“When can I come back??” 5 of 5 stars

DIRECT BOOKING SPECIAL
Ranked #7 of 54 hotels in Charleston
“When can I come back??”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Not only does this hotel have an amazing location at the end of Market St - it provides to the classical experience of Charleston with its historic feel. The all marble baths were fittingly luxurious. I would love to stay here again on our next visit! So accommodating and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
First, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We are honored that you were our guest and you enjoyed our hotel, the marble bathrooms, location and the services of our staff. We would hope to welcome you back again very soon.

681 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Charleston, South Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary downtown and booked a room at the Market Pavilion for the evening. Despte torrential rain early Saturday and again Sunday morning we had a wonderful time as a tourist in town.

The upstairs bar has always been popular and one of the best views downtown. Junior was our bartender and did a wonderful job under less-than-steller conditions. Melissa was exceptionally warm and helpful in the concierge room.

The hotel is a good location for dinner or drinks on East Bay or the Market, but a long walk from the new restaurants on upper KIng. This was good for us, but others may want to get a pedicab/rickshaw or a taxi to get across if necessary.

The concierge level is worth the expense at this hotel. The restaurant is good, but not one or our favorites in a very competitive restaurant town. We've not had a bad experience, but 221 simply hasn't been in our rotation for whatever reason. Hope this helps.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your kind comments regarding you stay at the Market Pavilion Hotel, Grill 225 and the Pavilion Bar. As being a local with so many choices, I am honored that you choose us. It was unfortunate that the weather was not the best on early on the weekend, but you were able to have a wonderful time celebrating your wedding anniversary. It was great that you could experience and appreciate the value in the concierge floor. I will pass your comments to Junior and Melissa. We hope to welcome you back soon and thank you for being our guest. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We recently stayed at the Market Pavilion Hotel in Charleston. From the greeting that we received from the doorman, Havin Turner through the entire stay, we were very pleased. Kelly the guest service manager handled all details of our reservations. Melissa provided very professional service on the concierge floor. Jr and Dave provided very great service at the rooftop, Pavilion Bar. The rooms were perfect, the rooftop bar provides the best views of the city and the waterfront. I highly recommend this property..

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Market of East Bay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the time you had at the Pavilion Bar. (yes, with the best views of the waterfront and city) I will share your kind comments, with Havin, Kelly, Melissa, Jr and Dave. Thank you for sharing with us and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Maple, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights in beautiful Charleston on March 23rd & 24th, and were very happy with our choice of what must be one of the best hotels in town. The corner suite and concierge level service are top notch. Melissa in the concierge parlour is a pleasure! Lila in Grill 225 is a top notch server, and provided us with first class service. What could go wrong? How about a flood through our bathroom ceiling at 3:00 in the morning! The night manager attended to the problem, though seemed to be perplexed at the source of the flood - which was obviously from the over-sized tub on the floor above. He promptly responded to my call, cleaned up the water himself, brought fresh towels, and promised to have the manager contact me later in the morning. I was not able to fall asleep until after 6:00 in the morning due to having been woken up from a deep sleep and being worried over the source of the water - and wondering if there was a potential health hazard from being exposed to sanitary water.

I was somewhat surprised when the manager failed to contact me in the morning, afternoon or evening of the second day. When I called down to the front desk, I was advised that there was no report from the night manager, but that the manager would be advised. I asked to be contacted to be assured that the flood water was from the tub - and not from the water closet (toilet) which would be a health concern. Well - I never did receive a call back from anyone. When checking out, I was asked how my stay was, and I replied "Excellent except for the flood in my suite at 3:00 in the morning". Without batting an eye lash, the attendant replied "sorry" and went on to wish me a safe drive home. No word from management, no compensation, and no interest in a patron spending $550 per night for lodging but not getting a good night's sleep!

In today's fast-paced world, we seek out hotels that offer us a respite from the problems of the "real world". In a 5-star hotel we do not want any problem - nor do we want to feel ignored if a problem manifests itself.

