“service is everything...” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Slightly North of Broad is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 759 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Faber Street
Description: Slightly North of Broad is a Lowcountry bistro that brings together an abundance of local ingredients and thoughtful, expert presentation with a friendly, contagious energy. Here the dining room is a natural extension of the kitchen, a place where culinary skill, a clever, considered wine program, warm service, and conversations meld together. Our local farmers, fishermen and producers are as integral to the food we make as they are to our place in this community.
New York City, New York
“service is everything...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have had this restaurant on my "To go" list for a long long time. I live in Manhattan and consider myself a bit of a foodie, so when I was able to score a seat at the Chef's table, I was so excited. Unfortunately, the view is completely obstructed by a fall festival display, so you don't get to watch the action in the kitchen at all. Kinda defeats the purpose of the table! Anyway, I feel that I can't give an honest review of this restaurant because I think my waiter ruined my entire experience. This guy really put the "SNOB" in SNOB. If you didn't like his up-selling of everything from wine to appetizers to entrees, he almost rolled his eyes and walked away. The big thing here is pushing the BBQ Tuna. I don't like fried oysters, so wanted to go with something else. After that I was basically forgotten. Of note, I did change my order and go with his appetizer recommendation, which, of course, was the Tuna. Skip it. Totally uninspired dish with the same citrus segments and avocado chunks you see on every menu, placed unthoughtfully on the plate. Enjoyed the scallop, which he didn't recommend. Overall a very cold and "Too cool for school" attitude. I'm sure there is some good food at this place, but I don't feel it's worth it if you have to deal with rude, inattentive staff.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Summit, New Jersey
“Wonderful Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We've heard that everyone in Charleston thinks they do the best shrimp and grits, but the version we had at SNOB was really extraordinary, as were our appetizers. We really wanted to give it 5 stars, and would go back in a heartbeat, but the service was a bit uneven when we were there, and we have to call them like we see them!

Visited October 2012
Kiawah Island, South Carolina
“Good food, felt rushed by staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I always like their menu and food. However on our last visit the place was very busy and the service staff was not attentive to us.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Port Republic
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We made special plans and reserved the chefs table with wine pairings. We were really looking forward to his night. Sorry to say we were disappointed. We thought the purpose of the chefs table was to show off the very best of what the kitchen has to offer. There was nothing really wrong with anything we had as far as the meal was concerned we just were not blown away like we expected. A few of the dishes were uninspried and I feel I could have made myself at home. They did a great job with the wine pairings and explaining everything to us. We fully expected to enjoy it so much that we would come back another night during our stay. That did not happen. You may have better luck picking from the menu. That I cannot comment on but I would not do the chefs table again.

Visited October 2012
ny
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stranded for 2 extra days in the south due to Hurricane Sandy, we drove to Charleston from our original trip to Savannah.
We were unprepared for the cold snap that came to Charleston, and were wearing layers upon layers of light weight clothing, jeans and sneakers.
We called S.N.O.B. (don't you love that?) to make sure it was 1. open on a Monday and 2. ok for us to come for dinner dressed so informally and were told it was fine. When we arrived, we saw a beautiful restaurant where most of the clientele was dressed for dinner at a fine establishment.
We were made to feel comfortable (more so after well poured cocktails) and enjoyed one of the best meals of our week long trip south.
I recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys fine food.

• Visited October 2012