyone should be treated as such.

Overall-- give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Decatur, Illinois
“D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

My husband wanted a steak, so we chose the Oak Steahouse. The restaurant is actually three levels. We were on the top level and had a nice view overlooking part of Broad Street.
You will not be disappointed with your meal, but be prepared for the bill at the end. Their menu is 'a la carte.' You pay for each of your selections separately (like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse). My husband got his steak and I went with the rack of lamb. Oh boy, everything was delicous! Even with these prices you will not go away hungry. Trust me!
Bradley, our server, was terrific! You could see that he enjoyed what he was doing and was very helpful in answering all of our questions. If you want a really nice, quiet and amazing dinner, don't miss this one!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charleston, South Carolina
“Local girl loves Oak!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

One of the better restaurants downtown. Not only is the food great, but the chef is an absolute character who is often out on the floor chatting with diners like they are all old friends. The lobster mac n cheese is a must try!!!