“Great experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of McCrady's Restaurant

McCrady's Restaurant
2 Unity Alley, Charleston, SC 29401-3009 (Downtown)
843-577-0025
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
McCrady's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 759 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: East Bay & Broad
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

My hubby and I were in Charleston for just one night, and had heard great things about mcCradys. We were not disappointed. We tried the tasting menu paired with the wine selections- we were pleasantly surprised at some of the wine selections, things we would have never chosen ourselves, but then I guess that's why they have a solmenier! There are some complaints on here about portion size, and since we had the tasting menu the portions are supposed to be very small, just a bite or two (that's the whole point), we did not leave hungry that's for sure! Everything was cooked to perfection, really loved the Portland the duck courses! Delicious!!

“Not a good night for McCrady's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I have been to McCrady's before and thoroughly enjoyed the meal, wine and knowledgable, attentive staff. This visit, however, was beyond disappointing. We had a made a reservation a couple of weeks ago and the restaurant called and confirmed with us on Friday. We arrived on time and were given two options for tables - one table was immediately beside the hostess station near the front door. Every time the door opened we knew it would be cold so we opted for the other available table. This table was tucked in the bar area. I wasn't terribly pleased with this option either because frankly when you are dropping $200 on dinner (w/wine pairing) you don't want to sit in a bar. We sucked it up though until again the door kept opening and bringing in the cold air. They moved us to a corner in the dining room. my back was to the dining room but I had a beautiful view of watching the staff slice bread and again overflow from the bar as patrons sat on a stone wall (separating the bar from the main dining-room) chatting.

Our first course arrived - it was a crab dish. The taste was good but I had shells in mine. I didn't bring to the attention of the waiter as I realize this can happen from time to time. The waiter then brought our second wine out and we awaited the second course - NOTE: I had looked at the menu on line about 1/2 hour before we left and the second course had a scallop offering - upon getting there this item was no longer on the menu. They had not run out but rather didn't have any to begin with. Anyway, we both had an alternate - me - shrimp and my husband a white fish. We sat and sat looking at our wine glass awaiting the food to go with it. Finally it was delivered by an alternate wait staff and it was luke warm at best. We sent it back and the manager came over and apologized and said she would make it right and get new selections right out to us. She delivered on this promptly and also checked back with us. The third selection of wine was poured and the meal delivered My husband ordered lamb cooked at medium temp. I ordered sirloin medium/rare. Just when we thought this couldn't get worse - we were very wrong. My husband's lamb was literally cold in the middle and my steak was tough as nails. The manager came back over, concurred with our opinion and offered to fix. At this point we were done with the horrible food and even refused the fourth course (dessert). Mind you these courses are 3 -4 oz in size so we left hungry. The manager Kellie H was very professional and apologetic about the situation but the damage was done. I believe the first screw up of cold food was the waiter's fault and not watching his tickets. The second screw up was 100% the chef. So, we tipped our waiter for his efforts and left. It is disappointing when you think you have found that special place when traveling and then have such a let down

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, North Carolina
“oh man! Soooo Good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

i ate there during restaurant week. i was not disappointed. amazing food. i had tile fish, absolutely perfect. only complaint, portion was on the small side. i would definately recommend eating there.

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Overly priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We are locals and have visited this restaurant several times. However each time we leave, our comment is, "We paid a lot of money for very little food." Then we head to Kaminsky's for a delicious dessert because we are still hungry.

Visited December 2012
Charleston, South Carolina
“Charleston's finest.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

McCrady's has been reliably excellent for many years. I would add that it's now also a dining adventure. Three of us were there recently, and I'm pretty sure that not one of our 12 dishes were things we had eaten before. It's expensive, yes. Also delicious and fun.

• Visited January 2013