“A Retreat Worth The Trip!” 4 of 5 stars

10% off Sunday-Thursday
Ranked #21 of 54 hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Retreat Worth The Trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

As a single female traveler, I spent several hours searching and researching a vacay site where I would feel safe. I needed a location that was within my budget, would provide me with an opportunity to rest, and most of all, provide safety. I found it at the Middleton Inn. Middleton Inn is located on the Middleton Place Plantation.

I must admit, although I was comfortable at the inn, I didn't have the nerve to walk the wooded paths. I look forward to a return trip where I will explore more of the property's features such as kayaking and horseback riding.

Be sure to take the tours of Middleton Place and the gardens. It's included in your room rate so take advantage of it.

On the disappointing side was the bathroom. The staff called it black grout but to me it looked like mold. This was on the wall, nearest the ceiling. It did appear they used black grout for the tile area, not the best choice for aesthetic purposes.

The location of my room was away from the river. Which for me, was a nick on the safety meter. Rooms near the registration office are actually set apart from main lodge/hub of the inn's activity. My room assignment was probably due to my Expedia-packaged deal. As a matter of fact, the registration profile listed "Expedia Room Only." No opportunity for a gratis upgrade with that remark! LOL

The property is simply beautiful. The continental breakfast coupled with the evening wine and cheese soiree made each day, a welcoming experience. Connecting with the river was a special moment, as well.

All in all, this was the best vacation ever! I have already booked for my return visit.

BEST RESTUARANT: Thanks to Greg Fisher, GM, Ashley, Heather, and the receptionists. The hen and farmer's salad were my entrees of choice. I tried to vary my eating choices but kept landing at the Middleton Inn's restaurant for fine food, a relaxed atmosphere, and great service.

Room Tip: If you are alone ask for a room near the lodge. Rooms in the 400 series might not be a good choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

520 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed her with my elderly mother who uses a walker and let me make it clear, this is not a hotel for anyone who has any mobility issues. This hotel is nice, although the room we had was worn. Impeccably clean, but the finish on the desk was work down to the bare wood, the bathroom door was difficult to open and close and the tub was a tile tub that had seen better days, not the vessel tub shown in the pictures. The worst part was a toilet that was barely off the ground. My knees didn't appreciate it and my mother had a very difficult time with it.

Additionally, the room was damp. The Lowcountry had been rained on hard and clearly no one had turned on the a/c soon enough to dry it out before our arrival.

The staff seems to be very diligent and the free breakfast was very nice, including a local paper and a photocopied extract from the NYTimes.

Also, the dirt roads had clearly suffered from the recent rains and badly needed a scraping. Driving back in the dark was a tooth-rattling experience.

The setting is beautiful but the rooms would benefit if some of the shrubs and tree between the hotel and the river were trimmed back to allow more of a view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been renovated!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sikeston, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We spent one night at The Inn on our way to Charleston, SC and it really started our vacation off on a great note. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and most of all ... clean. The atmosphere there was relaxed and the staff could not have been more helpful. Truthfully, our check in time was delayed about an hour or so because the room wasn't ready but we had no problem finding something to do in the meantime. It was worth the wait and this was the only problem we encountered. The Inn still gets 5 stars from me.

What impressed me most was the staff. Everyone we met was friendly and extremely helpful. You can tell that their goal is to assure their visitors enjoy the stay. Abigail, the GM, was most helpful when we originally made plans for our Charleston trip and also was happy to help with questions we had that really had nothing to do with her job. I appreciate people who take time to go above and beyond their daily responsibilities.

If you're looking for a place to relax, as well as being within walking distance of a historic plantation and beautiful gardens, this is the place. Don't miss it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! It was a pleasure to help. My staff and I are here and ready for your next visit (or retirement!) to Charleston! Be well! Abigail Martin, General Manager
Georgetown, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just stayed in July 2013 for a get-a-way and loved it! I was worried after some of the review but the only thing I can come up with is that what people "want" is totally unrealistic. We LOVED this place, it felt magic almost! With the views and the neat rooms that were clean! Plus the staff was great and very helpful in every way! We checked in late and had a window we opened and couldn’t get closed (we were turning handle wrong) and they sent someone down right away to help! What great service! We will be back as soon as possible. Clean and helpful in every way! This is a must see place! Do not pass this one up!

