“Charming and delicious. ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cru Cafe

Cru Cafe
18 Pinckney St, Charleston, SC 29401-2006 (Downtown)
843-534-2434
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cru Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 736 restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Café, Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located at 18 Pinckney Street, in a classic 18th century Charleston single-style home, Cru Café offers the best in upscale comfort food. Guests of the restaurant enjoy indoor and outdoor porch seating, gourmet comfort food, a wine list tailored to the varied menu and rich, satisfying desserts. It’s one of Charleston’s best kept secrets. Open for lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday.
Friant, California
“Charming and delicious. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Cute old Victorian house. Amazing food. Be sure to make a reservation. If nice weather there are two tables on the porch. Or you can request the counter inside and watch the chefs at work. Any seat will be lovely. We each started with a salad. My husband enjoyed the fried oyster salad and would order again. I had the duck confit salad and it was amazing. We love our bread at dinner time but unfortunately this is an area they could definitely improve. Nothing special, dry, not warm, no special butter. We then shared the swordfish, which they split for us. Amazing! Highly recommend this dish. The flavors all blend perfectly together. For dessert we shared the bread pudding. It was very good, no raisins but a few nuts. Which is how we like it! Enjoy!

93% Recommend
Kirkwhelpington, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

In our visit to Charleston, we had many meals that were very good, but Cru was the best, so we had to go twice. The burger is fantastic, as is the General Tso Chicken, and they have the best fries. Reasonable prices, and great service. I would recommend reservations, but they do the best they can with pop ins.

• Visited January 2014
North Vancouver, Canada
“Yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Great home cooking. Fresh and delicious meals. All (4) of us had something different and everything was amazing. Busy spot but great service.

Visited January 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Cru does it right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

In our year and a half living in the Charleston area, we've been to some 40 restaurants but somehow had overlooked Cru. What a mistake; Cru is fabulous!.

They do it right. The service is impeccable at this tiny, neighborhood bistro. Nate, who welcomed guests, seemed to know everyone by name. Chef John Zucker was everywhere. He was hands-on in the kitchen, delivered our excellent tomato bisque, and talked to guests. (Heard that he was #1 in his class at Cordon Bleu).

My husband had one of the specials, a pork sandwich on sour dough, and loved it. I ordered the oyster wrap but didn't realize it had caramelized onions, which I can't eat. I thought they could just take 'em off but instead they made a whole new sandwich, (which I felt guilty about -- I should have just picked them off myself). The chef delivered more fries in the meantime -- and this was on a Saturday afternoon when the restaurant was packed to the gills. Amazing service and attention to something that small!

To show you how good this restaurant is, it was a cold, rainy day and still customers were eating outdoors at a half dozen tables on the unenclosed porch rather than go elsewhere. That says a lot!

We were absolutely impressed with the service and the food and look forward to returning for dinner. Our only regret? That we didn't find Cru sooner! Oh...it's very small so do make reservations; you can go to OpenTable.

• Visited February 2014
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Excellent Food In A Great City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

One of my quandry's with tripadvisor is that they do not allow for a 4.5 rating. In my mind a 5 rating is reserved for something extraordianry, while 4.5 would be for excellent. Well enough of my venting. We just finished a meal at Cru Cafe and as my title indicates the food was excellent. As also was the service. The menu selections are varied and one would be hard pressed not to find something very suitable to one's tastes. I felt the entire experience to be a very good value.

• Visited January 2014