“Gorgeous and the food is outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill

High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill
199 E Bay St, Charleston, SC 29401-2605 (Downtown)
843-724-3815
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 736 restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Cumberland
Houston, Texas
“Gorgeous and the food is outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Charleston has amazing restaurants but this one of my favorites. It's beautiful and what a visitor hopes to find in Charleston. Service is impeccable.

And the food - off the charts!! They immediately bring over a basket of warm corn bread which was so good I didn't need butter. I had a red pepper bisque which was out of this world and a shrimp BLT on brioche.

Do not miss this restaurant - it is a gem in Charleston.

84% Recommend
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Best steak of my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We went to High Cotton in December 2012, and we'll definitely be returning on our next trip to Charleston. We've eaten at many of Charleston's better restaurants, including Magnolias and Poogan's Porch and this one blows them out of the water! I ordered the filet with bacon bourbon reduction and it was heavenly. We also had fried pimento cheese ( Poogan's Porch's only success, in my experiences) and it was beyond delicious. Truly and exceptional dining experience.

St. Augustine, FLorida
“Ratings making this No. 21 not justified”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We almost avoided High Cotton because the ratings were much lower they should be, and we count on Tripadvisor to recommend the best restaurants and you have failed on the ratings of this restaurant. This is an outstanding example of a restaurant filled with southern charm. We were headed to another one across the street, but it was closed for lunch, and so we went to High Cotton. We will return again and again. The food was excellent. I had chicken and waffles. The chicken was rolled over a wonderful spicy sausage on fluffy waffles, maple syrup. My husband's food was also delicious. The service was warm, friendly and professional, the live music divine. SO, why is this restaurant so far down the scale of great Charleston restaurants? I give it a much higher rating.

Sydney
“Delicious - family with 3 fussy eaters happy!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Our 3 teenagers are a nightmare to feed but High Cotton provided outstanding meals and service - anywhere that all 5 of us enjoy is a big win for us - thank you High Cotton!!

Visited December 2012
Charleston, South Carolina
“Good Music Good Food Good Drink”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Hey absolutely all of the title of this review is correct, and I am a return visitor. Atmosphere was excellent, food even better, although at a COST indeed! The drinks couldn't have been better, if they wanted to, and apparently the bartender and chef, knew his/her/their trade... WOW! We were invited to take to the dance floor, by an ever so charming singer (Ann Cauldwell, I believe), and that we did, and were joined by others, and those who only spectated, did so enthusiastically... what a time we had. In fairness, I believe our experience was worth the HIGH COST of High Cotton! Yep, you got it, I'll be going back again, to see how fast I can become broke... again.