“Perfect food and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill

High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill
199 E Bay St, Charleston, SC 29401-2605 (Downtown)
843-724-3815
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Cumberland
San Rafael, CA
“Perfect food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had the corn crab chowder, the pork chop, the rabbit and a salad and pecan pie. All were absolutely perfect and the service was very friendly and attentive, more casual than you would expect in a place of haute cuisine. Would definitely go back!

Visited October 2013

Conway, SC
“Great wait staff, but they don't cook the meals!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I have eaten here on many occasions for years, but it had been awhile. We do not live in the area, but on a recent visit decided it was time to give it another try. I made a reservation through “Open Table” I requested a booth which is prime real estate because they have only 3. I was seated at my requested table needless to say I was very pleased.

We ordered a glass of wine each. Our waiter did bring us rolls and butter. This is when things started to go downhill. The rolls were so hard literally like small hockey pucks that you could not bite into or even break them apart or cut with a knife. I asked if they had different bread. The waiter said that many other customers have also complained about the rolls. He did pick up the bread basket and take them away. In a few minutes he arrived with fresh rolls. These were a little better, but not perfect. Once they were sitting on the table they hardened up quickly. Oh well we didn't need the carbs anyway.

It gets worse!
I ordered the duck special of the day my husband ordered the Monk-fish. My duck was plated very nicely and cooked medium rare which is what the waiter suggested with no complaints from me. I took my first bite expecting to be in heaven, but I could hardly chew through it. The duck was very tough and chewy. Not one piece was tender. I cook duck at home so I know it is very hard to mess up duck because it is a moist fatty dark meat. I struggled through this and even gave my husband some to confirm my findings which he had problems eating also. The veg's Brussell sprouts and rutabaga were absolutely delicious including a nice sauce with walnuts over the duck. I couldn't finish this dish. Very disappointed. I am not the type that sends food back because I feel food should come out right the first time. I am also afraid of the repercussions from the kitchen if you know what I mean. My husband liked his Monk fish but was very confused with the heavy tasting sauce that seemed to smother the delicate flavor of the fish. All in all not a good evening.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Very Classy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

While in Charleston there are many places that offer traditional cuisine, very fresh seafood and just great to relax and enjoy the culture. We enjoyed our visit at High Cotton after an art opening hosted at a nearby Fine Art Gallery for the Annual American Impressionist Society show. After the show, we just strolled into the restaurant on a Thursday evening without reservation, and they are recommended, but were immediately offered seating in the bar area. This area in the restaurant appears to be structured to handle walk-in as they offer both a bar and full menu. The food was very good, very fresh and well presented. I would say the service in this busy establishment was a bit slow but not too bad to be a negative. If you are looking for something that has white tablecloths and is bit more classy than the typical Pub places in Charleston, I would certainly recommend High Cotton.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Hampshire
“Glad we waited for our reservation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Unbeknownst to us we had booked our trip during restaurant week and we had only made a reservation for one of the nights. High Cottons menu was the most appealing in the area surrounding high cotton.
I went for the Carpaccio which was fantastic and had the Bacon Wrapped Rabbit Loin with cheddar grits. The rabbit was amazing and I was introduced to grits and if all grits are that good, I'm sold. The serving sizes were by no ways small.
My wife got the restaurant week special and everything was great. The creme brulee was one of the best I have ever had. Our waiter was great. Even the Manhattan was great.
I would most definitely return here if I return to Charleston and would recommend this restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Great cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

You are spoilt for choice when it comes to eating out in Charleston and East Bay Street alone is wall to wall restaurants. High Cotton, right in the middle of all the action, is a large buzzing eatery with wood flooring and nice vibe. It's not a one off but part of a small chain of restaurants focused on South Carolina; indeed there is another High Cotton in Greenville but don't be put off by it being a chain; this is good quality cooking with a Southern twist. Our starter of fried oysters were good although maybe the coating of breadcrumbs could have been lighter. The entrees of Pork Chop and Lowcountry boil were excellent however and the presentation first class. Only some overly fried (read burnt) brussel sprouts let the sides down somewhat. Service was attentive and knowledgeable. For the quality of the cooking its pretty good value too.

• Visited September 2013