“I got lured to Martha Lou's” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Charleston, South Carolina
“I got lured to Martha Lou's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was watching TV and that Zimmerman guy was on doing a special on Charleston and he was in Martha Lou's with a local chef. Martha Lou sat next to me today and explained how it all went down for the episode. Very nice, friendly people. The fried chicken was delicious as were all my sides; collards, limas, and mac and cheese, and the tea is oh so sweet. $11, can't beat that. I'm still full. Look forward to going back. They gave me a chitterlings sample; not bad.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Skillman, New Jersey
“What a Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you want real southern soul food in a small pink shack with murals inside and out, this is it. I smiled the whole time I was there with my family. This place is a real institution! Place only seats maybe 2 dozen people. Staff is energetic and very friendly. Fried chicken was to die for. Collards, black eyed peas, corn bread all great. Need a car to get there from downtown Charleston but well worth the short 10 minute drive. Don't miss it!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Martha Lou Is The Real Deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We've wanted to eat here for years, and finally did today. What a treat! Martha Lou's granddaughter was waiting tables and doing a fine job. We got our iced tea promptly. Martha Lou was a little backed up in the kitchen so we were brought lima beans (which we didn't order) in case we were starving. The lima beans were smokey and delicious. Soon we got our fried chicken, cabbage, and cornbread. The fried chicken was perfect. The cabbage was a slightly spicy tasty delight, and we got the last two pieces of cornbread which was light and delicious. The lima beans and cabbage were cooked with salt pork or salt cured bacon which made them a little salty, but the great flavor still came through. Our bill came to $22 including food and tea. Martha Lou came out of the kitchen when things slowed down. What a sweet lady. We thought the place was clean with a little wear around the edges. Murals on the wall were charming and the radio was playing everything from Michele Obama speeches to rockin' soul. We love this place and will return anytime we're even near Charleston.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
reading, pa
“Great Fried Chicken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This little pink shack is a great place for real Southern cuisine. It is a traditional meat and 3. I would definitely get the fried chicken. Even the chicken breast was moist and juicy. It had a great crispy and flavorful coating. The cornbread was great. I found the collards to be way to salty. My family loved the bread pudding, but I found it too sweet. Great friendly service too.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, SC
“Love the local flavor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were driving by as we had many times and finally took the plunge. Martha Lou's is a colorful building but the surroundings do give you pause. Go ahead. Take the plunge.

We had fried chicken that was very good, not even breaded until you order it, so it is very fresh. The okra soup was good, although different then what I have had in the past. A savory tomato sauce base, almost like spaghetti sauce, with okra. I loved it.

The collards were good and the mac n cheese tasty but a bit overcooked. Water comes in bottles, not from the tap.

Service is spotty. When we arrived the place was half full but no one told us to wait, sit, or whatever. Martha Lou was busy in the kitchen and the lady who was waiting tables seemed confused, to say the least. I finally asked if we should sit and she nodded yes. Then we waited. It was not until another party sat down and grabbed menus that I had any inkling as to procedure. I also grabbed a menu but the waitress snatched it up and handed us a hand written menu of the day's offerings. She waited on the other table first, then when I got up to leave she remembered us and took our order. Don't come here expecting orderly or fast service. The restroom is located outside--ask for the key...If you like to experience local flavor you should try this place.

I do plan on returning at some point to try the fish, which looked divine as it passed by our table...

• Visited December 2012