“OMGoodness... Delicious!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Workmen's Cafe

Workmen's Cafe
1837 N Grimball Rd, Charleston, SC 29412 (James Island)
+1 843-225-0884
Improve this listing
Ranked #147 of 759 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Café, Family Fare
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: James Island
Description: Homemade Goodness, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, meatloaf and gravy, fried pork chops, mac and cheese. Everything your grandma or mom cooked when you were a child.
Goose Creek, South Carolina
“OMGoodness... Delicious!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Having already seen great reviews on Tripadvisor, my son, grandson and I decided to head over from Goose Creek to James Island and make a late afternoon stop for lunch at Workman's Cafe' to personally sample some of Angie's lengendary fried chicken (meatloaf, you'll have to wait until my next visit!!), mac 'n' cheese and veggies. Even though it was way past the customary lunch "rush", we were served some of the BEST, hot, moist, tasty, fresh-from-the-fryer-chicken ever!! And, don't even get me started on the decadent mac 'n' cheese and lima beans! ;) While the chicken was finishing its time frying, I enjoyed a wonderful conversation with Angie and learned that she has been in business for three years in this location. I also learned that this interesting woman earned her Master's at Indiana State and runs the restaurant as a one-woman show ~ what a show, too! I was rather surprised that my husband and I had only recently heard that her homey, very clean, off-the-beaten-path business existed. Well, we know NOW ~ and I will be treating my hubby to this delicious fare on Friday when Workman's is open until 6pm. He's got to have the fried chicken and I will be trying out Angie's meatloaf,,, oh, and we'll BOTH be having mac 'n' cheese, thankyou. :) As others have posted, don't give up on finding this place off Folly Road, right beyond the juncture of Grimball Road and Riverland Dr; you'll find both the food and conversation are good for the soul.

• Visited July 2014

Charlotte, NC
“Best Southern Comfort Food in Charleston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

You won't find Workmen's Cafe unless you are looking for it, and you should look for it. Open for lunch only, the proteins vary by day. Check the webpage or call ahead if you want to know what the day's fare will be.

We have had a second home in Charleston for 10 years, and trust me, this is the best food of this kind you will find, at the best price, in the friendliest environment. Everyone at Workmen's is happy, and you will be, too.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Angie B, Manager at Workmen's Cafe, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
You too kind with your words. I thank you so much. It is my desire that the customer tastes the passion that goes into my food. I love what I do. Again thanks and hope to see you again soon.
Charleston, South Carolina
“Workmen's cafe'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Workmen's Cafe' is a small, restaurant on Grimball Road on James Island. The food was home style and delicious! Between us, we had fried chicken, collards, squash, rice, beans and cornbread. I can't wait to try her meatloaf! The owner of the restaurant served us with graciousness and was most enjoyable to chat with. It took us a few tries to find her open (Tues - Sat. 11-4; soon to expand her hours) but it was well worth the effort.

• Visited January 2014
Charleston
“Southern "Hip Food"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

OMG - This little cafe will add 5lbs to your already spreading hips. Truly your bank for the buck! The guys loved the portions, however, I couldn't finish my meal and took the leftovers home for dinner. This lady makes the best mac/cheese Ive ever had. Will definitely go back.

• Visited July 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“I hope this little bitty place survives!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We happened upon this spot passing through the short cut from Folly Rd to Maybank Hwy. it happened to be open for business. What a treat! One criticism...the portions were too big! No kidding. If you are a Workman(!!!), by all means, go get the blue plate special, with three veggies and a meat, and rolls or cornbread, and banana pudding. Excellent.

Visited November 2012
Angie B, Manager at Workmen's Cafe, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thanks to all who took the time out to write a review. I really appreciate your honest and heartfelt sentiments. I truly love what I do. God knows that I do. I trust your visit was the same at the end as it was from the beginning. I strive everyday to do better by constantly listening to my customers and seeking ways to improve. I hope to see you again real soon. Again thank you.