“Last Minute Stay Was Well Worth It” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
DIRECT BOOKING SPECIAL
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Charleston
Kiawah Island, South Carolina
“Last Minute Stay Was Well Worth It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed a night prior to leaving the country to avoid the crowds from the 2012 PGA Championship. Was supposed to go to Mexico but a storm was headed there so went to Puerto Rico instead. Was able to get a room at Market Pavilion at a decent price at the last minute. Have been at the restaurant, the lobby bar and rooftop bar numerous times so felt comfortable with the quality and level of service the hotel would provide.

Check-in was smooth, the room was comfortable and overall it was a most pleasant stay. Convenient location, parking was easy in close garages if you don't choose to valet. A visit to the rooftop bar definitely is always recommended although it can get crowded at times.

I understand they are starting a huge upgrade to the hotel and cannot wait to try Market Pavilion again to see how they've improved even more.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking Market Street with a little balcony. It wasn't loud at all like I expe...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am happy we had some availably to accommodate you. Since you know our hotel we appreciate your comments and visit even more. It’s great that you also enjoyed the Pavilion Bar. I would recommend our valet and we both know parking is at a premium in Charleston. We do look forward to your return visit soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have been going to the Market Pavilion since it opened for dinners and drinks and always dreamed of having my family and friends stay at this fabulous looking boutique hotel for my wedding. To my disappointment the décor and food is where the fabulousness stops.

I recently hosted my wedding in Charleston the weekend of July 4th, 2013. We had a room block of 18 rooms as well as several other rooms that were not part of the block.

We had hiccups with the staff from day one.

To start...

To our disappointment, we had to reach out multiple times to the hotel staff up until the wedding weekend with issues that many of our guests had with securing rooms as part of our block (this did not occur at either of the other 2 hotels we had blocks at). There never seemed to be anyone that answered the phone that was able to handle the block or knew anything about it.

At check-in our wedding weekend, most of our guests never received their welcome bags despite having provided a distribution list and going through it with both front desk employees. My guests or I had to go down to the desk and ask for their bags. Embarrassing.

My now husband and I splurged on a corner suite... as it was our wedding weekend...upon arrival, we were never even acknowledged as being the bride and groom that brought in over a third of the hotel’s occupancy for that long weekend (where our guests were not only staying but paying for meals, drinks, etc for 3-4 straight days/nights)… no note from the manager, no champagne, no congratulations, no upgrades…nothing!

Market Pavilion proved to be extremely understaffed the entire stay. The front desk was constantly busy helping multiple guests at once, answering phone calls, etc. The front door staff were forced to wear the hats of multiple roles…doorman, valet, bellhop, concierge. When expressing concern about the different hotel staff being overworked we were asked more than once to please express this concern to management as it is something that the employees said they have tried to convey many times before upon deaf ears.

On 4th of July the hotel was hosting a rooftop fireworks viewing. One would think that hotel guests would be a priority that evening. Unfortunately it was learned throughout the weekend, that hotel guests were never a priority when it came to the overly busy rooftop bar. The hotel staffed catered to the masses (a young bar crowd) as opposed to paying hotel guests. We pulled our car up for valet that evening and were told that the valets and bell hops were busy and we would have to wait in our car for someone. We waited 25 minutes to no avail. As a result, we MISSED the entire fireworks show with our friends and family despite arriving 15 minutes prior to the start of the show. Upon entering the hotel that night we noticed that all the valets and bellhops were now doubling as bouncers and doormen collecting IDs for the rooftop bar. This occurred throughout the weekend…every evening that we arrived back to the hotel there was a line to get into the hotel due to a wait to get up to the rooftop bar. I highly suggest that the hotel look into changing this way of entering the rooftop bar. For years this has been an issue. I now know how much it affects the hotel guests. You are either a highend (#1 rated) hotel or you are a bar/nightclub. It truly lowers the quality of this hotel. What is the hotel’s priority?!

The evening of our rehearsal dinner I knew that the hotel was slow in retrieving cars from valet as a result I called 45 minutes prior to needing our vehicle. I arrived in the lobby to no car…we then had to wait 15 additional minutes for its arrival…as a result we were late to our own rehearsal dinner!

Weeks prior to hosting my wedding weekend at the hotel I had arranged for the rooftop bar to be open for a post wedding toast. We arrived at the hotel after the wedding to a very disappointed bar and security staff. They reluctantly kept the bar open for ONE round of drinks and after only 15 minutes of arriving the music was cut off, the lights were turned off and we were asked to return to our rooms as the bar was closing. This would have been acceptable if this was not pre-arranged and if i was not told that the bar would stay open as long as there were customers present and prior to 2am. It was only 12:15am!

To close out the weekend, the final morning, my guests were all given a difficult time when some asked to extend their check outs by 30 minutes to attend our post wedding brunch.

