“Starting to get disappointed...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #124 of 709 Restaurants in Charleston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Delicatessen, Family Fare
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The HYMANS have been at the same location for over 112 years starting out as a Wholesale dry goods store then changing to HYMANS SEAFOOD in 1987. The HYMANS commitment to guaranteed customer satisfaction is the reason that HYMANS SEAFOOD is now a Charleston landmark.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Starting to get disappointed...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We've always made sure to eat at least one meal at Hyman's whenever we visit Charleston. It's a southern staple. But this time I have to say, the food was just ok, not great. I do still love their hushpuppies though! It was miserable weather, cold, windy and rainy but the waitresses were dressed in very tight, short-shorts! I was certainly not happy about that! There was no need for inappropriate dress especially in the winter... Ok, it's technically spring but it wasn't spring at all that day! Probably won't make the effort next time. Sorry Eli and Aaron! Hope someone shows you this review and you make some changes- especially for the wait staff. :(

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

USA
“Good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

OK, so this place is clearly a tourist trap, but let me say this: the food is good! Lunch at Hyman’s was my first meal in Charleston during my recent trip. I ordered the soft-shell crab po’ boy and hush puppies. They also served a complimentary dish of a fried green tomato in grits. The grits were pretty tasty. The po’ boy was served on an awesome roll. So soft and flavorful! The crab was decent. The hush puppies were really good, too. However, I did not want to fill up on breaded products, so I did not finish the po’ boy roll or hush puppies. I dined alone and, of my six meals out during my trip, this was the only place that was genuinely kid-friendly. I’d definitely bring the family here on a return trip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Central VA
“Good food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

A Charleston do not miss. Hyman's has done a great job offering something for everyone with a Charleston flair, Not pricey and very good.

Visited March 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Touristy restaurant serves average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Went there based on the reviews and awards we saw at the restaurant display. It has the old time charm with pictures of celebrities visited the restaurant. There is a celebrity name engraved on a tag on each table. We had the She Crab soup, grilled mahi-mahi, and grilled flounder. The She Crab Soup is bisque with crab meat, a local specialty that every local seafood restaurant has it on its menu. Hyman’s She Crab Soup has good amount of crab meat and a few small bites of shells. It was flavorful, but it wasn’t out of this world. The fish dinners have two sizes, regular or large. The regular was good portion and plentiful. We ordered the regular. I think large could feed two people. The fish were good, but again nothing special. We found the food to be average with reasonable price. Service was quick and attentive. Overall it was a touristy restaurant near the old city market serves average food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a great dinner at Hyman's. the wait was long on this cold night and I felt badly for the staff that were stationed outside for hours. Our meal was excellent and our server, Kayla, was outstanding. She was very helpful in explaining many of the signature dishes to us "northerners". Everyone was friendly and helpful and the food arrived hot and delicious. A complimentary appetizer of grits and fried green tomatoes was a nice introduction to our meal and very tasty. Many DE may think it is a tourist trap, but as unashamed tourists, we had a great meal with great service at a very reasonable price. We had an enjoyable taste of some local fare with some outstanding seafood ---what more could we ask for? With apps., a bottle of wine, soups, and a full meal the cost came in under the price of just two entrees and some of the high concept restaurants in town. The ONLY reason that I gave it four stars instead of five was because of the long wait outside and the exit through the gift shop (like a bad Disney attraction).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere