“Fantastic, especially for the price” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #42 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Fantastic, especially for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I ended up booking a two-queen suite at Hawthorn for three friends and myself through priceline because the reviews were decent and I wouldn't have to pay anything till we checked in. The service at the front desk was great, we got a single king suite when we first checked in and they moved us with no hassle, they also had readily available sheets and you've got access to all the breakfast accouterments 24 hours (butter, jelly, peanut butter, just the little things).

There are actually two things they don't make a big deal about on the website and that I haven't seen mentioned, first, they've got an indoor pool, which is fantastic, but we didn't know that beforehand, so we weren't prepared. And second, they've got kind of a happy hour thing in the dining room downstairs every afternoon, most nights its just snack, with beer, wine, and sodas, but Wednesdays, they either cook, or restaurants bring in food to go with the drinks. It's nothing major, but we were pleasantly surprised, and it really helped us out not to have to pay for a dinner one night (my group primarily being comprised of poor college students).

The room was nice, I wish they'd have clarified the term "kitchenette" because I was expecting a stove, while the room just had a microwave, sink, and refrigerator. It worked out though, we wouldn't have really used it much anyway, since we mostly went out, but it would've been nice to know. The two queen beds were great, I fell asleep faster than I do at home, and woke up with less aches than I expected. The couch, as a couch, was very comfortable (for a couch, and as an experienced couch-sleeper, it was one of the better ones I've slept on), but my friends who slept on it as a pull-out (we rotated so everyone could be well rested) said it was one of the worst they'd ever slept in, then again, it's a pull-out, and that's expected, so if you plan on using the pull-out, I'd bring an extra blanket or something for padding, otherwise it was fine.

One review I saw commented on the tv's in the room, and I wanted to address that, it looks like they might be in the process of upgrading the rooms, the king suite we accidentally were checked into had two flat screen, Vizio tv's, while the two-queen suite had two CRT tv's so I think they're working their way up.
Also, somebody said something about the neighborhood? You must be from a really nice area, because, this is a pretty great neighborhood, it's not too far from anything, we drove to Sullivan's island in about 20 minutes, and Market St. in about 10 minutes, plus there's a mall like 3 minutes away, and a few grocery stores pretty close.

Overall, it was a great stay and I'm already looking for the next time we can come down and stay at the Hawthorn!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bradenton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

My family recently stayed here for 4 nights, and thought it well worth the money.
1. The breakfast is about as good as I've found for one included with a room. It rivals those at at Mariott's Fairfield Inn or Courtyard. There was cereal, bagels, muffins, english muffins, scrambled eggs, bacon, waffles, yogurt, waffles, apple & orange juice, and coffee.
2. One reviewer mentioned the location didn't make them feel secure. I'd say it's in a middle of the road location, but about what you'd expect for a hotel of this price. I'll add that it's one-tenth of a mile from a Lexus dealership. People don't drive into slums to buy a Lexus, so the Lexus dealer must be OK with the neighborhood. They have free safety deposit boxes at the front desk to store valuables, which we utilized.
3. The room is large enough for 2 adults and 2 kids. My only gripe here would be the TV quality. They are older CRT models rather than flat screens, and the cable TV signal was a bit grainy, especially on the higher numbered channels. On the positive side though, they did have built in DVD players.
4. The internet worked fine, and all the equipment in the fitness center worked.

To sum up, if you don't mind driving 10 minutes to get downtown each day, this is a great hotel for the money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Anonymous
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

I don't know about you, but these days I'm surprised when a company comes through with what they promise, and doesn't mess up in some way. Well, the Hawthorn Suites comes through with flying colors!

We've stayed at Hawthorn Suites before, but I start from scratch at Trip Advisor when I'm looking for a hotel. The ratings for this hotel were good, and the price extremely reasonable, especially compared to the outrageous prices in downtown Charleston, so we gave it a go.

The room was clean, the service was above and beyond. I especially want to single out Rachel at the front desk. On the phone, in person, didn't matter - Rachel went out of her way to make sure we had a good stay. The rest of the staff was friendly and efficient as well.

I was a little wary when I saw the location, as it is on a busy street (Savannah Highway). But I didn't really hear traffic, surprisingly, as I am the type that is easily kept up by noise, and usually wear earplugs when staying away from home. Not here! Very quiet. We did request a room at the back, and on the fourth floor, so that may be a consideration for some.

Value was a definitie consideration, although we value cleanliness and quiet more. But we do tend to try and save where we can, and, for less than $100, with an in-room kitchen, including a microwave, and a separate bedroom and living room, how can you go wrong? This room says "luxury"!

So, all in all, we would highly recommend the Charleston Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham. Once again, this company has surprised me with their quality and value - maybe by this time I shouldn't be surprised!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

Great hotel at a low price. My family and I stayed here for 4 days in October. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room. There was a sitting area that was separate from the room. I was amazed by the breakfast. They had cereal, waffles, eggs, sausage, and bacon. My kids were treated to a history lesson each morning by Mr. Meadows. Can't wait to return!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

This hotel surpassed my expectations. Not only was it exceptionally clean, but we enjoyed a full complimentary breakfast. The bed had a featherbed on it as well as a down comforter. All of the amenities you could ask for were provided. The front desk clerks were exceptionally helpful. Will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

We just came back from a four day stay in Charleston. All four days at this hotel and will most definitely use it again. The check in was quick and simple. The location is fine especially with the savings we had instead of staying in downtown. It only took a short trip to get to downtown Charleston and parking at the visitor's center. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The televisions in both sitting area and bedroom were large flat screen.
The bathroom was huge. Shower hot.
The desk and free wifi made it easy to use computer to take care of business while there.
Breakfast was very sufficient and hot. Happy hour snacks and beverages welcome in the evening. Didn't even need to go to dinner afterward if we chose not to.
Overall a very good experience for our first stay with this company and this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

We stayed at Hawthorn Suites for 3 nights in April prior to our cruise to celebrate our 30th Anniversary. The Hawthorn Suites suited us just fine. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. The hot buffet breakfast is a nice treat and the one bedroom suite we had was great value for the price, coffee maker, microwave and full size fridge. They also offer a free shuttle to the airport, and they helped us reserve a shuttle to the port. We were able to rent a car for two days for under $50.00 so we were able to drive around and do some sight seeing. We loved Charleston and will go back again.
Terry S. Surrey, B.C.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Charleston? Share your experiences!