“Great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Charleston
Foster City, California
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed 2 nights, the room was very nice, with an old world charm , beautiful robes and Hermes shampoo amenities. I enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast on each floor.The rooftop pool bar overlooks the city, a great place for an after dinner drink. It's very centrally located to the historical center and in front of the market. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jessica O, Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback. I am glad you were able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast and convenient location. The staff at the Market Pavilion Hotel will be pleased to know you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This past weekend we celebrated my girlfriends upcoming birthday and I am very glad that I chose the Market Pavilion Hotel to do it! Upon arriving at the hotel we were promptly greeted by the valets who helped with baggage and parked my vehicle. Using the valet service is CLEARLY worth the money since parking in Charleston is very tight! I chose to take advantage of the Concierge level after reading previous reviews and was very glad that I did. Julie was very attentive to our needs and was a natural at making everyone feel welcomed during breakfast and happy hour. We stopped by during the tea service but that didnt appear to be much going on. I have to say that the only let down on this trip was the rooftop bar. We are both in our mid 40's and enjoy the dance music but the level of service from the bartenders did equal up to the level of service from the other areas of the hotel. The bar was very crowded and more of a wild and crazy club scene as opposed to some of the more upscale clubs that i have gone to. There were great views of Charleston from the rooftop but the atmosphere took away from the experience due to the feeling of being at a drunken frat party. We promptly left and went to visit other clubs in the area. We went back again on Saturday night thinking that we just had a bad night and it was more of the same from Friday night so we left again. If I were to make a suggestion here it would be to review the layout of the placement of the bar to make it more accomodating to all and perhaps a separate area allocated for hotel guest. We had dinner at Grill 225 on Saturday night and it was AWESOME!! We arrived before our reservation time and were promptly greeted and seated by the host staff. Our server was exceptional and I like how they work in tandem to make sure that all or our needs were met! I was skeptical at first but the portions certainly justified the price and we didn't leave feeling cheated on this one!! I had the 14oz Fillet and my girlfriend ordered the Sea Scallops and we were very pleased with how quickly our food was served and the HUGE portions were on point. We had a room facing the market and I could hardly hear the music from the clubs across the street so no complaint here on that issue. The hotel is worth the price I must say.......our let down was going to the rooftop bar and not getting the same level of experience as the rest of the hotel. I must note that when we arrived we had asked an employee about the nightlife and we were told that perhaps the rooftop might be a bit much and they were correct in suggesting that we might make another choice. By the way.....not only was it my girlfriends birthday weekend getaway but I also chose this as the place to propose......and.......she said yes!!! We will return to The Market Pavilion Hotel again in the future for sure!! Great location......great weather.....great service!!

Room Tip: Request a bay view or market view!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Congratulations on your engagement; what an exciting time you must have had that weekend. I am pleased you enjoyed both the hotel and Grill 225; that you felt that you received such great service. I do apologize for the service on the roof. It is a great spot but it does sometime get very busy on the weekend, but it is still a great place to enjoy the view and relax over an adult beverage after a full day of activity in Charleston. Please convey my belated birthday wishes to your fiance and I hope you will consider celebrating your next event here at the Market Pavilion Hotel. Thank you.
Southport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I along with another couple were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversaries and stayed at the Market Pavilion Hotel. It was fabulous. Service and attention to detail was outstanding. And...Location, location, location!

The rooms were beautiful, the food outstanding, the staff most gracious. Our thanks to the all. If you are looking for that special place where great surroundings and a professional staff come together, than go to Market Pavilion Hotel. Cost...was worth every penny! You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. Tell the concierge what you are looking for and he/she will guide you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
First of all; Happy Anniversary to both couples! Thank you for celebrating the occasion with us. I am pleased you found the hotel to be fabulous with service and attention to detail outstanding. It sounds as if you enjoyed the entire experience and I am glad you had a great anniversary weekend. Please do not wait until the next anniversary; we hope to see you again very soon. Thank you for choosing the Market Pavilion Hotel!
Sanford, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Recently stayed for two nights at the Market Pavillion Hotel with our friends on the Concierge Level. As always our stay was first class. From the moment you walk through the door, you and your group receive a warm welcome from the entire Market Pavillion Family. We especially enjoyed the degree of service as well as the attention to detail that we received on the Concierge Level from Kelly. Within moments of our arrival, Kelly took care of our group for the entire stay with his warm smile and southern hospitality.

The rooms and the bathrooms are beautifully appointed. Love the Hermes bath products.

Grill 225 and the Rooftop Pavillion Bar are both great restaurants for enjoying a wonderful meal as well.

I called prior to the trip and spoke with Kelly M. who made sure that our group had rooms that were side by side. She also arranged a private carriage tour for our group with a convenient pick up at the hotel. In conversation, I mentioned to Kelly M. that we would be celebrating my birthday and flowers from the hotel were waiting for me in our beautiful room upon our arrival.

