“Unique Inn!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oak Harbor, Washington
“Unique Inn!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I recently spent one night at the Inn at Middleton Place. We were not sure what to expect since there had been some poor reviews on tripadvisor in the recent past. We, however, were very happy with our stay at the Inn at Middleton. We enjoyed the fact that our room was a little different than the average, cookie-cutter room. I loved all the shutters that enabled us to completely open up the room to sunlight, as well as close off the entire room at night. Okay, certain aspects (shower) may have seen better days, but we didn't mind. The entire outdoor area by the Inn is very woodsy and unique. Some great extras were the complimentary healthy breakfast in the Lake House...a very beautiful space with great food. My husband LOVED the hot oatmeal! Also, the complimentary evening reception with beer, wine, and appetizers was lovely. We also enjoyed the lit walk at night from the Inn to the restaurant at Middleton Place. We made good use of the flashlight that was in our room for this journey, which was only about 10 minutes away. All in all, I'd love to stay there again.

520 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Check-in was adequate but provided no information about biking and walking trails. We found a couple of one-mile loops through forest and around a brackish, flooded former rice field. It was full of wading birds, shore birds and alligators. An otter poked its head out of the water to check us out. WE spent hours in the secluded areas. The room was an architect's dash at being creative. It was mostly windows with shutters for privacy. They provided firewood and a match and fire-starter kit. The huge tub didn't work well because the stopper leaked. We had free wi-fi in our room and free tickets to the plantation next door. We spent all afternoon in the gardens, house and recreated shops and stables. We enjoyed a great Continental breakfast overlooking a gorgeous woods. They have free snacks and a bar in the Lodge after 5 pm. The lodge also has a limited menu of sandwiches which enabled us to stay in the grounds without having to venture out in the car to eat. We did not eat at the restaurant at the Plantation but it looked very inviting. The docents at the house were wonderfully enthusiastic and the carpenter and pottery guy told us wonderful stories of life on the plantation.

Room Tip: I paid an extra $10 a night for a river view which wasn't necessary. I'd recommend a top flo...
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

There is apparently a wide variety to the quality of the rooms here. The pictures on the website show a well-decorated, well-lit, luxurious room with a large flat screen TV. We paid the upgrade for a "riverview" room and so I was sure our room would be nice. When we opened our door, though, it looked like we were entering a cement-walled panic room. The walls have no decorations - not one. The walls are cream, the ceiling is cream, the bed is plain cream and everything else is old, dark wood. There is hardly any lighting and the TV is smaller than one you'd find in a hospital room (and with fewer channels). That's okay, though, the lodge offers free movie rentals...only one problem: There's no DVD player in the room!

"Well, it has a fireplace", we thought - maybe we can light one and it will be a little more romantic. The wood they provide is too green to light well, so you end up with smoke, basically, and lots of it. Both my husband and I are very experienced in dealing with a wood-burning fireplace, but I'm not sure anyone could get a successful fire going in that place. The flue was wide open, but every time we tried to start a fire, the room just filled up with smoke. It got so bad we had to open the two small windows, leave the room and come back once the fire died. The whole place smells like smoke, and our room filled up with smoke even when the fire wasn't going. We think maybe it was coming down the chimney from the upstairs room? Anyway, I opened our luggage at home and it smells like smoke!

The bathroom is large, but plain as well. The shower head is so low you have to bend over backwards to rinse your hair. (I'm 5'7") There was plenty of hot water, though and there were some nice touches (they leave some bath salts for you).

Some positives: They do host a little evening reception with free wine, beer and appetizers. That was enjoyable. The water in the room is complimentary and they leave a complimentary snack as well. The breakfast in the morning is free and it isn't huge by any means, but it is something. (You do have to walk quite a ways to go get it.)

I loved being able to tour the gardens for free (that is included for guests of the Inn). They were very pretty and it was a nice experience. We did dine at the restaurant there and it was good. It wasn't great, but it was a nice meal.

If you like nature and a minimalist room, you'd be just fine. If you expect a luxurious, romantic experience, look elsewhere. There are so many good inns in Charleston.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra for the riverview rooms; we didn't think it was worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper/MI, General Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you guest for taking the time to share your opinions on your stay! I’d like to help clarify some of your comments and wholeheartedly agree with you that if a potential guest is interested in nature and a minimalistic room, they will not be disappointed.

First, we have three different types of rooms. The Ashley River Suite, Grand Rooms and Riverview/Woodview Rooms. The Ashley River room, which sounds like what you reference in your review, is a one of kind with a wrap around balcony, separate shower and bathtub with a skylight in the bathroom, and very large flat-screened television. Grand Rooms have a sofa included in their seating area and have upgraded amenities, including a DVD/VCR player. The Riverview/Woodview rooms are rooms with either view, with your choice of one King, one Queen or rooms with two twin sized beds. We offer DVD/VCR’s to rent, along with a movie selection, in the Lodge.