As an experienced traveler, who pays for, and expects nothing but the best - I feel that this manager owes an explanation to me, as his silence is nothing but unfortunate as there are many other hotels seeking my business.

Room Tip: Do not select a room with a water damaged ceiling - as you may be woken during the night to a flood!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
First and foremost, thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel and sharing your candid comments with us. I am pleased to that you find the hotel one of the best in Charleston and enjoyed the service delivered by Melissa and Lila from Grill 225. I am thank full for your understanding as to the water which did come from the room above and was corrected immediately. Once learning of your situation, I am disappointed that the Manager on Duty was not able to reach you or speak with you in person on Sunday. I have spoken with the team and this has been corrected and addressed and will not happen again. You do deserve the utmost best and we should always exceed your expectations which we usually do with our guests. Please feel free to contact me to discuss further 843-723-0500 and I will reach out to you also. I do want to express my apology to you on behalf of the entire team and hope to earn your business again in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and the service is outstanding. Everyone at the hotel is great. The roof top bar is fantastic and the service provided by Dave and JR is top notch! This was our second year staying here and will go back again it's become our favorite hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased to read your comments regarding our service and the hotel. I am glad you also enjoyed the Pavilion Bar and the service provided by Dave and JR. I will share your comments with them. We look forward to your next visit and thank you for being a repeat guest of the Market Pavilion Hotel.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We looked forward to and spaced our time to go up to the Pavilion Rooftop Bar for sunset on a beautiful evening. No one had time to greet or even smile at us. Service was very slow and in fact rather poor for the reputation. Our order (for drinks) was finally taken but 40 minutes later we had to go to ask where it might be as no one had approached our table again. Beautiful setting, very cool outdoor heating units and pool, lovely sunset but service to back it up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for joining us at the Pavilion Bar at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed the setting, sunset and our heaters to keep you warm. I am disappointed to hear that you had to wait for service and it was not up to your expectation nor mine. I have shared your comments with the team and can assure you it has been corrected. We hope to have you join us again in the near future and thank you taking the time to providing us with the review.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I chose to come to Charleston for our "baby moon" after a difficult winter of moving, a death in the family, etc. Overall, the Market Sreet Pavillion Hotel is beautiful and the staff is very friendly. Our first night at the hotel completely exceeded our expectations. The second day, when we came back to our room, the beds were made and towels were folded, but the room hasn't been vacuumed, the toiletries were not replaced, our glasses weren't cleaned or restocked and nothing was "straightened" in the manner you'd expect from a five star hotel. We typically don't complain and didn't, but came back the following day to the same situation only that day, there was somehow a stain in the bathtub, the counters had clearly not been wiped down and our room, again, had not been vacuumed. Reluctantly, we called the front desk and the manager assured us the problem would be handled. After having lunch and walking around for a couple hours, we came back to find the room exactly the same. Then, housekeeping came to the door to ask if we wanted any services and we were placed in the awkward position of having to ask to have them remove the dirty dishes and give us toiletries for the following day. Unfortunately, this ruined what was to be our last day in Charleston and the hotel could have done a much better job of handling it. That aside, the location is beautiful, the rooms are nice, the staff is friendly and the food is great. Just be sure you're willing to pay to stay in a hotel that doesn't truly provide daily housekeeping with the exception of making the bed and fading your towels.

• Stayed March 2013
MarketPavilion, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
First, thank you very much for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel and being our guest. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations for the beginning of stay and you found our staff to be friendly the hotel beautiful and you enjoyed the food at Grill 225 or Pavilion Bar.. Please accept my apology as I was very disappointed to learn about what had occurred with you room for some of the other day of your stay. I want you to be assured that we value you as a guest and want to provide you with the highest level of service which we are known for. I have conducted an investigation and inquiry with my department heads to learn what occurred and want you to know that the last day, our housekeeping was sent to service the room, yes not at the appropriate time. Our housekeeping team have been addressed and additional training is being provided to assure that this does not occur in the future. We do wish to welcome you back again soon and want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Been to Market Pavilion Hotel? Share your experiences!