“Very rocky introduction to this restaurant, but ended up with a great meal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of California Dreaming Restaurant

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #175 of 759 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Eclectic
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Description: Voted “Best Waterfront Dining” and "Best Salad" 10 years running, by Charleston City Paper and “Best French Fries” by West Ashley Patch; here you’ll enjoy “fall-off-the-bone” baby back ribs, giant chicken dishes, award winning salads and slow-cooked prime rib. The energy-packed atmosphere is complete with an expansive, wrap-around patio and bar overlooking the Ashley River. The restaurant also features late night bar bites; large party carry-out and catering, and accessibility for groups. Adjacent to Ripley Light Marina on the Ashley River.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very rocky introduction to this restaurant, but ended up with a great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2005

My husband and I were in Charleston weekend of April 1-3, and had were told by locals that California Dreaming was the one of the best places to eat. I had made reservations three days before and was given a 7:15 PM reservation. First off, the directions to the restaurant are not the best and we got lost because of bad signage on the road (take heed those of you in charge of road signage in your city!!!). I called the restaurant and told them we would be a few minutes late which hostess said was not a problem if we had reservations, which we did. When we arrived, we were told they could not find our reservation!. We waited about 5 minutes and were shunted over to the next hostess station. We were then told we had 3 couples in front of us and were given a beeper. We then proceeded to wait almost 70 minutes before being seated at 8:25 PM. I was livid.
I explained the situation to our waiter (Zack--who was wonderful!!) our situation and he immediately told our section manager and then the general manager Mark. They were extremely apologetic, and really did their best to make it up to us. The food was excellent. I had prime rib and my husband had a sirloin steak. The house salad is excellent along with the creamed spinach. Our appetizer and dessert were"on-the house" along with our beverages. I would definitely return to California Dreaming again, but reconfirm your reservations if you go. Also, please ask for Zack for your waitperson. He was absolutely outstanding!!!

gypsy2004
“The Best Place to Eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2004

If you are going to be in Charleston, the best place to eat is California Dreamin. The food is great. The view is spectacular on the marina. The value is sensational. This is the kind of place where you go time and time again. It is simply one of the best places I have ever taken my family for dinner. Don't let the long lines discourage you. They have more than enough great food for everyone. The Tripadvisor popularity poll ranks this restaurant #90. It is by far the best place in Charleston to eat. It deserves to be #1.