“An Enjoyable French-Style Bistro” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #117 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Description: Located in historic downtown Charleston , SC , 39 Rue de Jean is a refined French cafe and bar offering the best in classic Brasserie cuisine. The creations of our culinary team pay homage to the classic brasserie cuisine that inspired vehemently loyal Parisians. Guests of 39 Rue de Jean enjoy indoor/outdoor patio seating, cocktails and a predominantly French wine list blended with a selection of our steward's favorites.39 Rue de Jean offers a private dining room that can be transformed to host professional gatherings or celebratory affairs, accommodating up to 200 guests. This unique space, overlooking Upper King Street, features vaulted ceilings, exposed brick and a private entrance
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“An Enjoyable French-Style Bistro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I've eaten here a couple of times in the last six months. This restaurant has a comfortable feel. Service is generally excellent, but a bit variable. I found sitting outside on a warm afternoon particularly enjoyable. (Our server on this occasion was superb.) The wine list is not extensive, but there are a number of excellent selections at reasonable price-points. I've enjoyed the Frisee Lyonnaise salad, mussels in curry, and the cheese plate. While not traditional French bistro food, the sushi is very good. I've also had delicious oysters on the half-shell. Overall, a very comfortable environment for a relaxing, but casual, meal.

Visited November 2013
WhittneyP, Public Relations Manager at 39 Rue de Jean, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Illahee3103,

We are thrilled that you had a great dining experience with us at 39 Rue De Jean. We appreciate your kind words and review. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to the Holy City.

Marketing Director

Holy City Hospitality: Coast, 39 Rue de Jean, Virginia's on King, Good Food Catering

Massachusetts
“Paris in Charleston, SC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Situated near the Visitors Center once you enter the restaurant you get the true feel of a Paris Bistro. Lots of dark wood. h
The food is excellent with a variety of french offerings. Quicke, onion soup, croque monsieur, burgers, frittes and salads.
I had a burger with frittes and it was outstanding. My friend had a pulled beef sandwich that was also very good.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
CB-Mass,

NC
“Very Good French Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Myself and two friends, visiting the city for two days to celebrate one of our birthdays decided on this restaurant for the birthday dinner because of it's reputation plus one of the ladies and her husband had dined here before and said it was wonderful. It was very good and although no salad came with any of the entrees, it wasn't needed for us. The entrees had generous portions and were served with a vegetable and a starch. The bread was super wonderful. The ambiance was terrific and tables are set far apart for "privacy", unlike other French bistros where you are practically shoulder to shoulder with the next table. Our server was attentive. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a very special meal.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
PottergirlNC,

We are thrilled that you had a great dining experience with us at 39 Rue De Jean. We appreciate your kind words and review. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to the Holy City, and hope your Birthday was a complete success.

Charleston, SC
“Excellent food, kinda noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Rue de Jean was a stop on a Charleston Culinary Tour that my hubby and I went on recently. We were treated to a steaming bowl of buttery mussels and some pomme frites. Although I love seafood, I've had a bunch of bad, gritty mussels in the past so I'm usually reluctant to ordering them at a restaurant. I'm glad I was introduced to Rue de Jean's mussels. They were fantastically buttery and garlicky. The fresh french bread that is served with it is a nice vehicle to soak up all the buttery broth left in the bowl.

At my most recent visit, for lunch, I ordered the onion gratin soup and the portobello sandwich. I have to say, without a doubt, that this is the best onion soup I've ever had. The presentation is excellent, and the broth is so flavorful. What I love most about is is that is isn't laden with salt that I feel many other onion soups so often are, especially at restaurants.

My hubby is a big fan of their burger, which is quite large and served on a toasted brioche bun. They know how to cook a burger to temperature, so if you typically order something medium rare expecting it to be medium by the time you get it, don't do that here. If you order medium rare, you will get it. Fortunately, our server warned us of this ahead of time and he ordered the temperature he actually wanted. It came out perfectly cooked. It comes with a huge serving of fries, that we split.

I would love to give RdJ 5 stars, but we waited a good 45 mins after we ordered for our meals. The soup did come out rather quick, which held us over until our entrees came, but it wasn't terribly busy so I am not sure why our food took so long, considering we ordered pretty uncomplicated stuff. The other thing that was a bit of a turn off for me was the level of noise. The restaurant was only half full, maybe, and it was extremely loud. I think this is in part due to the aluminum ceiling that they have. I can't imagine how loud this place must be for an evening meal. So beware of this if you are looking for a romantic meal...the noise will prevent any communication.

For the quality of food that you receive and the really central location in Charleston, I feel the prices at Rue de Jean are excellent and really, really reasonable.

Visited September 2013
MsDeebs,

We are thrilled that you had a great dining experience with us at 39 Rue De Jean. We appreciate your kind words and review. We look forward to hosting you again in the new year!

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Tasty and affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Even if you are a vegetarian and everyone talks only of the hamburgers at Rue de Jean, you will still enjoy the fare. Lunchtime is a great option because they are efficient and the food is very good.

• Visited March 2013