“A fun and unique experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Charleston native and award-winning photojournalist Liz Legare Duren takes you on a stroll through the city her ancestors helped build. Experience Charleston, while YOU are being photographed in the city's most beautiful (or tucked away) locations. Limiting the the tour to only 10 people assures you a more intimate look at the city and a chance for some GREAT photography! Tours are available 7 days a week, please visit our website for all the information you need!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A fun and unique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My sister and I decided to take this tour because we wanted to try something different during our visit to Charleston. This tour turned out to be a highlight of our trip! Liz told such engaging stories, offered a wonderful tour of the historic area, and took some really lovely photos of the two of us. It was a great introduction to the history of Charleston. I really enjoyed how she wove in stories on her family history throughout. It really personalized the history of the city for us. The walk itself covers about a mile or two in total. But the area is flat, and we walked at a comfortable pace.

All in all, it was a fun experience, and one that the two of us will remember for a long time. We really love having photos of the two of us together from our sister getaway! I highly recommend this tour!

Visited December 2013
lizduren, Owner at Say Charleston! Private Photo Walking Tours, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you SISTERS!!!! I am glad you had fun and I KNOW you hit all the great restaurants too!!! You have inspired me to talk my own sister into a little get a way!

Amsterdam NL
“Great tour and photos despite the cold weather.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Our family came into Charleston for a very chilly Thanksgiving weekend. I did a lot of research looking for a good tour since this was our first trip to Charleston and we wanted to learn the history. I thought it sounded great that we could take a tour and have a family photo taken. I had my children age 12 & 14 with me along with my husband and I have to report that we all really enjoyed the tour. Liz set up some great shots that we are thrilled to have and we learned so much about the city. Liz does speak a lot about her family connection but that is because her ancestors were some of the founding fathers of the city. Its really a fascinating tale that she tells very, very well. We were charmed! And the photos are great despite the fact that we were coats on, coats off, coats on, coats off. We have our Christmas photo! A great way to spend a few hours in this very pretty city.

Visited November 2013
Thank you for a very nice review. I am so glad you all came and enjoyed the tour. It WAS cold, but probably not as cold as your run the next morning!!! I thought about you guys.
Houston, Texas, United States
9 attraction reviews
“Great tour and professional photograph(s) of you and your sweetie to boot!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a place for a mini-vacation and settled on Charleston, a city we had not been in before. We booked in a local B&B, Lavender and Lace (reviewed separately) which was wonderful. Then, as I always do nowadays, I looked here in tripadvisor to see what attractions rated the highest. I noticed that Liz Duren's photo tours rated very highly.

Liz is a highly energetic and extremely knowledgeable 10th generation Charlestonian. She knows the history of Charleston inside out, and her family history is interestingly interwoven as well. This city has an extraordinarily rich history. Plus she is a professional photographer, which makes her tour unique. She walks you around the most interesting parts of historic Charleston, (all SOB--South of Broad Street) explaining the history as you go. But she also takes pictures of you, or you and your partner, or you and your family, at a variety of nice locations. The area you walk is very flat, and the total distance covered is modest, but there are uneven surfaces, cobblestones, etc., perhaps not the best choice for someone with balance/mobility issues. I assumed there would be Civil War vintage homes and buildings, and antebellum homes, but I had realized there would be a great many Revolutionary War vintage homes as well.

I have taken photo tours twice before which were excellent, and which I reviewed on here, but whose focus was to help you take great pictures. Certainly guests on this tour will take pictures, but this tour is more about her taking casual portraits of you. As part of the price of the tours, which is $30 apiece for a 2 hour tour, she sends you low resolution versions of the pictures she took of you, and you select one as part of the price of the tour. You can purchase others for $12.95 apiece. In both cases she sends you the high resolution version of your chosen photograph(s).

I can hardly imagine a more enjoyable way to spend 2 hours, and you will emerge with a great idea of what places to go back to and spend more time. My wife and I highly recommend Liz!

Here's a link to her website: http://www.tours-charleston.com/index2.php#!/home

You will find plenty of examples of her photos of these tours, as well as the other types of photography she does.

Visited November 2013
thank you for such a lovely review!! I am very glad we got to meet and spend time together around town!
Gator Nation, FL
44 attraction reviews
“Walking Tour with Photographer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

My friends set this up for the four of us as a nice way to see the city and be able to take pictures while learning about the history. However, we found, while Liz was very nice, the tour was based around her family's history in the area more so then the general history. It was interesting for a bit but then the tour ran longer then expected due to a late start (waiting on another couple to arrive) and tangents she seemed to get on sometimes. We really didnt have time to take our own pictures as we moved though the city and the times she would pose us it seemed very rushed. When our friend went to take our picture from the side when she was taking it, he was told in no uncertain terms that she was the photographer for the day and we were not allowed to take pictures of other when she was shooting them. Also, even though we paid for 2 tickets we had to share a photo at the end of the tour. We were not allowed two, even though they are electronic, not print. The quality was ok but in many of the pictures we got, they were not straight (again the rushed shooting). I was disappointed with the tour as a way to see the city and take pictures of my own. However, for those who are not shutterflies and want to hear stories while walking though this great city, this is a nice little tour with a nice picture at the end.

Visited October 2013
lizduren, Owner at Say Charleston! Private Photo Walking Tours, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
In a business that I love, with a tour I have enjoyed giving, this is disheartening to say the least. However, in the midst of the 156 five star reviews I have earned over this first year in my business venture I can certainly say that is review speaks more about the reviewer than the tour itself.
Clearly, their lovely friend, Annie (who not only sent me a very nice email but ordered 6 images) tried to include them on a tour that wasn't "their cup of tea" as my mother would say.
There were many times they wandered off or conversed amongst themselves, and while it may or may not be rude to me, I would think it was rude to their friend.
Rocky River, Ohio, United States
42 attraction reviews
“Great walking tour and wonderful pictures too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Liz takes you on a great tour, and then takes some wonderful pictures for you. I would recommend Liz just for the walking tour, but as a couple who often travel with no other companions, we took this tour to have some pictures taken of us together, and we were delighted with Liz's choice of photo spots and how they came out. She made everyone in our group feel comfortable, entertained and informed us, and easily worked in stops to take pictures. It was simple to pick the pictures we wanted and download the files when we got home.

Visited October 2013
Thank you so much! it was pleasure meeting you both and I am thrilled you were happy with the experience!