“Amazing, Romantic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Calgary, Canada
“Amazing, Romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

had an amazing time. the scenery was amazing. every where you looked, something more gorgeous than what you were just looking at. the history. it was so romantic. Fireplaces in the rooms, huge showers. was the upmost perfect stay. made me so happy. made us both very happy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Queens, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Let me start this review positively. When my boyfriend and I arrived at the Inn on 8/17/13 for our "Romantic Getaway" package were were immediately drawn in by the beautiful weeping willows, the sheep in the meadow and the very romantic feel of the property. We immediately walked the grounds and were impressed by the proximity to the river, the gardens and all the wildlife, peacocks, sheep, goats, hogs and even gators roam freely here! The dinner and bottle of wine included in the package and the kayak trip were also very enjoyable.

All in all our stay was great, UNTIL we got the bill at check-out. The bill over $300 more than originally quoted IN WRITING prior the trip. The lady that was at the desk was very nice and got the assistant manager. This man was extremely arrogant and just kept saying that "this is the correct price" even after showing him the email IN WRITING with the lower rate. He went on to say "didn't you think that price was too cheap for all you got? Didn't you get dinner a bottle of wine AND a kayak trip"? This comment was rude, unnecessary and completely condescending. We are frequent travelers and know full well the price of travel and food. We booked this trip because it was such a great deal. Oddly, I heard customers complaining of something similar the day before.

I don't know what kind of bait and switch the Inn is trying to pull, but it's very disappointing. I can understand mistakes and misunderstandings do happen, but we had this in writing. There was no reason this man should have treated paying customers this way. The least he could have done was offer us something in return for the $300+ mistake, A free night perhaps? A meal? A sincere apology? Don't you want your customers to return and speak highly so others might also want to visit? Apparently he did not.From the previous replies to Trip Advisor feedback, I feel that this is the way management trains their staff. The replies are not apologetic or concerned, they are defensive.

This makes me never want to return which is a shame because it is a very nice property. I'd rather stay at a Marriott with exemplary customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you first for sharing your experience at Middleton, I am glad to know that the beauty of the property and overall value of your inclusions were enjoyable. Thank you second for sharing your frustrations and allowing me the opportunity to take a look into the situation.

There are a number of fail-safe’s we do on our end to ensure any mistakes made are caught prior to the checkout procedure, such as confirmations upon booking, confirmations when changes are made and pre-arrival e-mails. All of those items are done automatically through our systems. Upon check-in we verify the information we have for a guests stay and require a signature that we have the information correct. As I’m sure you already know, all these procedures were followed and signed, there is absolutely no bait-and-switch occurring as that wouldn’t be in our benefit to have a guest, such as yourself, in a situation where they felt mislead.

I do see that we did offer a solution for the inconvenience that was accepted by your boyfriend. It was equal to a suggestion you posted so please contact me to discuss if that information doesn’t match your understanding.

You certainly have my sincere apology if you felt we did not handle this properly, I would love to discuss this in person more if you would feel fit to contact me.

All my best,

Abigail M. Martin
Miami Beach, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We so enjoyed our stay at the Inn at Middleton Place that we extended it from 3 to 4 nights. Here's what made it so special for us!

* Unique one-of-a-kind architecture. We really enjoyed the modern interpretation of traditional design elements incorporated into the architecture and furnishings. It's really well done.
* Clean, spacious rooms. We stayed in a river view room in building one and a courtyard room when we extended our stay in building four. Both rooms had been recently renovated. The beds were comfortable, plenty of space to spread out and good lighting. The fireplaces would be great in the winter. When we made our reservation I called the hotel and specifically asked for a renovated room and they were able to accommodate that request. Some of the buildings have two floors and others three. If you do not want to carry your luggage up the stairs, then make that room request also.
* Admission to Middleton Place is included in the nightly rate. What a benefit - first from the perspective of value and second from the perspective of being able to simply walk over to the plantation gardens.
* Breakfast. Included in the nightly rate is a continental breakfast. We liked to have the option of a hot cooked meal chosen from a menu or their daily special that was reasonably priced. Breakfast is served in the Lakehouse and has a woodsy view.
*Afternoon beer & wine with snacks offered in the Lodge is also included. We met some other guests and had some interesting conversations.
* Parking is secure and no additional fee.
* Dinner at the restaurant at Middleton Place. Being on the grounds at sunset and watching the changing light and then the excellent service at dinner made for a special evening. The chef was very flexible and accommodating our special dietary requirements and made some adjustments for us. We actually ate lunch there as well.
* Sitting by the river outside the inn on wood chairs - gazing at a view that is basically the same as it was in the plantation times. All part of the Inn at Middleton experience.

