“Very attentive staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oak Steakhouse

Oak Steakhouse
17 Broad St, Charleston, SC 29401-3001 (Charlestowne)
843-722-4220
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Oak Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 735 restaurants in Charleston
Cross street: State Street
Morgantown, Pennsylvania
“Very attentive staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We recently went here with some business associates who live in the area. It is one of their favorite places. The service is wonderful, the ambiance is lovely and they have valet parking. Our food was very good but nothing really special. Sides are served family style so make sure that more than one person will like what is ordered. It was good, but not someplace I would go back to.

81% Recommend
Charleston, South Carolina
“Favorite Restaurant in Charleston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I live in Charleston and do my best to try as many restaurants here as possible. Oak still tops the list 8 years after moving here. Wonderful food, service, atmosphere, valet parking....everything! Wonderful steak, sides, cocktails, crabcakes, and carrot cake! We do a large group birthday celebration each February and all 18 people leave very happy.

• Visited May 2013
“Amazing steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Great food, great service, great ambience, this is a must if in Charlestown. Can't think of anything wrong with this steakhouse. Excellent all around.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newnan, GA
“Great steak for my husband!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Reading the menu I was very excited because the flavor combinations sounded wonderful. The ambience was exceptional and it really made it feel like the perfect place for an anniversary or birthday dinner. We had very attentive waiters and I think they did an excellent job which makes a huge difference in your meal. I think our actual waitor was Scott who had a short, neatly trimmed beard. He was wonderful to accommodate during restaurant week our sensitivity to caffeine which kept us from eating the S'Mores dessert. It says in big letters, No Substitutions, but we would have had nothing if he hadn't brought us desserts with no caffeine, especially since it was 9:30 PM! My husband's filet was exceptional along with the sauce. I was hesitant to mention it, but I just noticed another review that said the pork shank has no flavor. The accompaniments did, but the pork, while tender as could be, had no flavor. I loved the sides though and their bread was the best I had had in the city. I wish I knew where they got their bread because I could have made a meal of it! It was a wonderful evening, however, and we loved seeing all the folks all dressed up like they were going to a REAL restaurant instead of a fast food experience. I think their dress showed the respect they had for the Oak Steakhouse. My husband had on a sportcoat and while there were a few blue jean clad folks on our third floor, most folks were dressed for the occasion. The decorations are sophisticated and attractive and the diners are part of that.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Oddly underwhelming...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

After several visits to Oak over the years, I decided to take my girlfriend there for a nice anniversary dinner. There were things that went well about the evening. Our table for two was at the window on the 3rd floor, which was quite nice. Since it was restaurant week, we decided to try that menu. That's when things became quite disappointing. First, our server was quite mediocre. Spent quite a bit of attention with the other tables around us, didn't spend much time making us feel like a valued table. I never ask to be dwelled over, but a little attention by the server is a nice thing on a special evening. 2, the drinks from the bar took forever. 10-15 minutes between an order and a delivery. 3. The general manager quite frankly looked sloppy and sounded even sloppier. She made the rounds on the third floor, giving the same speech to every table about exceeding expectations. Only problem was, I'd heard it 3 times before she even got to our table, since she was quite loud. The food came out, and I'll say I really miss the Brett McKee days. The appetizers were quite bland. My salad was very basic. My girlfriends bisque was tasty, but nothing special. On advice from our server, we ordered the roasted pork shank... Was very tender, but lacked any flavor. The dessert of the evening was a "s'more" with chocolate mousse. It was okay, but again, nothing that would blow you away. We left, feeling very underwhelmed. I've visited Oak several times before, and have always been impressed by the food and service. Tonight, I wasn't. With so many other options, I don't know that I'll give them another chance.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere