“Great Bar” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wasabi Japanese Steak House

Wasabi Japanese Steak House
61 State St, Charleston, SC 29401-2026 (Downtown)
843-577-5222
Neighborhood: Downtown
New York City, New York
“Great Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Me and my husband visited Charleston two weeks ago and decided to grab some sushi and drinks before dinner. We came into Wasabi on Thursday during happy hour and found a very pleasant young man bartending. He served us and gave us great advice about place to visit while in town. We enjoyed our sushi and drinks and went to our dinner reservations. The next day we decided to do the same but my husband decided that the service was outstanding and wanted to stay and eat dinner at Wasabi and cancel our other dinner reservations. Overall outstanding service and food. If in town go visit and enjoy the great happy hour and food at wasabi.

• Visited January 2013

Myrtle Beach
“Best sushi I have ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My family and I decided to grab some sushi to go from here on our way back to our hotel. (It was late and dinner had been a while ago) I am so glad we did, their sushi was the most amazing and flavorful I have ever had. My whole family agreed and we are all big sushi eaters. The hostess who took our order was very friendly and our order was put together quickly. We are definitely going back on our next visit to the area.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great sushi with a side of terrible service!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have always loved the sushi here, but after last Friday night I might not bother to go back. My boyfriend and I sat at the bar just in time to watch the bartender and one of the servers do a shot, before greeting us. We give him our drink order, receive some menus. Everything was fine until I needed a second drink. My glass sat empty for over 5 minutes. Finally he looked at the empty glass, made eye contact with me, and started to walk over when another guest asked for their check. The guest then offers to buy the bartender a shot. All he needed to do was look at me and say "I'll be with you in just a minute" acknowledgement goes a long way. Instead he did the shot, and proceeded to carry on with a few other tasks. My glass was empty for 10 minutes before he finally came over and acted surprised to see that I needed a drink. He then starts to take our plate, with sushi still on it. I was waiting for something to drink so I could finish my food. We were still hungry and would have spent more money there, but we were so frustrated we decided to go elsewhere. When we asked for the tab he went and printed it, and put it into a checkbook. But before giving it to us he stopped to talk to another guest, do another shot, and loudly tell a story about some concert and a woman who was on so many drugs she was acting inappropriately. (His wording was much more colorful, and completely inappropriate.) All while we are still waiting for the tab. So we called another restaurant with a takeout order while sitting there. I would like to mention there were no more than 8 people at the bar, including us, the entire time. Maybe it was because we walked in wearing sweatshirts on a Friday, but then I didn't realize Wasabi was now a fine dining establishment (sarcasm.) My boyfriend and I have both been in the F&B industry for over a decade. He lost revenue for the restaurant, extra money for himself, and possibly my return business. I know if I do decide to go back and he's behind the bar, I will turn around and walk right back out again!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charleston, South Carolina
“Best sushi downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Wasabi has the best sushi for a great price. We went on Tuesday and could pick any roll for half off!! The best part is the food is really good and fresh. It's great atmosphere and its still a secret for the price.

West Palm Beach, Florida
“Great Sushi! Thank you Dwy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I went there for our anniversary dinner. We sat at the sushi bar and ordered our drinks. Since my husband is not into sushi he started asking the Chef, Dwy, what he should try. Dwy said that he would surprise him. I honestly don't remember what Dwy prepared for him, but my husband ordered a second one! We both had a great time and we enjoyed very much our conversation with Dwy.

Visited November 2012