Market Pavillion Hotel is a beautiful boutique hotel filled with warm southern hospitality. The Crown Jewel of Charleston!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing either the market or East Bay Street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
First, I would like to wish you a very happy belated birthday; thank you for celebrating the occasion at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am very glad you enjoyed your visit and I know both Kelly D and Kelly M will appreciate knowing their efforts did not go unnoticed. I appreciate you considering us to be the Crown Jewel of Charleston. Our entire staff works very hard to exceed expectations and I am pleased they did not let you down. Thank you for choosing the Market Pavilion Hotel and we all look forward to your next visit; just don't wait till your next birthday!
Sheridan, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

For wanting to be in the heart of the historical district of Charleston then this hotel was the place to be. The room we had had a really bad odor, couldn't tell if it was old moldy smell or sewer smell. The beds were not that comfortable but ok. The staff was friendly but we were not informed about the free breakfast we were suppose to get which is just coffee, tea, fruit and pastries ( not that good ) and available in the hall of each floor. We wanted a place with a pool but the pool is on the roof where the bar and cafe / restaurant is where everyone walks by to go eat...let's just say no one was at the pool. The hotel is upper scale and but I don't feel it is worth the money except that is convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. After checking how your reservation was made, I see it was made through Expedia, not through the hotel reservation system. Expedia is given all of the particulars about our hotel, but obviously, we have no control over what information you are given. Had you booked directly with us, all of our amenities would have been explained to you in detail, including the items on the breakfast buffet and the location of the pool. The pastries on the buffet are handmade fresh each morning with great care; sorry you did not enjoy them. In addition, that information would also have been on your hotel confirmation. I am sorry you did not book through the hotel. I am also sorry you did not like our beds as well; we normally are complimented on their comfort. The pool is a very popular spot and usually very crowded. Our guests love to sit at the pool, relax and enjoy the views of Charleston Harbor and the city while sipping a refreshing beverage. I again appreciate your candor and hope you will give us the chance to serve you again.
kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed the nights of September 12th and 13th at this wonderful hotel. We both truely enjoyed the entire experience at Market Pavilion. The location of the hotel made the trip even better. Many of the activities we were interested in were within easy walking distance.

Service: The bellman and valet service were excellent. Wish I could remember the name of the bellman who greeted us on our arrival. His friendly demeanor made us feel at home immediately. The front desk staff were friendly and made check in smooth and trouble free. The women serving as concierge did a great job. We arrived without reservations for dinner during restarurant week. She was able to provide us with reservations the hour we arrived. Would like to give a shout out to Julia and Kelly in the 4th floor concierge parlor. Their service was impeccable. Friendly, courteous and helpful without being overly familiar. The service of the waitstaff at Grill 225 and the rooftop bar was excellent at all times. House keeping staff did a great job on our room everyday and turn down service was nicely done.

Room: We stayed on the concierge floor which is accessible by use of your room key. The room was of fairly large size. Not huge but plenty of rooom. It was nicely furnished and decorated. The bed was very comfortable. Bathrooms were also nice. Separate tub and shower which I consider a must any more. Not sure what the bath ammenties were but must have been good. As my wife went on and on about them. She really loved the soap. My only complaint is the gap between the head board of the bed and the mattress. It appears to be a result of the headboard construction which does not allow the mattress to rest firmly against it. This allowed one of my pillows to keep slipping into this gap. No big deal I just found it inconvenient.

Food: We ate in the concierge parlor on the 4th floor for breakfast both mornings. The food was well prepared and did not suffer from slow warming on the buffet. While the food was the same both days it was as I stated very good. We enjoyed the cookies at afternoon tea and the cheese and wine in the evening was enjoyable. We had a snack and drinks at the rooftop bar on Wednesday evening. Drinks were great and the view is not to be missed. We also ate twice at Grill 225, once for lunch and again for dinner. I will cover this in a review of the restaurant.

Overall: The Market Pavlion is a small hotel. Saw the same staff everyday of our three day stay. This is a plus for me. It gives the hotel the feel of of an old world private club. The rooftop bar is great for drinks and the view. The pool is small but would be adequate for sun bathing or cooling off. I rated this hotel excellent and will stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit. The bell staff, guest service agents and our concierge team will also be pleased to read that you enjoyed the experience as well. Kelly and Julia make a great team in our Concierge Parlor and I know that they will appreciate being named in your posting. Thank you for choosing the Market Pavilion Hotel. We do hope to have the chance to serve you again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

As I did not actually stay at this beautiful Venue, My best friend and I did have an excellent Girls Night Out on the Roof Top. We decided after venturing to some of the other venues on East Bay, we needed to find our age group to be around. Best decision we made that night! The lighting, music and ambiance are what set the mood for our evening. The staff was very friendly and the drink selections were of wide variety. I would highly recommend everyone to at least go up for a visit if you are in the Charleston area and looking for a more mature environment to be in. Preferably at night to experience the beautiful atmosphere that I will always remember!

Room Tip: If you are not staying at this hotel and visiting the area, at least go up and check out the Roof To...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate your decision to give us a try. I am very glad you enjoyed the entire experience, and that you found the staff to be friendly as well. I hope that when you are back in town you will give us the chance to serve you again.
Thank you.

Been to Market Pavilion Hotel? Share your experiences!