“Just the right place for us” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off Sunday-Thursday
Ranked #20 of 54 hotels in Charleston
pittsburgh
“Just the right place for us”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this inn for two nights during a recent trip to Charleston. I thought it would be a good idea to split up the trip - two nights at Middleton and four nights in the town of Charleston. It was the perfect combination. The property that includes the Inn and the Plantation are rather large. This is a peaceful, rural setting, and walking on paths is necessary to enjoy the entire place. There was not a reachable plug next to the bed, as mentioned by prior reviewer, so we called for an extension cord for my husband's CPAP machine, and it was delivered within 10 minutes; we've had this same issue at multiple other places. The food and service at the lodge (free happy hour and snacks), lakehouse for breakfast, and at the restaurant were very good. Tours of the plantation come with the hotel charge, and there is plenty to see. It was just the right place to begin our vacation! Nice touch with umbrella stands outside of each building - our room, lodge, restaurant, etc., which we thankfully did not need to use. They also had complimentary bikes available for hotel guests at several spots on the inn property. I arrived full of stress, and left this place much more relaxed. And I can't forget to mention the magestic trees all across the property - my favorite picture from the trip is me standing underneath one on the plantation along the river.

Room Tip: We stayed in a nice room on the second floor of building 4 which is near the check-in building, and...

530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

The Inn at Middleton Place exceeded our expectations. We went to see the gardens, which were in full bloom and lovely, but we were so impressed wth the contemporary decor at the Inn and the helpful attitude of the entire staff. We had dinner and a movie with the other guests one night and a fresh and healthy breakfast both mornings of our stay. The highlight was our kayaking trip through the cypress swamp right on the property led by a local and very knowledgeable guide. Perfect springtime getaway!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I recently had an opportunity to be in Charleston and looked forward to a return visit to this magical spot. The grounds and history are truly outstanding and make a visit to The Inn at Middleton Place a must do.

There is so much "right" about this place that I am hesitant to "complain" but what truly needs improvement is the attention to the guest experience, most specifically in room. It would serve everyone well if the management packed their bags and actually checked in and experienced what the guests do. While nothing was tragic on its own it all added up enough to bring what should be an exquisite stay down to something just average.

Upgraded linens and towels would be an obvious start
Providing outlets beside bed is a must (Think CPAP Machine?)
How do you set those Alarm Clocks?
Ensuring the right amenities are left is just detail work (why 3 shampoos 1 day vs one lotion conditioner and shampoo another)
Why was a piece of rubber debris left on the staircase for (4 +?) days
When are the rooms going to have the woodwork redone and the concrete painted?

It's the attention to detail that ensures the guest experience is fabulous so hopefully the staff here can regroup and start to get back on track and keep this magical spot outstanding.

Room Tip: The Grand Rooms extra space is well worth it
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
L/A, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here recently for meetings. It's a step up from camping. The grounds are very nice. However, it is very rustic and the pathways are gravel and pebbles with very little lighting at night. The rooms are wood, stucco and tile---it was damp while we were there and all you could smell in the rooms was wet ash from the fireplaces. The floors were always gritty. The electrical plugs were non-existent except for the bare necessities like lamps and electric shavers. I had to move the desk so I could get to an outlet on the floor under the desk to plug in my cell phone at night--I wanted it near me. The alarm clock had a ipod dock and it was extremely difficult to set--I never did figure it out so I ended up with it going off every morning at 7:30. The outlets in the bathroom were very close to the sink. Luckily there was a shelf near the sink so I could plug my ipad in there and put it on the shelf while it was charging. The little coffee pot they provided, however, had to be placed almost in the sink to be used as the cord wouldn't reach to the other side of the sink which had plenty of surface space. The tub was unusual----150 gallon capacity with a rather high side that you had to climb over in order to get to the shower apparatus. And the walls were so thin I could hear my upstairs neighbor's alarm clock going off in the morning, etc. TV was old and had poor reception. It would've been nice if I were 30ish on a romantic weekend I suppose. The food was less than impressive although the service was good--except in The Lodge. There was supposed to be sandwiches and such served there during the noon hour except, when I went to get one, no one was there to serve you. There was a phone with a note to call if you wanted service. Continental breakfast (included) was fine. If you wanted a good meal at the on-site restaurant, you had to walk quite a distance to the gardens off the inn property. I heard the food there was excellent. It stopped serving dinner at 8 pm and it's so dark coming back that you really need a flashlight to help you navigage your way back---I read in another review that the rooms had flashlights in chargers but there was no flashlight in my room. In fact, I even had to ask for an extra roll of TP as there was only the one on the holder in the bathroom. The general consensus of the group was that we would not go back. BTW--it costs anywhere from $45 to $60 one way for a cab from the airport. The Inn has no shuttle service. Cabs don't enter the grounds---you have to meet them at the registration office which is quite a walk from the rooms. My flight was very early in the morning so I chose to stay at another venue closer to the airport with shuttle service rather than have to walk to the registration office in the dark at 4 or so in the morning to meet the cab. All in all, it wasn't a great experience---but the meetings were terrific!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here April 11th. What a wonderful surprise this facility is. The grounds are very private and beautiful. The rooms were very comfortable and I loved the decor. We had a room upstairs with a woodland view. It was wonderful. The wine and cheese offered at 5pm was a delight! We sat out by the river and had our wine. We also had dinner at the restaurant and it was excellent. The Healthy Breakfast that was included was all we needed. The view of the wisteria draping on the trees from the breakfast room was so soothing. The gardens were in full bloom. We are looking forward to returning next year. J.Thomas

Room Tip: We liked the woodland view. Very private..
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here at the peak of spring blooming and the gardens were exquisite! We had a king riverside room. The beds were comfortable, views outstanding, service excellent. The food at all 3 venues was very good and affordable. One must appreciate the history, location, and architecture to get the most from your stay.

Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We've spent here a week because we thought that we've found a place of real value to relax and regain power. But it was noisy, the rooms are outworn and the manager on duty as well as the GM don't realy care about their customers. Although we've paid a high price/rate for our room, the noise we have been presented to was unacceptable: on Sunday a carpenter was working above our room in the morning and in the evening a plumber did the same. A complaint did not initiate a reaction of the front desk until 8:30 p. m. almost two hours later.
Who ever is going to stay here should ask for a second floor room at the Lodge because you will get a view then. The wooden floors are queeking and when heavy people are moving around that is no fun - whether all day or at night. And the "pool" is not worth to be mentioned because the water is not inviting you too - it is troubled, milky and unclean.

Our overall experiene is: it could be a place to remember but that means they have to improve service, rooms, pool area, awareness, etc.

• Stayed April 2013
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for spending a week at Middleton. I’m sure you found the gardens to be in their glory of full bloom and hope you took part in the value of admission ($86 per couple, per day!) that was included in the room rate. When you spoke to the assistant manager about your concerns we expressed sincere apologies that the renovations and remodeling of the guest rooms were affecting your stay. I believe we were able to work out a solution that helped, so I’m disappointed that point wasn’t shared as well. It is unfair to assume that myself, or Micheal whom you spoke too, didn’t care. Past reviews stating just the opposite is what we normally hear. I am sorry that you did not enjoy this stay, but hope you will decide to visit again to see the finished product of renovations and while the pool is open and in season. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me personally. Abigail M. Martin, General Manager

Been to Inn at Middleton Place? Share your experiences!