“Excellent service! Good meal!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peninsula Grill

Peninsula Grill
112 North Market Street, Charleston, SC 29401-3157 (Downtown)
+1 843-723-0700
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peninsula Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 763 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting Street
Description: Located in the very heart of Charleston's famed Historic District, this AAA Four-Diamond restaurant has been recognized by Departures, Conde Nast Traveler, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Southern Living, Travel + Leisure, Wine Spectator, and others for serving the finest and freshest ingredients sourced locally and globally. With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu. The lush Peninsula Grill Courtyard is one of the Charleston's true hidden gems and the most romantic al fresco dining setting in the city. Peninsula Grill also offers private dining. Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire.
Greenville, South Carolina
“Excellent service! Good meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2015 NEW

We specifically went to Charleston to celebrate my wife starting a new job. This is really the best place in my humble opinion in Charleston. The wine list is very extensive, albeit a little on the pricey side. With the champagne bar, my expectation would have been a bit more selection in the mid price range. Mark our server and his assistants were superb. I really would say his attention to detail, he made sure we did not go wanting, but we also did not feel bothered as you do in some fine dining places when they hover over you. I have not had a bad meal here and I doubt I ever will. The steak temperature was good. The sides were excellent; however I was overcharged because I asked them to sub a filet for the NY strip on the au poivre dish and instead they hit me with ala carte pricing of $8-9 for a small portion of bean, $8-9 for a small portion of mashed and $41 for the filet. So what was a $38-41 dish on the menu cost me $60.

• Visited January 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boston, MA
“What a wine list!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2015 NEW

The dinner was very good, the wine list was extensive and a bit overwhelming! The restaurant was a bit stuffy and formal, but we had a great server and we really enjoyed the food.

Visited January 2015
Anderson, South Carolina
“Love the atmosphere but food was so so. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2015

Have been wanting to try this restaurant for a while. Took a chance late on Saturday evening. Had no reservation, but a booth came open in the bar area just as we arrived (good fortune!) Loved the warm, cozy atmosphere. Our waiter, Billy was very attentive and did an excellent job. The piping hot French bread was amazing! The food was ok, not great. (Steak and seafood trio). I really liked this place...but would have been way better if the food had been amazing.

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“One Of Chrleston's Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2015

We both ordered the rack of lamb entrée and it was excellent as always! The lobster three way was a great starter which we really enjoyed. And of course, we split a slice of their famous coconut layer cake, which is truly awesome! The wine list is extensive and fairly priced. The service was prompt and professional! We have dined here frequently and our only suggestion is to add some new dishes to the menu

Visited January 2015
Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your excellent review and continued support. We are well aware of the many dining options in Charleston. We are very grateful that you chose to frequent Peninsula Grill. After nearly 18 years Peninsula Grill remains the place to dine in Charleston through our dedication to cuisine, service and hospitality. We look forward to serving you again.

Cheers,

Ryan Groeschel
General Manager / Sommelier
Relais & Chateaux
indiana
“Very disappointed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2015

I was told by friends to try the peninsula so I booked a table during restaurant week. The entrance to the restaurant is thru the tiny bar. We found our hostess at the end of the bar, strange, and was told to wait for our table to open up. The hostess said that our table would not be ready for 30 minutes but she had a booth available now in the bar. We did have a reservation by the way. We sat down in the bar and it was so loud. I had a hard time hearing my friends. I ordered the pork from the menu and it arrived way over cooked and hard to cut. I had it sent back. I would not recommend this restaurant.

• Visited January 2015
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
I am terribly sorry that you had a disappointing visit to Peninsula Grill. We are well known for both our service and our cuisine. Due to our popularity our dining room and bar does have a lively energy about it. We strive to create a wonderful experience for all of our guests. I apologize that we were unable to live up to your friends recommendation.

Best,