“Excellent food and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anson - CLOSED

Anson
12 Anson St, Charleston, SC 29401-2018 (Downtown)
(843) 577-0551
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Bartlett, TN
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Went here last night on a business meeting with about 30 others. The service was outstanding considering the amount of people in our group and the number of servers taking care of us. hi highly recommend the crispy flounder with an order of grits on the side. Fried okra for an appetizer made an outstanding meal. For those who want a good steak they had that too per others in our party.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Newport, United Kingdom
“We'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our visit to this restaurant involved a trip from UK to Hilton Head with a one-night stay at 2 Meeting Place Inn, Charleston who included The Anson Street Cafe as one of their suggested places to eat and incidently organised a cycle taxi as well.
The restaurant experience was as good as any we have enjoyed since first visiting US in '76. The setting and ambience were discrete yet had character, the menu was mouthwatering and the service well balanced and knowledgeable which makes for a great meal.(Well done Dorsey).
We ate she crab soup, roast oysters,scallops (5*+!) and market catfish with a salad special. All were of a high standard of presentation and tasted as good as they looked.
Wine was Dorsey's suggestion - Vouvray, and whilst expensive was an excellent choice to accompany the meal which was polished off with a tawny port for me and a 12 yr Macallan Malt for her.
We had a post visit problem with the bill which turned out to have been caused by Mastercard Dollar CashCard, with much time and effort provided by Phil Petus, General Manager to help sort out what was not his problem really - well sone, thanks and spot on Phil, diagnosis 100% correct.
We will be back.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Can't cook a steak correctly...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Visited Anson with co-workers of mine a few nights ago and I was a little disappointed. First of all, the restaurant does not serve sweet tea. The server said, "I can bring you ice tea with sugar on the side" and I quickly refused. I was just shocked that a restaurant in the south (and in Charleston of all places) doesn't serve sweet tea! Being from South Carolina, that was a HUGE strike. Second, they couldn't cook my steak correctly. I ordered my filet medium well. My steak arrived medium rare, so I sent it back. When it came back, it was medium in the center and well done around the edges. By this point, everyone at my table was almost finished eating so I didn't bother sending it back. Also, they cooked 3 of my co-workers steaks incorrectly as well. The steak had a great flavor, but it's ruined by the fact that they can't cook a proper steak. I don't think I will visit Anson the next time I'm in Charleston.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rocky Point, New York
“Third Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We've been to Charleston twice before and enjoyed Anson each time. This was our third trip and Anson is three for three! The food and service are first rate. We have no doubt that when we return to Charleston Anson will be our "go to" place once again.

Edwardsville
“Service and Food-outstanding!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We enjoyed the shrimp and grits as well as several side dishes of roasted beets and roasted brussel sprouts. All were amazing. We sat at the bar and our server/bartender was awesome. He was the epitomy of southern hospitality. Make our time there extremely enjoyable.

Visited September 2012