“Just fair” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Athens Restaurant & Grill

Athens Restaurant & Grill
1939 Maybank Hwy, Charleston, SC 29412 (James Island)
(843) 762-1229
Neighborhood: James Island
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Just fair”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We have been coming here for years as we like Greek food. I tried the Egg plant with spaghetti dish which was excellent and very tasty. The stuffed chicken was fair as was the Gyro which was mediocre. I would skip the Gyro at this restaurant. The service was very good. Atmosphere is acceptable.

Jacksonville, Florida
“Great pita”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I had the best chicken pita here. The pita bread had to have been made earlier that morning. It was awesome. They grilled the pita bread slightly and the chicken was nicely grilled too. The others in my party had pizza, which looked ok. They said it wasn't spectacular like our pitas. The Greek salads looked pretty good too. We had the whole place to ourselves so the service was good. I'd go back for another pita for sure.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, South Carolina
“One of the best Greek restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I recently just ordered from Athens because a lot of my coworkers had mentioned how great their food was. They had generous portions that was in my budget and I took the leftovers home for later. I was pleased with my order of their Beef Kabob and I will be sure to recommend Athens to friends and family in the future. I know they have a lot of options to choose from and I would take a look at their website for other menu options (http://www.athensofcharleston.com/) I look forward to going back and trying some of their other dishes.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Greek at its finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

You don't think of Greek food when you come to Charleston, but a quick trip to Athens will change your mind. Very authentic Greek menu. We did notice a lot of locals coming in and out--seems to be popular among locals. Owner came out and talked with us afterwards, as he did with a number of the tables--adds a nice personal touch to it.

Charleston, South Carolina
“Met my expectations and then some”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I ordered takeout from Athens because I wanted a different pizza than what I have been getting from the other local pizza spots. I wasn't disappointed by the Athens Special as the crust, the sauce and the ingredients were fresher and also resulted in a far less greasy product than some other local pizza places. I also ordered an appetizer of the calamari and a Greek Chicken Salad. The Calamari was cooked a little too long for my taste, this only disappointed me because the person that took my order spoke highly of this dish. The Greek Chicken salad was excellent and considering I had it a whole day later than when I ordered it that is saying something. The only negative I would say is that the food is more expensive than most Greek Diners I have frequented but most aren't that nice atmosphere wise. I am really looking forward to going in to eat there next time.

• Visited March 2012