I have traveled to over 38 countries and have stayed at all levels of hotels and know that when spending over $2,000 for 3 nights of accommodations and providing 20+ rooms of other hotel bookings it surely comes with higher levels of service and acknowledgement. We just returned from our honeymoon in Indonesia staying at other top rated hotels/resorts and once finding out it was our honeymoon were treated even more exceptional at no extra cost and without bringing any additional business to the hotels.

I had great expectations and Market Pavilion was a true disappointment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
First, thank you for taking my call and reviewing your stay and the experience you received at the Market Pavilion Hotel. As I expressed to you, this is not typical of the type of service any group or individual receives at the hotel. I have taken the necessary actions to correct with the team and can assure you that this will not occur again in the future. We do want to welcome you back again and hope to show you the experience you deserve. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments once again with me personally. Do not hesitate to contact me again and only wish you the very best.
Old Greenwich, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The room was small, dark and dank and looked overused. The rollaway we asked to be sent up for our son was a gross old mattress with no sheets provided! we had to ask for those and it took another 2 hours. I rarely ask to switch rooms or for other options but when i do all hotels from the Hampton Inn to the Four Seasons have always been accommodating. I am guessing this is just a bar location that happens to have a hotel connected to it because the hotel staff at the front desk staff was not at all helpful or accommodating,something one wouldn't expect from a supposed "Leading hotels of the world".

I did a significant amount of research on Charleston hotels and was sure I couldn't miss with this one based on the other Tripadvisor reviews. However, I was sorely disappointed. I am guessing the smaller charleston Inns have brighter rooms and maybe better service.

Oh and, not that it matters but just another interesting little quirk, they advertise Hermes toiletries in the rooms on their website and I did not see any of these in sight.

If you have been looking forward to a trip to Charleston for a long time like I was, think again before booking this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I am very disappointed to hear of the issues regarding your visit. I can assure you that your research was not in vain and you did select the best hotel in Charleston. We traditionally do not offer rollaway options for our guests. We try to accommodate you in a room with 2 queen beds. I am not sure why this occurred in your case, but I am investigating. I am also disappointed that you felt the staff was not accommodating or helpful. This is not the reaction that we receive from most of our guests. I will address this and if needed provide additional training for the team. As for the Hermes products, US Customs Inspections is holding our latest shipment from France due to recent developments in the world. I apologize but we did provide you with other options and should have them again very soon. I would hope that we could assist you again in the near future and would love for you to return to the hotel so we provide you with the best possible guest experience. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss if needed. I thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.
Ormond beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Friendly staff, especially Andrew and his fabulous nitrogen martinis. Great location, was able to walk almost everywhere. Loved the coffee and pastries every morning. We will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, our great location, the friendliness of our staff and the sideboard continental breakfast. I will also pass you kind comments to Andrew as he will be very pleased that you enjoyed your the Nitrotini. We look forward to your next visit.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We booked this hotel after visiting Charleston on a prior trip but just visited the rooftop bar. The hotel is located right next to the market, and is in an excellent location. The rooms were very clean, with great bathroom amenities and plenty of room. The staff was very friendly and helpful with recommending restaurants, and carriage companies. We are at the steakhouse, which was very good, although pricey. Thankfully, we were given a 100 dollar voucher when we checked in to use at any of the restaurants or bars in the hotel! The Lobby Bar has these really cool (cold!) nitro-tinis which is gimmicky but fun too! They even made an alcohol free "cotton candy nitrotini" fir my kids that was a huge hit! Unfortunately, we were only staying for one night- but we will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel and sharing your kind comments with us. I am pleased the know that you returned to stay with us after a visit to the Pavilion Bar. I appreciate that you enjoyed your accommodations, the cleanliness of our rooms and the amenities that we offer. I am also glad to know you and your children enjoyed the Nitrotinis (of course alcohol free for the children). As you know from all your travels, most luxury hotels have a signature cocktails and the Nitrotinis are ours. Thank you once again and we hope to have you stay with us very soon.
Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We visited the rooftop bar last weekend and loved it. Sure, it was a little crowded but that's because it was so popular. Not only was Chelsea a good server, she was an entertaining one, with great advice about how to continue our weekend. We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments with us. I appreciate you joining us at the Pavilion Bar high atop the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time and the service you received. I will relay the kind note to the team, which I am sure they will appreciate. Thank you once again for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Livermore, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Wonderful location. Rooms were fab.Viva was so nice. Our kids loved it. We would stay again in a heartbeat. Wish the pool was slightly bigger and didn't close at 5 pm but we still enjoyed it.

The only negative was the service we received at the rooftop bar and grill. Our server seemed to forget we were even there. It took an hour to receive our meal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased that you and your children enjoyed the stay, the accommodations and our location. I will share your kind comments with Viva, which I am sure she will appreciate. I must apologize for any service deficiencies that you encountered. I am not sure what time you were having your meal, but I can assure you this is not the norm for us and has been addressed with the team. I thank you again for staying with us and hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Been to Market Pavilion Hotel? Share your experiences!