“Favorite restaurant in Charleston!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mustard Seed

Mustard Seed
1978 Maybank Hwy, Charleston, SC 29412 (James Island)
(843) 762-0072
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #214 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: James Island
Lexington, South Carolina
“Favorite restaurant in Charleston!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have eaten at this restaurant many times and never had the experience the "make-reservations" "Nothing special" reviewer had! Every time we have been, the food has been dynamic ... VERY different in a good way than what you will find any "any other" restaurant.

In fact, I highly recommend it as a must-try restaurant for those visiting Charleston. It does not have the allure of the downtown location that those there have, but it is well worth venturing out away from downtown a little for something with great flavor and at very reasonable prices.

The service we've had there has also always been good. I actually took 3 friend there last year when there for a women's conference and they all loved it, so much so that one who went back called me while down there for the location... she was going back!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Basehor, Kansas
“Sunny2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This place was packed when we got there. My daughter had the pasta and I had one of the chicken dishes. It was a lot of food but we had to have one of their desserts so we shared the carrot cake.....it was a very large piece of cake and was sure worth trying.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stow, Massachusetts
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We went for the veggie-filled menu, but the veg.friendly choices we tried were not nearly as flavorful as we hoped. Best of the bunch was sweet potato-filled pasta, but asparagus with linguini had little flavor and warm mushroom salad with feta over greens was dull as well. Our waitress, perhaps she was just having an off day, took at least 10 minutes to tell us our request for a starter was unavailable, which left us thinking it took her 10 min utes to even place our order in a nearly empty restaurant. She also forgot to order part of our entree request. Lackluster service did nothing to improve our experience of mediocre dishes, in a dining room nearly void of any attempt at design. Overall, quite a flat, disappointing experience.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Winchester, KY
“Annual treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Every June we visit Seabrook and one of the highlights is the meal at the Mustard Seed. I have never eaten at a restaurant with such a great combination of quality, choice, and customer service. A great stop for families, especially those with a picky eater or two. At most places I am the one that orders the same same thing year after year- not here. This years highlights were the Pecan-crusted goat cheese salad and the amazing corn chowder.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Groveland, Florida
“Tickle Your Taste Buds at the Mustard Seed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This restaurant has a very laid back feel. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable about the day's offerings. The daily offerings are posted on a blackboard that is brought to your table.

We were here for lunch. While we were deciding what to order, we had a basket of fresh herb bread. Then we had another. It was so good, especially when dipped in the olive oil.

One of our party opted for crab cakes on a field of greens. The crab cakes were a nice size and had just enough crackers to hold them together.

My husband selected the shrimp and crab salad with Granny Smith apples. I wish I had taken a picture - it was a beautiful presentation.

I had the roasted chicken and caramelized pear salad with bleu cheese sprinkles. Amazing!

My only regret: we ate too much bread and didn't have room for their amazing looking desserts.

Visited May 2013