Room Tip: We had a wooded lot, it was nice and on the bottom. Nice for summer, room was nice and cool!
Green Features: Very environmentally friends, even differetn trash cans ;) Their soaps were even "green: to cool
W. Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at The Inn at Middleton Place in Charleston, SC 25-27 Jun 2013, room 333. It was terrible. We did a Living Social deal for 2 nights at $344.00. Lowest toilet ever seen, tub did not look clean, shower very slippery, also shower very close to light fixture. Bathroom door would not slide out to close. When you turned on the bathroom fan, it pulled in the air from the fireplace which was stale and made the whole room stink. Room was too dark, not enough outlets, shutters falling apart. The sheets and blanket were paper thin and uncomfortable to sleep on. Walking outside, the paths need to have more lights. This whole place needs to be updated. It is in a great location.

Room Tip: The Gardens at Middleton Place were beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad to hear that you agree that our location is great, and hope that you were able to take part admission to Middleton Place ($86 value for two), the Healthy Start Breakfast, evening reception and bicycle rentals that were all included in the outstanding deal offered by Living Social. It is obvious to me that we need to work with Living Social and other promotional sites to make sure they are properly showcasing and describing the Inn accurately, so that guests such as yourselves understand the location you are purchasing and visiting; prior to arrival. The Inn’s architecture is praised and recognized on a global basis daily, it is a shame you didn’t agree. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay; happy continued travels. Abigail M. Martin, General Manager
Indian Trail, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is truly a gem. The property was lovely and full of wildlife. Lots of gators, blue heron and turtles. The grounds are beautiful and the history is so cool. We did the low country getaway and it was awesome. It included a picnic lunch which was yummy. They serve free drinks and apps at reception from 5-7. We did the kayak down the Ashley river which was amazing. The room is very nice and you are not in there much anyway. We didn't have time for horseback riding but it looked like fun also. Worth every penny. We spent our 12th anniversary there and they even left us a card and a gift. So sweet. Highly recommended and will be back!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room as you should be out and about on the grounds and not hanging out inside!
Green Features: They have recycling bins in the rooms which is nice. They also provide organic toiletries.
Mooresville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night. Our room was located in the lower level of the 3 floor "residences". I have to say that the lower level was not welcoming at all. The bottom of the door was rotting out and the concrete walkout and walls needed a good power washing. The bedroom space was ample with a wall of windows which overlooked the grassy area. There is a small fireplace in the room, but unfortunately made the entire room smell like a campfire (even though we didn't use it). The bathroom was odd. I have a feeling that these inn spaces were built sometime in the early 80s as the decor and architecture reflects it in the oversized mosaic tile shower and bath and the gigantic (and low) toilet. The bathroom ceiling was also rounded which gave it a cave-like feel. Overall it was just a disappointing room for $200.00 per night. On the plus side, admission to Middleton Place is included. It is a beautiful plantation and I recommend visiting.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I’m sorry that the Inn wasn’t for you. Within a day of each other, your review showing surprise that the Inn is looked at as ‘Romantic’ and another with the title ‘Romantic Location’ were posted. Obvious proof that opinions are just that; opinions! We are researching ideas to help make the lower level courtyard room entrances more welcoming, however, the simplicity of the architecture really doesn’t warrant any make-up. The Inn was built in 1985 and many permanent fixtures do reflect that time line. Multiple updates and room refreshes have been done over the last year that only adds to the room’s character. I’d love for you to contact me personally to discuss a possible return visit to see the changes we have undergone. Thank you again for your time, and your visit. All my best, Abigail M. Martin, General Manager

Been to Inn at Middleton Place? Share your experiences!