The architect wanted no items to be placed on the walls, as that distracted from the view out your windows. I suppose that is personal taste. We have, over the years, added Spoleto pictures to some rooms as the Spoleto Finale is held at Middleton Place.

We are in the process of dealing with the architecially issue of the low shower heads by adding in extension pipes, and we are choosing to upgrade to high definition TV’s but will continue forward with limited stations.

Thank you for sharing your comments and enjoying time in Charleston! Yours truly, Abigail M. Martin, General Manager
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Let me start by saying we didn't have one of the 5 star rooms referred to in an earlier review with plasma TV etc (but who goes on holiday to sit and watch TV anyway - especially in the USA). And yes the room shows its age and the windows could have used a clean. But it was still 5* for us, the staff were as friendly as one could expect, if anything was requested like new firelighters they were provided instantly, (we had fires twice and had no problem with wet logs - logs don't get saturated, just wet on the outside),toiletries were replaced automatically. We appreciated the early evening complimentary drinks and nibbles, the breakfast was great (the whole point of a Continental breakfast is there are no meats or eggs - but they were available for a moderate sum and one plate was plenty for two of us to share.) we used the restaurant twice - it's a 10 minute walk away along an illuminated path which made for a great way to get to and from dinner, and the food and service was terrific and the price moderate, an opinion shared by other people we talked to.
The grounds are spectacular, and you get free admission to the Middleton Place estate which is awesome. Charleston is about a 20 minute drive away, which worked fine for us. We went there on our arrival day before going to the hotel and another late afternoon/early evening to do more sightseeing, take in a musical event and a play - we left the play at the interval, the acting was grim!
I find some of the remarks in other reviews puzzling, is an architectural award not worth anything just because it was given in the 1970s?

Haymarket, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had some pretty high expectations of this hotel based on the tripadvisor reviews (that existed at the time we made our reservations some time ago) and the good-looking web site; however, we were let down upon arrival - starting with the not-too-friendly or helpful check-in desk girl, and ending with a look around the room upon arriving. The place was designed and built in the 1970's and has apparently not been refurbished in any way since. Everything is rather beat up, worn and truly looks like it's been in continuous use for 40 years. I couldn't tell whether the tile grout was black or had turned black with mold. The corners of the tub were just gross. All the woodwork around the windows and near the floor was water stained and/or rotten. Most of the shutters were broken and didn't open properly. But the most appalling thing in the room was the windows - they were so dirty on the outside that it was literally difficult to see out. This is something that could and should have been attended to by the management. It was first thing we noticed on walking in the door and putting our bags down and became a running joke amongst us.
I don't know what award the award-winning architecture of this hotel won but it must have been given out in the 70's. The place looks like the Fuhrer Bunker from the movie "Downfall" or the sub pens at La Rochelle from "Das Boot".
We tried to put a fire in the fireplace to give some warmth to the soulless concrete room but the large logs from the woodpile outside were all saturated and it was almost impossible to get them lit without any kindling. The starter blocks that are provided aren't really up to it. The whole place inside and out smells like failed, smouldering fires.
In general, the hotel isn't what it appears to be on the web and should be avoided; particularly, at full price. We were disappointed even after getting a ridiculously low rate through 'snique away'.

Room Tip: If you must stay, get a room on the 3rd (top) floor for a better view of the river (assuming the win...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Waltham, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

It just dawned on me as I reread a few of the 5 STAR reviews of the Inn at Middleton Place, that THESE rooms must be the ones that come with a welcome basket, bathrobes, plasma TV, rose petals strewn about the room and the cleaned, polished floors displayed on the Inn’s website. Clearly these ‘special rooms’ must be what the 5 star reviews are about, because I know FOR SURE that our room didn’t come even close to having any of those amenities. Here’s what our room came with (or didn’t come with):

—> we did initially get 3 bottles of water, but they were never replenished each day
—> fire starter only replaced one night, we went without the rest of the time
—> wood was available downstairs but hadn’t dried out; took us a while to get and keep the fire going
—> fire place never cleaned out during our stay; would have helped us with building fires
—> room floors and all remaining woodwork needing to be cleaned/polished
—> walls have cracks, stains
—> few electrical outlets
—> leaky door that let cold air in
—> window next to fire place whose screen popped out and then the same window didn’t close fully
—> an old TV with only a handful of channels
—> dirty bathroom mirrors
—> one of the bathroom mirrors was loose and pulling away from the wall. Only the vent above the sink to keep it from falling forward
—> noisy toilet that made dripping sounds intermittently throughout the night
—> bizarre building design (subjective matter)
—> housecleaning staff left trash and bags dirty linen and fireplace remnant buckets at the base of the stair cases outside of our building. The next day it was still there so I did call the front desk about as animals had started to go through the trash. They did come by to get it eventually.

