“If you love seafood” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Magnolias

Magnolias
185 E Bay St, Charleston, SC 29401-2126 (Downtown)
843-577-7771
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnolias is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, European, Continental, Contemporary
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
North Carolina
“If you love seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2006

A friend and I had dinner at Magnolia's on Friday night. Although the restaurant was busy and full it was not noisy. The server was extremely well informed, courteous and unobtrusive. The food was quite good. My friend from MA wanted Southern fried chicken and they devlivered a very good version. I had an exceptional dish, seafood (scallops, shrimp and lobster) with grits.
A comfortable, pleasant place to dine.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Worth the Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2006

We ate dinner at Magnolias based upon the reviews found on-line, as well as word of mouth. The menu exceeded all of our expectations by providing an interesting twist on several Southern favorites. We especially liked the BBQ Fried Shrimp. My wife wasn't particularly fond of the Butternut Squash Ravioli, but that can be attributed to personal taste rather than anything specific. My salmon was excellent, as was the service overall. There are a multitude of restaurants that we would like to try in Charleston, but it'll be hard not to return to Magnolias. The free parking was an added plus on a Friday night.

Manassas, VA
“Great lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2006

I went to this restaurant at the recommendation of a local resident for lunch. I sat at the bar and had a wonderful chat with a couple of other diners and the bar tender. One thing that was pleasant to see was the interaction of the staff and how much they enjoyed working with each other. The food was fantastic I had a wonderful salad, the crab and corn soup and the seafood and grits in lobster sauce. Huge portions, great flavor, wonderful environment.

Savannah
“A Great Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2005

Our first meal in Charleston was sort of a happy accident. We walked into downtown, just looking for a hot meal, and after perusing several menus posted in windows that didn’t appeal to us we came across Magnolia’s.

Even though we weren’t dressed for fine dining we were ushered right in with no wait. The service was impeccable, and the food was fantastic.

I had the salmon, and my g/f had the 6 ounce filet with crabmeat. Both were excellent. For two entrees, wine & beer with a dessert for one of us the bill was around $85. Very reasonable.

Definitely recommended from a seasoned traveller.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Those with restricted diets BEWARE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2005

My company had a large dinner at Magnolias on August 30, 2005. We had about 45 attendees and were seated in a private dining room.

Our appetizer was a Crab Cake served with sauteed spinach on a bed of black beans. When I was eating the dish, I noticed a strange taste and texture in my bite of food. I spit out something slimy that looked like pork. [Even though I eat seafood, I do not eat other meat. I grilled the waitress about each course of our dinner prior to ordering.] I finally got the attention of a waiter to ask if there was bacon in the crab cake. He insisted that there was no bacon, and I warily began eating again. A few minutes later, he came back to inform me that the chef had cooked the black beans with bacon. He had told none of the wait staff about this 'special' ingredient. At this point, the manager asked what he could do. Honestly, I do not know what he expected me to say.

I am shocked that a restaurant which is expensive and supposed to be of high caliber would use pork in a dish being served to a large group of people without informing the wait staff or listing the pork as an ingredient on the menu. One of my co-workers had to contact her doctor since she is on a restricted diet. Others for health or religious reasons have chosen not to eat pork but did unknowingly.

I would never recommend a restaurant where the staff has NO IDEA what's in the food being served.