“Spectacular setting, worth a visit!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off Sunday-Thursday
Ranked #18 of 54 hotels in Charleston
New York City, New York
“Spectacular setting, worth a visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The best part of the Inn is its surroundings. When you step on the property, you immediately feel relaxed in the remote, breathtaking setting. The air smells like honeysuckle and the plantation gardens (fabulous) are only a five-minute walk from the rooms. There's a two mile running/walking trail around the sunken rice fields where we saw alligators, herons, flowers, and various wildlife. We were very surprised to see the rooms - they are very ugly buildings that look like "barracks" in the words of friends. However, we were very happy when we stepped inside. It's rustic, to be sure, and could use some updating (dated bathrooms, tube televisions, etc.) but the views are just lovely, the beds are comfortable, there was utter quiet, and it felt spacious. There's a fireplace in every room, which is a lovely touch, but don't make a fire unless you like a lingering "fire smell" (and who doesn't?)

The breakfast consists of three to five freshly baked breads (delicious), toast & english muffins, etc., a few homemade jams and preserves, fruit, yogurt, and granola. I thought that was more than sufficient but there are also hot items available for purchase. The Inn includes admission to the Plantation, and the staff was extremely helpful in pointing out things to do and various directions. It's about a twenty minute drive into Charleston, and about a fifteen minute drive from the airport, but I would absolutely recommend renting a car if you plan to explore the surrounding area. The dining options at the Inn are limited, and book up, so I would recommend eating in Charleston - Magnolia's was delicious.

Overall, the Inn was relaxing, lovely, and remote - a hidden gem and a unique place. Manage your expectations and you'll adore it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

541 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this inn for two nights during a recent trip to Charleston. I thought it would be a good idea to split up the trip - two nights at Middleton and four nights in the town of Charleston. It was the perfect combination. The property that includes the Inn and the Plantation are rather large. This is a peaceful, rural setting, and walking on paths is necessary to enjoy the entire place. There was not a reachable plug next to the bed, as mentioned by prior reviewer, so we called for an extension cord for my husband's CPAP machine, and it was delivered within 10 minutes; we've had this same issue at multiple other places. The food and service at the lodge (free happy hour and snacks), lakehouse for breakfast, and at the restaurant were very good. Tours of the plantation come with the hotel charge, and there is plenty to see. It was just the right place to begin our vacation! Nice touch with umbrella stands outside of each building - our room, lodge, restaurant, etc., which we thankfully did not need to use. They also had complimentary bikes available for hotel guests at several spots on the inn property. I arrived full of stress, and left this place much more relaxed. And I can't forget to mention the magestic trees all across the property - my favorite picture from the trip is me standing underneath one on the plantation along the river.

Room Tip: We stayed in a nice room on the second floor of building 4 which is near the check-in building, and...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

The Inn at Middleton Place exceeded our expectations. We went to see the gardens, which were in full bloom and lovely, but we were so impressed wth the contemporary decor at the Inn and the helpful attitude of the entire staff. We had dinner and a movie with the other guests one night and a fresh and healthy breakfast both mornings of our stay. The highlight was our kayaking trip through the cypress swamp right on the property led by a local and very knowledgeable guide. Perfect springtime getaway!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I recently had an opportunity to be in Charleston and looked forward to a return visit to this magical spot. The grounds and history are truly outstanding and make a visit to The Inn at Middleton Place a must do.

There is so much "right" about this place that I am hesitant to "complain" but what truly needs improvement is the attention to the guest experience, most specifically in room. It would serve everyone well if the management packed their bags and actually checked in and experienced what the guests do. While nothing was tragic on its own it all added up enough to bring what should be an exquisite stay down to something just average.

Upgraded linens and towels would be an obvious start
Providing outlets beside bed is a must (Think CPAP Machine?)
How do you set those Alarm Clocks?
Ensuring the right amenities are left is just detail work (why 3 shampoos 1 day vs one lotion conditioner and shampoo another)
Why was a piece of rubber debris left on the staircase for (4 +?) days
When are the rooms going to have the woodwork redone and the concrete painted?

It's the attention to detail that ensures the guest experience is fabulous so hopefully the staff here can regroup and start to get back on track and keep this magical spot outstanding.

Room Tip: The Grand Rooms extra space is well worth it
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
L/A, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here recently for meetings. It's a step up from camping. The grounds are very nice. However, it is very rustic and the pathways are gravel and pebbles with very little lighting at night. The rooms are wood, stucco and tile---it was damp while we were there and all you could smell in the rooms was wet ash from the fireplaces. The floors were always gritty. The electrical plugs were non-existent except for the bare necessities like lamps and electric shavers. I had to move the desk so I could get to an outlet on the floor under the desk to plug in my cell phone at night--I wanted it near me. The alarm clock had a ipod dock and it was extremely difficult to set--I never did figure it out so I ended up with it going off every morning at 7:30. The outlets in the bathroom were very close to the sink. Luckily there was a shelf near the sink so I could plug my ipad in there and put it on the shelf while it was charging. The little coffee pot they provided, however, had to be placed almost in the sink to be used as the cord wouldn't reach to the other side of the sink which had plenty of surface space. The tub was unusual----150 gallon capacity with a rather high side that you had to climb over in order to get to the shower apparatus. And the walls were so thin I could hear my upstairs neighbor's alarm clock going off in the morning, etc. TV was old and had poor reception. It would've been nice if I were 30ish on a romantic weekend I suppose. The food was less than impressive although the service was good--except in The Lodge. There was supposed to be sandwiches and such served there during the noon hour except, when I went to get one, no one was there to serve you. There was a phone with a note to call if you wanted service. Continental breakfast (included) was fine. If you wanted a good meal at the on-site restaurant, you had to walk quite a distance to the gardens off the inn property. I heard the food there was excellent. It stopped serving dinner at 8 pm and it's so dark coming back that you really need a flashlight to help you navigage your way back---I read in another review that the rooms had flashlights in chargers but there was no flashlight in my room. In fact, I even had to ask for an extra roll of TP as there was only the one on the holder in the bathroom. The general consensus of the group was that we would not go back. BTW--it costs anywhere from $45 to $60 one way for a cab from the airport. The Inn has no shuttle service. Cabs don't enter the grounds---you have to meet them at the registration office which is quite a walk from the rooms. My flight was very early in the morning so I chose to stay at another venue closer to the airport with shuttle service rather than have to walk to the registration office in the dark at 4 or so in the morning to meet the cab. All in all, it wasn't a great experience---but the meetings were terrific!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here April 11th. What a wonderful surprise this facility is. The grounds are very private and beautiful. The rooms were very comfortable and I loved the decor. We had a room upstairs with a woodland view. It was wonderful. The wine and cheese offered at 5pm was a delight! We sat out by the river and had our wine. We also had dinner at the restaurant and it was excellent. The Healthy Breakfast that was included was all we needed. The view of the wisteria draping on the trees from the breakfast room was so soothing. The gardens were in full bloom. We are looking forward to returning next year. J.Thomas

Room Tip: We liked the woodland view. Very private..
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here at the peak of spring blooming and the gardens were exquisite! We had a king riverside room. The beds were comfortable, views outstanding, service excellent. The food at all 3 venues was very good and affordable. One must appreciate the history, location, and architecture to get the most from your stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Middleton Place? Share your experiences!