“INITIALLY FELT OUT OF PLACE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peninsula Grill

Peninsula Grill
112 North Market Street, Charleston, SC 29401-3157 (Downtown)
+1 843-723-0700
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peninsula Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 765 Restaurants in Charleston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting Street
Description: Located in the very heart of Charleston's famed Historic District, this AAA Four-Diamond restaurant has been recognized by Departures, Conde Nast Traveler, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Southern Living, Travel + Leisure, Wine Spectator, and others for serving the finest and freshest ingredients sourced locally and globally. With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu. The lush Peninsula Grill Courtyard is one of the Charleston's true hidden gems and the most romantic al fresco dining setting in the city. Peninsula Grill also offers private dining. Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire.
Glen Rock, New Jersey
“INITIALLY FELT OUT OF PLACE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2015 NEW

As we walked into the dining area we noticed patrons who were dressed in suits, tuxedos, and sport jackets that reminded us of our initial impression of Charleston.

Once we were seated and greeted by Mark our guide into our dining experience we began to feel much more comfortable. Before a short time we were having a good time, laughing, sharing stories with Mark which made us feel right at home.

Every recommendation Mark made was right on the money, all of the food was perfectly prepared, so much so that we purchased the cook book and had it signed by Graham Dailey the outrageously creative chef.

Before I forget, the COCONUT cake is crazy good! A must experience for anyone visiting Charleston.

“Excellent Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2015 NEW

This is the restaurant that my wife and I believe is the best in Charleston. We went here last year for our anniversary and absolutely loved it. The service was the best we have ever seen and so was the food and atmosphere. My wife had scallops that were absolutely perfect and my steak was melt in your mouth. We plan on returning every time we are in Charleston.

• Visited August 2014
Parker, Colorado
“Excellent Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2015 NEW

My wife wanted to surprise me by going out to a nice restaurant while visiting the area, so we got dressed up and off we went. Upon arrival, we noticed the patio that was not in use (must be great during spring and fall), and we entered through the bar. Some people might take issue to this, but it was a very high caliber atmosphere, not a typical bar or sports bar scene. We were seated immediately and everything was top notch. The serving staff was friendly and attentive, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was absolutely fine dining. Try the three soup sampler. This might change with the seasons, but it was a great way to sample all the different flavors. I’m sure there are less expensive places to eat, but this place was well worth the extra money…go enjoy yourselves!

Charlotte
“Excellent Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2015 NEW

I made reservations several weeks in advance. We were seated upon arrival. The service and food was excellent. I had a hard time deciding between several dishes and the waiter told me to go with the scallops - he was not wrong - yummy. My friend and I shared the lobster 3 way as an appetizer and I ate most of the bread dredging it thru the leftover sauce ! The waiter also helped my friend select a red wine that she said was superb. She had salmon for dinner and said it was cooked perfectly. My only disappointment is that we did not order the famous multi layered coconut cake. I am still thinking about it ! Would go back tomorrow !

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Peninsula Grill M, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for such a fabulous review! One of the great advantage of having a professional and knowledgeable service team is their ability to guide our guests through the menu and make suggestions to improve and enhance the dining experience. Peninsula Grill is fortunate to have a longstanding staff as well. With many at or near their decade anniversary they are a welcome sight for our return guests. Thank you for your visit. Please join us again and remember the Ultimate Coconut Cake.

Cheers,

Ryan Groeschel
General Manager / Sommelier
Relais & Chateaux
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Felt like a number”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2015 NEW via mobile

We have been to this restaurant many time and were looking forward to a "delayed" Valentine's Day Dinner. We were early and sat at the bar and had very good service, it went downhill from there. When we were seated, had the worst table in the house, right rear corner against two walls. Good news is I had nothing else to look at than my beautiful wife! Bad news, no space to raise a glass or cut your food!!
It went down hill from here, brought a very nice bottle of wine and sommelier came to open and disappeared, we poured our own after that. Server came, could barely understand him, did not introduce himself, rushed through specials and could not wait to get our order. food came out "fast and furious", seemed like they needed our table for another seating!! Last time for us, food was okay, but our experience was far less than okay!

Visited February 2015
I am very sorry for the lackluster experience that you received at Peninsula Grill this past Friday night. As you are aware from your previous experiences at Peninsula Grill that is not the experience that we want any of our guests to have. Thank you for sharing your experience and reminding us how important it is to deliver exceptional cuisine, with impeccable service and the hospitality that has made Peninsula Grill famous. I will be contacting you personally. I don't want this experience to be your last impression of Peninsula Grill.

Best,