“Terrific Fried Oysters!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill

High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill
199 E Bay St, Charleston, SC 29401-2605 (Downtown)
843-724-3815
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Cumberland
Luverne, MN
“Terrific Fried Oysters!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My wife and I had dinner at High Cotton as it came highly recommended. The ambiance was very fun with jazzy-blue grass music playing and being piped into the dining room. Server was friendly and attentive. I had the scallops as a main course as they came highly recommended. They were very good although I would say probably not the best scallops I've ever had. My wife had a steak which was cooked a bit rarer than she asked for. Otherwise, the entrees were very good. However, I think the highlight, for me, was the appetizer of buttermilk fried oysters. There were, I think, 12 of them on the plate and they were to die for! I've not had a better fried oyster anywhere and I live for oysters! Definitely, a good place to eat while in Charleston.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Whitefish, Montana
“Quality didn't match price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Many around Charleston recommended this place, I can see why. The atmosphere is very nice, we asked about listening to the jazz trio and the hostess assured us the music was piped in to the dining area. If it was I'll need to get a hearing aid. It was pretty busy, perhaps our waiter was really busy as well, we saw him once during the meal. I had the pork chop which was good with Brussels sprouts that were prepared nicely. Good not great. My wife's food was ok as well, just not impressed maybe we had too many better meals.
Lot's of better choices in Charleston for sure.

Visited March 2014
Minneapolis, MN
“Fabulous brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Recently had Sunday brunch here and it was excellent. From buttermilk fried oysters to creative entrees, everything was outstanding. Our young server was friendly and knowledgeable. I'd definitely recommend brush here. And the main dining room is beautiful.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best Pork Chop Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I came in late Friday night and found this wonderful place. We enjoyed everything about our experience. The wine list was great, very knowledgable servers and great recommedations. We started out with the crab cake appetizer which was pretty good. Then came some bread. AHHH the wonderful bread! For our entrees I had the pork chop with creamed corn (which was by far the best I have ever had) and my wife had the filet with fingerling potatoes. This meal was the highlight of our meals while in Charleston and believe me when I say I will be returning. Thansk you for a great experience.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“save your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Starter of fried mushrooms with aioli was very average and sauce was warm and should have been chilled. But that was ok because the scallops I ordered were cold and should have been hot and I did not finish eating it because of the improper preparation. My husband's food was only lukewarm as well. The other two members of our party were mostly satisfied with their food but one became violently ill several hours later. Will never know if it was due to improperly prepared/served food or virus. But eating barely cooked and lukewarm scallops was not reassuring to me. Very expensive for what you get. Better choices all over city and would recommend you try another restaurant. Safe food handling is basic to any restaurant and this place fails miserably. Will not return when I'm next in Charleston. We were actually there to check out the food and service to decide if we would schedule a large private event; needless to say this place is no longer on our list of possibles.

• Visited January 2014