“38th Anniversary Get-away!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Sarasota, Florida
“38th Anniversary Get-away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We wanted a quiet, serene romantic get-away for our 38th anniversary! Wow did we get what we intended!! What a way to decompress, breathe deep, and prepare for a 28 person family reunion in the Outer Banks, NC! The staff went above and beyond to make a 2 night stay memorable. Beginning with the welcome bottle of wine & kind anniversary card in our room upon our arrival to the complementary hot cooked breakfast BOTH mornings when the chef Bart, heard that it was our anniversary, we were made to feel special and at home! Truly a retreat for relaxation, glass of wine after a bike ride in the afternoon, walk in the gardens before the nightly manager's reception in the lodge with free appetizers and wine and beer (some really great craft beers from local brewers!) and unbelievable huge shrimp with wonderful cheeses and fruits, the huge unique tile tub with bath salts to soak in after your biking and hiking day before heading off to an excellent evening dinner at the Middleton Place Restaurant. We never moved our car for 2 days as we just were able to walk to dinner thru the woods and well lit path...awesome!! We never cared about the TV as the world outside was much more entertaining and beautiful! We WILL return and also make sure to stop next visit at their bed & breakfast in town. We have also heard great things about that property. BTW...our mattress was so comfortable and we slept like bears in hibernation!!!

Room Tip: Riverview King on the first floor corner in building 3
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Truly a happy occasion! Happy 38th anniversary guest and THANK YOU for sharing this wonderful milestone with us! Your comments and review is very much appreciated and we hope to welcome you back again for your 39th! All my best, Abigail M. Martin, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
fort lee, nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I don't see it in any descriptions of accommodations-many of the rooms have a flight of steps, so ask if it makes a difference to you. They do say they don't expect you to watch TV; could it be because the TV is way too small for the room size . And, It's time for new mattresses!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for pointing this out guest! Yes, all rooms have flights of stairs leading to the second or third floors. All staff is able and available to help with luggage as needed but we also discuss this upon making the reservation so that downstairs rooms can try to be accommodated as requested. We have brand new flat screened TV’s in every room with a new extended list of channels but I agree; we think the real view is outside the floor to ceiling set of windows covered by plantation blinds. There is not a mattress on property older then 1 year; we are happy to help accommodate personal preferences by switching rooms or offering bed boards as needed. Thank you for your review and your visit! All my best, Abigail M. Martin, General Manager
Burlingame, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Inn. Special things were (1) the dinner and movie night; (2) horseback ride over the grounds. Our room was quite nice. Not super fancy, but definitely fulfilled all of our needs.
The location is fairly rural, with about a half hour drive into Charleston. A car is definitely a must if you plan on doing much sightseeing in the area. It worked out fine for us.
All in all, a nice, comfortable stay.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on higher floors have a better view of the river than our lower floor room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
savannah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We recently visited the Inn for a friends wedding. I was not really sure what to expect given the wide range of comments on this property. I have to tell you it was an amazing stay from beginning to end. The staff at the lodge was over and above and were so incredibly accommodating. I was in a wedding party, and they were constantly checking in on us while we were getting ready and brought up sandwiches and did a nice little set up in the room. They allowed all of the guys not in the wedding to set up shop in the lower level of the "lodge" with a large flat screen TV and watch football.
When we booked the hotel, they sent us an email basically telling us if you are looking for "luxury", this was not the place. The rooms were rather rustic, but in no way dirty. The grout is actually Black...not moldy. Our room was 2 walls of floor to ceiling windows. The A/C worked just fine as did the hot water (as opposed to some other reviews I've read).
The only complaints we had were the bed...sooo soft, and almost comical how bouncy it was, like being on a trampoline. But, this was not the case in the 2 other rooms we went in over the weekend. It is a little loud if you are on the first floor, we could hear our friends walking around above us. And the service for breakfast at the Lakehouse was sooooo slow. Everyone was friendly but in no way should a sausage biscuit take 30 minutes. It was good when we finally got it.
Overall, if you are looking for a beautiful nice place to stay, I would recommend it. Its a nice breath of fresh air.

Room Tip: I would take a room on a second floor
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed in the later part of July. Using " Booking.com" was a mistake. Not the Middleton Inn's fault. We had some issues through Booking.com that was fixed immediately and graciously through the awesome staff at the "Inn". Breakfast was beyond great. Beer and wine was wonderful and FREE! The snacks were plentiful and FREE!! Seeing gators, birds, and fish jumping out the water was great. Informative and friendly staff on the grounds. Take insect repellent and an extension cord for any kind of breathing or other type of machines. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for some great constructive suggestions guest! I can see that you were able to experience the full value of what we offer here at the Inn! Admission to Middleton Place ($86 value per couple), the Healthy Start Breakfast and Evening Reception all including in the outstanding rates is the best-kept secret in Charleston! Staff is defiantly willing and able to answer questions and help make your visit the best ever. We hope to welcome you back again soon! All my best, Abigail M. Martin, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was not just a hotel, it was a fantastic experience. I was curious about if after reading the rather puzzling differences of opinion on TA. We found nothing not to like. Middleton Place is magnificent, and we thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing and idyllic getaway at the Inn. Our room was perfect--spotless, tasteful and with a lovely "tree house" quality, and plenty of AC and hot water. Very unique, award-winning architecture. There was lots to do on the grounds--kyaking, horseback riding, carriage drives, and lawn and board games all available--if magnificent gardens, tours and interpretive walks and extensive wildlife viewing are not enough. The hospitality is expansive, with a very nice complimentary cocktail reception each night. The staff was extremely friendly. Breakfast was very nice as well. But the restaurant next to the house was truly outstanding, with locally sourced, fresh foods beautifully prepared. We had two wonderful meals at the restaurant--lunch and dinner. We travel extensively, and have high standards. I cannot say enough good things about our experience. This is such an unique and special place that we will be back to enjoy all the lovely seasons along the Ashley River.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I called on a Friday to book a room for our honeymoon. I inquired about a military discount and was told one was available however, she was unable to pull up that rate so in order to reserve it and pay the 50% of the stay she'd have to have her manager call in the morning who would be in at 1100. I never received a phone call Saturday or Sunday and finally on Monday I called to follow up. I was informed the rate had gone up but they would do a military discount. I asked to talk to a manager again since the rate would have been lower had I been able to book when I wanted to or had received a call back. She placed me on hold and came back saying they would honor it. I was becoming hesitant at this point about booking considering it was already such frustration and chaos. The woman on the phone then miscalculated what the discount was off of the price and I told her I had a different number. She calculated it again and again and even placed me on hold for a bit. She came back on the line and said she got her same number (a few dollars different from what it actually was) and she continued calculating again and again until I heard her asking someone else to do it for her. She then said I was right about the price. I grew even more reluctant to book with someone who couldn't even calculate 10% off the price. She informed me the price with tax which was a significant amount more. I was unsure of what the hotel taxes in Charleston were but after all this was not comfortable with providing my credit card info and having who knows what amount actually charged to it. I figured if this is how things were going to start out with booking how could I be sure they would ensure my stay would be any better? I feel let down before even getting a chance to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
This is an unfortunate case of the extraordinary. The specific room requested by this guest typically does not offer discounts of any kind; however we were bending the rules to make it happen hence why there was hesitation on the quoting of the rate. We have tried, unsuccessfully, to contact this guest more then once but our calls have not been returned. We are happy to discuss and handle as you requested; please call Micheal McDaniel directly. Hope to hear from you! Abby Martin, General Manager

Been to Inn at Middleton Place? Share your experiences!