“Delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #117 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Description: Located in historic downtown Charleston , SC , 39 Rue de Jean is a refined French cafe and bar offering the best in classic Brasserie cuisine. The creations of our culinary team pay homage to the classic brasserie cuisine that inspired vehemently loyal Parisians. Guests of 39 Rue de Jean enjoy indoor/outdoor patio seating, cocktails and a predominantly French wine list blended with a selection of our steward's favorites.39 Rue de Jean offers a private dining room that can be transformed to host professional gatherings or celebratory affairs, accommodating up to 200 guests. This unique space, overlooking Upper King Street, features vaulted ceilings, exposed brick and a private entrance
Danville,Virginia
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I can't remember the exact name of the meal I had but I can tell you it was DELICIOUS!! It had penne noodles, shrimp, scallops in a great tasting cream sauce. Best tasting meal I've had in a long time.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Rochester, New York
“Good food...a little crowded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The food was very good...potato & truffle soup was excellent. Our server was very friendly and attentive. The only issue is that the tables are somewhat crowded together. As is often the case, even fine restaurants, they tend to give parties of 2 tiny tables, that can barely hold plates, glasses bread etc. That's a pet peave of mine, so maybe bothered me more than it would others. Other than that a great dining experience.

Visited March 2013
Atlanta
“Wonderful Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just loved this place. The vibe is wonderful. The mussels are so flavorful.. definitely recommend them. Main courses were great.. only complaint was there were no real health conscious items on the menu but other that that there were no complaints :)

Visited February 2013
Conway, SC
“Was one of my favorites until this last visit!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I have eaten here for years when we visit Charleston. Unfortunatley this was my last visit. I will not be back. We had a reservation for a booth at dinner time and actuallty walked in previously that day to book this reservation and saw them write down a booth on the reservation. When we arrived we told the young man that was to be our waiter but he took us to a tiny rable in the middle of the room. We told him we had a reservation for a booth could we sit at the booth aross from the little table. He told us that they were reserved. Hello!! For us I asked. Again I reminded him we had booked a booth. We were actually going to leave, but my husband said it is getting late we should stay. The waiter could tell that we were on the verge of leaving and said OK you can sit at the booth and I will have to explain away to the other people that it was reserved for. Oh by the way no one else came in the whole time we were there with the exception for the bar area and a couple of walk ins that did not have a reservation.
Honestly the food could have been really great, but we had such a sour taste in our mouths we did not enjoy the experience. We would have been better off just leaving and gong somewhere else. It won't happen again though. We spent a lot of money and got nothing out of it. This waiter even got a nice tip. We always spend at least 20% on the overal bill for tipping.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Forest Hill, Maryland
“One of the best meals ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Love to stop in Charleston to break up the drive to Florida. On a timeshare presentation in 2011, I mentioned to the salesperson that I wanted mussels. His suggestion was 39 Rue de Jean. Wonderful experience!!! Mussels were great and under $14. Husband had a great steak smothered with caramelized onions for around $20. Great food and excellent service. We went back in 2012 and ordered the same dishes since we had been drolling for them. Second time was just a good as the first. I tell everyone to make it a stop whenever in Charleston!

• Visited November 2012