Believe it or not I can actually say a few positive things:
—> our bed was comfortable
—> the water was slow to get hot (run it for a minute or so), but it did eventually get hot and was plentiful.
—> the staff at breakfast was pleasant
—> the Continental breakfast was adequate (no meat or eggs unless you pay extra)

I was going to contact the management directly about these things, but after reading a couple of their latest responses to other critical postings, I reconsidered - why bother since the problem with this place IS the MANAGEMENT! It appears instead of taking action from all of the free feedback that the public has been sharing here FOR YEARS and then making changes, they’re choosing to not change things and will sadly lose business as a result. My husband and I love returning to hotels and restaurants that give great service and product. The hard working public deserves to know that not all experiences are the same at this place and clearly not all rooms are of equal quality. Sure I understand there being special suites for those needing a larger place or paying for better accommodations, but I EXPECT, at MINIMUM, that the cleanliness and attention to detail to be equal among all rooms. And it clearly is not.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you guest for taking the time to share your opinions! I am sorry you decided not to contact me directly to discuss, as I would have been as honest and concerned over some of the items as you were!

To help clarify some of your comments, please know that there are no 5 star rooms used just for reviews, all the many 5 star reviews we have received are a matter of personal choice, just as your review is. Potential guests can choose to believe what they wish, and as always I have placed my name in every response so that I can be contacted prior, during, or after a stay with concerns and comments. If I and my team didn’t feel that way, I’d hide behind a anonymous review myself, but I don’t. I am truly sorry you didn’t give me the chance to look into your allegations and rectify any mistakes that may have been made.

The water in the fridge is complimentary and is a welcome gift. Additional water is available to purchase in the Lodge. We do place a bottle of water by the coffee maker, for those guests not interested in using the well water. You should receive a fire starter each time stay over service is conducted but we do bank ashes, as it is easier to start a fire with the ashes left in the space. We clean them out after a guest leaves however, prior to the next stay. We are in the process of refinishing all the wood, and will address the fact there are few electrical outlets at the same time, as well as an upgrade in design for the televisions and lighting within the rooms. Without having had the chance to speak with you directly, I can not confirm or deny the upkeep of your particular room.

I am happy that you found the breakfast adequate and that your bed was comfortable. Those two items are defiantly subject to personal taste. We here at the Inn take to heart all the reviews, positive and negative, and do very much listen to the public. We are undergoing major room refreshes to get the wood and fixtures back to the level they were when the Inn opened and have incorporated many of the guest’s suggestions we have seen on this forum. The far majority of whom I speak too are overwhelmed with their fantastic stays and the value that is incorporated in a room rate. I hope you choose to give us another try in the future. All my best, Abigail M. Martin, General Manager
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I chose to stay at this place for our honeymoon based on reviews on this site and others. We didn’t want to pay an arm and a leg for an upscale experience, but we wanted to go somewhere that was not a traditional hotel. The overall experience was good, but I must say I was very disappointed with the room itself. The pictures make it look great, but in person it just looked old and worn out, the bed especially. It was extremely soft and the “comforter” looked like it had not been replaced since they opened the place in the 80’s. It was very thin and honestly kind of grossed me out. The towels were much the same. There was also make-up on the pillow sheets and a hair in the bed. It made me question how clean the rest of the room was also the rest of the time we were there.

On the positive side, all of the common areas were very nice. The complimentary breakfast option didn’t provide many options, but it was enough to hold us over until lunch. They had coffee, OJ, different types of breads, yogurt and granola, cereal, and oatmeal. We stopped in for the wine and beer happy hour, but decided not to stay. It did look nice though. The Middleton Place grounds were fun. We spent one day walking around the plantation touring the gardens, the house, and some of the smaller farm themed attractions. We did the romantic package which got us tours at the plantation, horse rides, bike rides, champagne and chocolate, and dinner at the restaurant. We never had time to do the bike rides, but that’s because we decided to do other things. The horse rides were nice, but we had both ridden a few times before, so it wasn’t anything real special. I think we were most impressed with the dinner portion of our package. The dinner was fantastic. We got an appetizer, two entrees, wine, and dessert. Tip was included.

Overall I honestly liked the Middleton Place, but I think if we were to go back, we would stay somewhere else and visit the grounds instead. You do get a good deal with the packages available, but the accommodations were just such a letdown that I don’t know if it was worth it or not.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Middleton Place? Share your experiences!