“Best fried chicken I've ever eaten” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Magnolias

Magnolias
185 E Bay St, Charleston, SC 29401-2126 (Downtown)
843-577-7771
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnolias is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, European, Continental, Contemporary
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: located between Cumberland & Queen Streets
Transit: Charleston CARTA to and from Visitors Center can be picked up 1/2 block from the restaurant on the quarter hour. There are also local cab companies and Charleston's famous Rickshaws that will transport guests to their hotels.
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
“Best fried chicken I've ever eaten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Four of us went to lunch at Magnolias. . I'm not a fan of fried chicken as it's usually way too greasy. This was crisp, perfectly seasoned in a buttermilk crust and melted in my mouth. The collard greens were lightly steamed in a vinaigrette dressing. The others in our group were equally complimentary about their meals. Lovely old brick interior. Tastefully decorated. Attentive server. I'd go back

• Visited March 2013

Sarasota, FL
“Fried green tomatoes?! YUM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Never really had the opportunity of eating fried green tomatoes, growing up in the midwest.. most certainly nothing like these?! Had lunch at Magnolias upon arrival in Charleston, and wanted to go back there for all my meals, as the food was superb and the atmosphere was charming. Can't wait to return!

Visited June 2013
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Best meal we've had since our honeymoon in Napa a year ago. We started by ordering a bottle of sauv blanc (Mira). Our waiter was outstanding, thoroughly knowledgeable about the menu, and made excellent recommendations. The fried green tomatoes set the standard for all others. I had the melon salad, wife had the black-eyed pea salad. I had the habanero rubbed ahi (rare), and it was the best tuna I've ever had. My wife had the flounder, which was a touch dry, but the risotto balanced and made up for that. We split the pecan pie for desert and were thoroughly impressed. With each dish, or server gave an excellent summary of the chef's techniques and reasoning for the presentation. The only negative thing I have to say is that we should not have eaten here first, as it set the bar very high for all the other restaurants!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Excellent food... excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I loved Magnolias. The atmosphere is very nice, and the restaurant serves some of the best low country food in Charleston. We went for Sunday brunch, where I had shrimp and grits and my husband had blue crab eggs benedict. We also had their famous fried green tomatoes as an appetizer. The combination of the flavorful sauce, grits, and tomatoes had a lot of depth and was delicious. Our server was friendly, polite, and knew how to serve without being overbearing. We wanted to try a variety of restaurants during our stay in Charleston, so we did not end up coming back, but I would highly recommend this establishment to anyone who is in downtown Charleston and wants to experience exquisite and authentic low country style food.

“Still a delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

20 years after our first meal at Magnolias it is still a delight. Southern cuisine done impeccably well, friendly helpful staff, and lovely decor. Seafood and grits, fried green tomatoes, blueberry bread pudding are all dreamy.