All the staff - from reception, morning breakfast, afternoon refreshments and housekeeping were very friendly and helpful.

The area is only 20-25 minutes outside of Charleston. There is plenty to do in the area. We didn't even make it into Charleston!

A great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room. If don't want to carry your luggage up stairs, ask for a room that does...
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I worked in Charleston in 1985 and had the privlaige of stying at the Inn at Middleton Place back then. Although 28 years have passed it is every bit as charming as I remember it. Sure like us all 28 years has it's ups and downs but overall the age has worn well on this great beauty.

Abigail and her staff did an excellent job from the moment we checked in.

I must admit when we actually entered our room there was an overwhelming smell of fresh lacquer. I was later informed they had just refinished the floors.

Besides that nothing but nice things to say. The place was full of guests but we did not see a single person the entire time we were there. The grounds are natural and beautiful. It is a blessing they have left the grounds as they were 28 years ago.

The bonus of access to Middleton Place was a nice bonus. We are not drinkers so we elected to pass on the nightly reception but I can see it would be very nice.

The breakfast was good however I felt like the staff was circling looking to sell us an upgrade.

The room minus the smell was nice. The bathroom was large and the room was very well laid out. We had a 13 year old in tow so access to Wi-Fi was perfect.

The value was fair however I was amazed at the room tax. Our room was $185 per night and the tax was an additional approx. $35. I thought that was rich. We stayed two nights so we paid approx. $70 in taxes. Again a little rich for my blood.

WE took time to walk the grounds and really enjoyed the active barns full of horses.

Abigail, great job and look forward to coming back sooner than 28 years from now!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

After reading some past reviews we were very hesitant to stay here, but went with an open mind. The rooms do need updating, carpets are stained but the beds were very comfortable and we had a clean room. Location was great and close to whatever you needed. I thought the service was great, very friendly staff. I enjoyed my stay and would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floor
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We loved being part of this historical property for a night, and touring the plantation for a day, but the inn is in need of some updating. There are a LOT of stairs if your room is on a second floor (at least in the group of building we were in). The bed was pretty lumpy and linens seemed old and discolored making them look and feel dirty (they probably weren't), and although our room was very clean, it feels a little unclean because it is old. The room and bathroom was spacious, good counter space and places to put suitcases, but not many outlets for phone/computer charges (something that drives my husband crazy). The "river views" the inn promotes are mostly blocked by trees and shrubs and it is more like a narrow swamp than a moving river. We had dinner at the restaurant on the property which was wonderful, food and views. I especially loved the flock of peacocks that greeted us as we walked up to the door to the restaurant! We walked to the restaurant from our room at the inn which was scenic and well-lit for our nighttime return. I loved being part of the history for a night, but probably would have stayed somewhere else had I known how dated the rooms are.

Room Tip: If you have issues with stairs, including carrying luggage up and down (no valets or bell service...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! The Inn has stairs that lead to all second and third floor rooms, yes, but every member of my staff is able and capable of helping with luggage. Requests for rooms without stairs can be accommodated also. Rooms are undergoing some refreshes and additions throughout this year, such as the additional outlets you mentioned, among other items. I encourage you to come back and take part in the outstanding value a stay at The Inn at Middleton Place offers and experience these changes for yourself. All my best, Abigail M. Martin, General Manager
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stay here and get up at dawn and stroll through the romantic Middleton Place gardens. Begin a self-guided tour with easy access on foot from the inn to adjacent plantation and gardens . Count on seeing wildlife, reflections in ponds and lakes, rice fields and live oaks as you walk through wooded areas and landscaped gardens. The inn itself is a remarkable architectural structure. While rustic, the room was comfortable and clean with space for functionality. Its close proximity to Drayton Hall and Magnolia Plantation make it a convenient place to stay to enjoy the area. In the evening, complimentary wine, beer and appetizers are served. Continental breakfast included or you may purchase other hot options. We enjoyed dinner at the restaurant with its lovely views and traditional low country dishes. Reservations are advised. Amenities included outdoor swimming pool in a natural setting and the inn is pet friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Middleton Place? Share your experiences!