“Stunning hotel, exceptional service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$100 Property Credit
Ranked #4 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Stunning hotel, exceptional service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

on our first visit to Charleston we felt so lucky to have found such an ideal spot. the hotel is a collection of historic building around a beautiful courtyard. our room was incredibly spacious and very well appointed. high ceilings, fabulous decor. loved the enormous bathroom and glassed in shower. breakfast was tasty and the miele coffeemaker a real treat. wine and cheese in the evening was not to be missed. we spent a whole afternoon lounging on the piazza (veranda) on the comfy daybed and couldn't have been happier. the staff was exceptional... enthusiastic, knowledgeable, helpful, personable and professional... a perfect fit for us. the attention to detail was impressive and we will be returning and recommending to all our friends. thank you for the hospitality.

Room Tip: i think all the rooms are probably very good - we were on the top floor of the zero george building...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, coming from the French Quarter Inn (stayed there for 2 nights also). Check-in was very nice and personal because they show you around and explain the property and history of the buildings. This property had a lot of character simply because it is an old house with verandah, original wood floors, etc. The rooms were very nice and the beds...wow, the best beds ever. I slept great and didn't want to get out of bed in the morning. However, if your a light sleeper, keep in mind the wood floors/stairs/old house are pretty creaky. You will want to book an upstairs room. There was a keurig single serving coffee maker in the room.
The property had a couple different enclosed atriums with tables to sit and have a glass of wine...very peaceful and quiet. The evening wine and cheese pairing was fine. Very good wine (a few blends to choose from) with a minuscule (although good!) pairing of cheese options. Also, sticks of carrots and cucumbers (or something like that) was offered along with a dip. The reason why I cant recall the food was because it was paltry and not worth remembering. Also, if you took two tiny carrots you felt like a hog because there wasn't much on the offered plates to begin with. It was like going to those super expensive restaurants where the presented food is arranged artistically and its not filling cos there's hardly anything on your plate. Superior ingredients, superior chef, superior presentation, but gone in 5 bites. You know? Coming from the French Quarter Inn, this was extremely disappointing. Breakfast in the morning at Zero George was pretty good: greek organic yogurt, granola, muffins, breads, single serving cereal, etc. Again, nothing compared the FQI.
All the employees were very nice and helpful. But one thing was very confusing to me. When I asked if there was any other less expensive way to get to the airport besides a taxi the receptionist/concierge didn't know and had to make some calls and get back to me. How do you not know the transportation in your town and especially when your a business that specializes in travelers? By the way, its either taxi ($35 Zero George taxi) or airport shuttle ($25 for single). Also, concierge asked me if I wanted the taxi they usually call which was a little more expensive and I told them just a regular, cheap taxi. It ended up being the more expensive one and I wished I had just gotten an airport shuttle. So essentially, if I had figured out the airport transportation on my own it would have been more beneficial for me. I was disappointed in the concierge service.
The hotel was in a good neighborhood right on East Bay Street. They are building an art center kiddy-corner from Zero George and the construction wasn't bothersome at all. I always walked on East Bay Street toward downtown since that was the busier road and seemed safer. One night I walked on Zero George Street to King Street and I didn't feel very safe by myself on the way home simply because it was more quiet and not well lit. It is a short walk, like 5-7 minutes to Market Street. Very close and easy walk. However, French Quarter Inn was a lot closer and I definitely felt safer walking at night when I stayed at FQI.
Bottom line: quaint, intimate, friendly property with an affluent feel but bordering on hautiness

Room Tip: top floor to hear less of the creaky old house noises from neighbors
Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

We decided to try a bed and breakfast on this trip instead of our usual Marriott destination. When we arrived at 4:30 pm our room was not ready. That surprised us, but the staff was nice and offered us a glass of wine while we waited. We finally were taken to our room which was nicely appointed, but reeked of Clorox. When I said something about it I got the answer that it would dissipate soon. We decided to leave for dinner in hopes they were right. We arrived back at our room about 10:00 pm and it still smelled of Clorox. I guess we should be glad it was sanitized! The bed was comfy so we decided to just call it a night. The next morning we headed down to breakfast. We got there about half way thru the serving time and there was not much left. We waited to see if it would be replenished, but they never brought more food out. The offerings were meager to begin with, not much selection and quite skimpy. If you plan to eat breakfast there be sure to go as soon as they start serving! I should also mention, they did not have decaf coffee and the tea selection was very modest. We tried the wine hour and must admit the wine selections were quite nice, however, the food offerings were very very skimpy. When we returned to our room we again smelled Clorox, although not as strong as the day before, and realized they did not do a good job detailing the room. We did not get fresh hand towels, TP, or decaf coffee pods. The staff at this hotel is very nice, but young and unfortunately not very attentive to details. Housekeeping is especially guilty of that. Although the rooms and location are very nice, for the price we paid we expected more. Think we'll try somewhere else on our next visit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

A relatively new hotel with an eclectic mix of charm, tradition and moderness. A number of old properties that have been thoughtfully modernised with all the latest features yet retaining a charm and old feel to the building. Our room on the second floor of the courtyard with a shared verandah was a generous size, decorated in pleasing neutral colours with a well appointed, well lit bathroom. A modern coffee machine and free soft drinks in the fridge.The evening complementary wine with cheese was well appreciated and the breakfast buffet selection was excellent with a lighter European feel to it. Though there is no on site parking this is not a problem due to the valet parking ( extra cost) The reception staff are young but very helpful and accommodating. Be aware of the building work opposite the hotel on the new conference centre which can be a little noisy from 8am onwards during weekdays.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Zero George was the perfect place to stay on our honeymoon. The service and hospitality could not have been any better. My wife and I loved how close it was to all of the best restaurants and attractions. We walked every night to our dinner. But it wasn't so close that we were distracted by the college night life (College of Charleston.) Every night they had free drinks and snacks, and helped set up reservations and travel if we needed it. We loved the layout, as well felt at home in this modern restored Charleston home. You do not feel like you are in a hotel, but more of a really nice boutique bed and breakfast. Zero George could not have made our honeymoon stay any nicer. Thank you Zero George.

Room Tip: The pricier rooms will be worth the extra money.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

A small cluster of buildings in a courtyard setting. Tastefully appointed, comfortable, clean with a great staff. Not necessarily in the middle of things but close proximity to dining and sights. Across the street from the future Performing Arts center a plus for future visitors.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was recently in Charleston for both work and then pleasure and was recommended to stay at Zero George---lucky for me! This hotel was the perfect balance of old world charm and modern luxury. I stayed in a room in the carriage house which was beautifully decorated, although a touch dark due to lack of natural daylight. It didn't really matter though because there are so many parts to the main house that are open to all guests. The bar tender made excellent drinks and there is a huge porch ("Piazza" to the locals) where you can sit back, relax and think of the good ole' days. The staff is on the younger side, however, they were all perfectly helpful and it kept the whole experience light and easy rather than stuffy. In past trips I have stayed at the Charleston Place Hotel and Market Pavilion which were both fantastic but I prefer the laid-back luxury vibe at Zero George. The only negative for me was that the bed is VERY soft and I am used to a firmer mattress...but clearly, not a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Next time I would choose to be in the main house or back house rather then the carriage house as the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business