“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a really nice hotel in the heart of the historic Charleston area. Walking distance from everything that you want to explore in this beautiful city. The staff is helpful and courteous. The hotel is clean and very well kept. They have a rooftop bar/pool area which seems to attract a lot of local folks too and appears to be a big hangout place for drinks before/after dinner. Very lively and happening scene. The rooftop (Pavilion) has a very nice view and due to it's popularity can make finding a place to sit hard at peak times.
The only thing I would change, if I could, would be a room with a window that gave us more natural light; even if no view. The window in our room (#219) opened to a wall only a few feet away and that deprived us of natural light. Apart from that one issue, the hotel was great and up to our expectation.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Charleston and wants to be close to the city and be in the heart of everything. This hotel did not appear to be one where I would necessarily take kids; but that can just a personal opinion and not a reflection on the hotel itself.

Room Tip: I stayed in #219 and that room's window does not get any natural light. If you're looking fo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased you had a “great stay” and found the hotel to be in the perfect location for you and that you found the hotel to be clean and well kept. Yes, the Pavilion Bar is the premier rooftop bar in Charleston and at times gets busy. I do apologize but your accommodations were an inside hospitality suite. Being in the city, we do have rooms which have an interior view. I am glad your overall experience was good and we would love to have you stay with us again in the future. Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We booked the Market Pavilion Hotel for a Mothers Day Weekend with our grown daughter. She had not been back to Charleston since she was a little girl so we wanted to stay at a very special hotel. The Market Pavilion exceeded our expectations in every way. First of all, we were upgraded to a Concierge level double queen room with a view of City Market. We were treated to a full breakfast, afternoon tea sandwiches, and champagne and Hors d'Oeuvres in the early evening. In addition to the wonderful food, we enjoyed our conversations with our Concierge A.J. He was right on in his suggestions for wonderful dining experiences in Charleston. He also shared stores about his native India and by the time we left we felt we had made a new friend.

A.J. was just one of the many friendly employees we encountered at the Market Pavilion. Susanne at the lobby Concierge desk was helpful throughout our stay. We truly felt pampered.

Last but not least of the special amenities at this hotel was the rooftop pool and bar! I don't think there is another hotel in Charleston that has this feature.

It was a very memorable Mothers Day weekend.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel for Mothers Day weekend. We are so pleased that we could make it memorable for you and that you enjoyed your stay. We very much appreciate your kind comments and for acknowledging AJ and Susanne. I will share your comments with them, which I am sure they will appreciate. I am also glad you were able to enjoy the many amenities of the concierge level of the hotel. Yes we are blessed to have the Pavilion Bar high atop the hotel and having the pool for our guests to enjoy is great. Thank you once again for sharing your comments.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Our first time to Charleston, S.C. was overall a great experience. The Market Pavilion was a beautiful hotel in a great location within walking distance to most everything. Stayed in a suite room #225, beautiful large corner room with juliet balconies, overlooking east bay/market street. But beware if your a light sleeper, bring your ear plugs, the noise level of the street will be loud at times, mostly at 6:00 a.m. in the morning. Our room included all of the amenities of the concierge level. We only went to the breakfast each morning which was just OK. They need to change it up a little,they had the same food every day. A nice bonus was that there was coffee,pastries and fruit on each floor every morning, which was a nice touch and no extra charge. The roof top bar, was a lot of fun,but thought the male bartender we had for two nights was pretty rude.
Pros:
1) The location
2) Beautiful hotel
3) Two special employees that went out of their way, Kim the concierge was such a joy to talk with and gave us suggestions on things to do and very knowledgable of the area. Marc S., the bartender at Grill 225 which is located on the main floor was so sweet and took care of us, try one of the nitro martini's . I would recommend and stay here again:)

Room Tip: Room #225 large corner king room with juliet balcony's great views, but noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We are so glad that you were able to enjoy a mother/daughter trip. I am glad you enjoyed the many amenities that comes with your room and enjoyed our location and found the hotel to be beautiful. I apologize to you regarding the male bartender and have addressed your comments with them. I also thank you for acknowledging Kim our concierge and Marc the bartender at Grill 225. I thank you for doing your review and hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My husband & I stayed at the hotel this weekend to celebrate our 15 year wedding anniversary. The hotel is beautiful & service is absolutely top notch. Very clean, large rooms and bathrooms. Right in the middle of everything downtown Charleston has to offer. Was not impressed with the rooftop bar or pool. Pool is more like a decoration - small and no one really got in it. Disappointed in the bar as that was part of the reason we stayed at this particular hotel & it was so crowded all weekend because they let anyone use it - not just hotel guests. It'd be nice to maybe even have certain hours for hotel guests or something to avoid overcrowding. While it was a pricey hotel, however, I would consider going again --- the service, decor, and location were second to none!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion hotel and celebrating your 15th wedding anniversary with us. I am so glad you found the hotel to be beautiful and the service top notch. I will share your comments with our housekeeping team who will appreciate them also. As you can imagine being the heart of downtown and in the Historic district, it is very unique to have a roof top swimming pool. We are limited on size but it is large enough for our guests to enjoy. Only the hotel guests my use the pool and lounge chairs and other guests may sit around the bar area or table side seating. I thank you for sharing your kind comments and look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Everyone at the hotel I found to be personable and yet professional! Kim was extremely helpful!...the best concierge ever! My experience in Charleston was perfect because of the staff. The restaurant offered the best steak comparable to being one of the best steakhouses in the country! I had a nitrotini and it was wonderful!

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the concierge floor. The second floor I found the hall carpet to be soiled and...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion hotel and sharing your comments with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be personable and professional. Thank you also for acknowledging Kim, which I will share your comments with her which I am sure she will appreciate. I am also glad you enjoyed Grill 225 and your Nitrotini.
We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Second time staying here. Love this place. Rooms are a good size. Comfy bed and pillows. Had a room with a small balcony overlooking the market.

Rooftop bar is cool. Great during the day for drinks. Saturday nights are a little crazy.

Love the coffee, fruit and pastries on each floor every morning.
Concierge was extremely helpful. Helped us rent bikes and reserve an early morning cab for the flight out.

Ive stayed at the ROK, and the French Quarter Inn as well. Market Pavilion is still my favorite.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel and that your stay was great. I am glad you now are a repeat guest and enjoy the size of your room, our location and the Pavilion Bar. We hope to see you again in the very near future.
montgomery village MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We loved our stay here. The room was great done in great period decor. Large bathroom. Our room was quiet which is always on the top of my list. There was complimentary water in the room and every morning a complimentary continental breakfast set up down the hall. The concierge was fabulous, the epitome of informed, gracious, charming hospitality.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion hotel and sharing your kind comments. I am so pleased that you “loved it” and you enjoyed the size of your room and the many amenities that we offer our guests. I will also share your comment with our concierge staff with I am sure they will appreciate. Hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Been to Market Pavilion Hotel? Share your experiences!