“A great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This hotel is only one year old. Close to the visitors center, 15/20 minute walk from historic area. Staff very friendly quiet. Good restaurant, but service a little slow, but sometimes it is nice to sit and chat and wait for fresh food! I wailed stay here again in an instant. On bus route to town. Valet parking, car rental within 200 yards of hotel, if you need one!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at the hotel.
I'm glad to read you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I spent 3 nights in this hotel during our first visit to Charleston at the end of April. Comments from other reviewers prompted me to pick this Holiday Inn: it's relatively new, the amenities were all good, rooms clean and comfortable, the staff friendly, the restaurant served tasty food, all these at a very competitive price. After my stay, I can definitely confirm all these points. Still, it was the location that made me very happy. We actually enjoyed the 1-mile or so walk towards the Historic district. This short distance gave us a sense of peace and quiet, away from the busy tourist-centric streets. Also, we enjoyed really impressive restaurants within a few blocks: "The Ordinary" on King, and "Coast" on John. Yes, when walking to / from the hotel at night, we were aware that we should always be alert in urban areas but were never uncomfortable. Another positive experience with the location was the convenience with car rental. When we wanted to visit the Drayton Hall planation and other attractions outside the city, the rental car agency was 2 blocks from the hotel on Meeting Street. At the end of the day, I returned the car and thus avoided parking charges. Furthermore, Sprint Street, 1 block north of the hotel, was the recommended route to drive outside Charleston. How convenient.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
I appreciate your time in leaving such a positive review.
Sounds like you took advantage of some of the great restaurants in Charleston.
It always great to read our guests enjoyed their stay. Thanks for the great advice for any of our potential new guests, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and newborn stayed here for a few days. The room was clean. The staff were great. Like other reviewers said - the location is the only downside to this hotel. It isn't horrible...but literally across the street it seems starts the 'run down' section of downtown Charleston.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thanks for the review,
I am pleased your family enjoyed their stay.
Regarding our location, we are on the edge of great things that are happening.
On your next visit I am sure you will see the difference.
Please come back.
We appreciate you staying with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great hotel with spectacular rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I was able to spend a relaxing and enjoyable weekend touring around the Charleston area. The location is actually really close to upper King Street with a lot of new hip restaurants and shopping. The hotel is very modern with a really cool roof top pool. Will definitely recommend this place to my friends traveling to Charleston.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thanks for sharing.
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay, and our great location to Upper King.
Many thanks.
Wirtz, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Holiday Inn Charleston was such a good choice for us. It was close to great restaurants and the staff was friendly and helpful. The shopping nearby was also a plus. We will be back in the future for sure!

Room Tip: Booking a sweet gets you more points for future stays.
Green Features: It is nice to see hotels making efforts to use less and recycle more! In addition to re-using towels they hotel offers plastic recycling. It would be great to see even more of that.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you.
We can't wait to welcome you back.
Delighted you enjoyed your visit.
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

So, we've driven about 20 hours before we land in our final destination at Hilton Head. My wife and I wanted to visit charming Charleston (and it is charming) on route. I did some research and yes there are some very quaint southern hospitality hotels in the city if you want to spend $250+ easily. We were going to arrive late and had only a day to tour so we wanted a decently priced hotel, in a good location. We didn't have time to enjoy a pricey hotel, so we picked this one as the reviews were good as was it's location. The reviews are correct.

I'm a silver or gold (I always forget), IHG member so I'm familiar with the various hotels in this group of hotels. This is a very good one. The service on check in was great - very warm. The hotel is in a great location, easy to walk anywhere. One street away is a block of pubs and restaurants which came in handy when we arrived late.

What I liked was unlimited in-out parking privileges and the cost of $16 is for 24 hrs. So we left the car there after we checked out and retrieved it at the end of the day. I prefer to walk and explore cities than have to worry about parking and driving in town.

Just a heads up, the hotel is at the end of a section of city that is going through re-development so that area is sketchy at the moment. However, a new Hyatt is being built and given a year or two from now,the area will likely be very nice. It just throws you for a loop when you arrive off the bridge like we did.

Would we go back to this hotel - yes absolutely.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us on your long trip down south.
I would also like to thank you for your loyalty to IHG whether you be a gold or platinum member. We truly appreciate your business.
Thank you for the kind words, please stop back on your return visit to Canada.
Have a great vacation in Hilton Head.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed here at the end of April with my family. Great hotel. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean, well apportioned rooms. The bar was great and the food was excellent. Try the pimento burger! We received coupons for free breakfasts for both days we stayed...not sure why, but it was a nice touch. The only downside was the location. Its right on the far edge of the Historic District. Other people have posted they didnt feel safe in the area but I felt completely safe with my wife and kid walking back after dark. The far end of King Dtreet is just a block away and that is the up and coming area right now...loads of new bars and places to eat. There is construction around the hotel but that is only because the rea is being somewhat reborn. It is however a trek to the market and waterfront park. One mile doesnt sound like much but if you are dragging along 2 kids after eating a big meal it feels a long way. Thats the only reason I gave it 4 stars. If you arent young and able bodied or if you have young children then it may not be the place for you. One other minor complaint is that you have to valet your car and it isnt cheap. I would stay here again but only if the discount over more centrally located hotels justified the decision. I think it is perfect for younger people without kids.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.
I'm glad you enjoyed your experience in the restaurant and will ensure I speak to the chef about your positive comments regarding the Pimento Burger.
I think we offer a great option versus staying right Downtown, our hotel is not only convenient but has free trolley service available across the road and great rates.
Kind regards.

Been to Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown? Share your experiences!