“Great Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #117 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Description: Located in historic downtown Charleston , SC , 39 Rue de Jean is a refined French cafe and bar offering the best in classic Brasserie cuisine. The creations of our culinary team pay homage to the classic brasserie cuisine that inspired vehemently loyal Parisians. Guests of 39 Rue de Jean enjoy indoor/outdoor patio seating, cocktails and a predominantly French wine list blended with a selection of our steward's favorites.39 Rue de Jean offers a private dining room that can be transformed to host professional gatherings or celebratory affairs, accommodating up to 200 guests. This unique space, overlooking Upper King Street, features vaulted ceilings, exposed brick and a private entrance
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We both enjoyed eating here. Great food and wine without the high price! We had the escargot and the rabbit.

Visited July 2013

lansing
“pure excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had been to Rue de Jean a few years ago while on vacation. Loved it so much, I came back twice. When I had a conference in Charleston, I was eager to see if the food was still great. I was not disappointed. The first night, I stopped in with a couple of people from the conference for dinner. We were seated immediately, and when a table was not to our liking, they switched us to a booth with no wait. We got several appetizers and ended up too full for a real dinner. I started with their mussels which the preparation I had liked so much before was no longer on their menu. Without me specifically asking, the wait person offered to make that preparation. The mussels were much smaller than the last time, though this might have been due to the season, I don't know. I also got the steak tartare, which was melt in your mouth great, with the perfect amount of citrus to brighten it up. exceptional. We also got shrimp tempura, a huge portion and well fried, not greasy, and the foie gras which was rich and complemented well by the blackberries and sauce on the plate. One of our party turned out to be a vegetarian, before she ordered, I felt bad for her, but her collection of sides was also delicious. She got the mushrooms, spinach, and ratatouille which was smothered in a lovely cheese. I should also say that we stayed there chatting for a good 2 1/2 hours and were never rushed out, though by that point, they were slammed. When we looked at the clock and realized how long we had held a table, we left, but the waiter had never even hinted at moving us along. The next day my conference was over mid afternoon, but I stayed to have dinner again, this time alone. I was so glad I did. I ordered the special of the night, a butter poached monkfish plate they have on special every Friday. If I lived in this town, I would be back regularly for this dish, it blew me away. The sauce was nantua, which I did not know and was delightfully surprised. It is a bechamel with crawfish, which translated to rich and creamy, with the unique sweetness and saltiness that crawfish bring. There was a lot of crawfish in mine, and I could definitely tell what they were by taste, though I had not expected them. There are sunchokes and lovely french horn mushrooms with the fish, and the fish itself is several small pieces that are thick and meaty and go perfectly with the other flavors. finally there is a hazelnut basil puree that brightens everything up a bit (with all the richness and decadence, it works perfectly to keep it from being too heavy). If I am ever in Charleston again, Rue de Jean will most definitely be where I go. People sometimes complain about the prices, I really don't understand that. The food you get is so much better than the chain restaurants with the same prices, I am actually surprised the prices are not much higher with the high quality ingredients and obvious need for complex preparation. I think Rue de Jean is a must try for the Charleston area.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Pierce, Florida
“A lunch to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

After a morning of sightseeing we were looking for a nice, relaxed place for lunch. 39 Rue de Jean was more than we could have hoped for! A couple glasses of wine, wonderful bread, and a salad topped by tender beef filet. The finale was a poached pear with goat cheese and cream.

Visited June 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Dont waste your time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This place is a joke if you have been to Paris....Don't waste your money...the service and food are not worth it.....please go to La Forchette if you want top shelf French food.....how this place has been in biz this long has got me....but Thanks La Forchette for coming

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bel Air, Maryland
“Wonderful Lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a nifty place. Our server was pleasant, knowledgeable and struck the right balance of attentiveness. Overall our food was delicious. I started with the onion soup, which we were told was amazing. Honestly, I found it rather bland and my soup contained exactly 0 onions. More than making up for it was the bouillabaisse. It is one of my all time favorite dishes and coincidentally the lunch special. It contained a generous amount of seafood and embodied a complex, rich flavor. My husband started with the creamy truffle potato soup, then had the tender braised beef sandwich. He enjoyed both very much. They also serve sushi and that made our kids very happy.

• Visited June 2013