“above and beyond” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New London, Connecticut
“above and beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

the moment we stepped foot in the hotel we knew we made the right decision of where to stay. the front desk indiviuals were friendly with smiles and ready to answer all our questions, the walk to the historic district is a nice stroll . we took the yellow bike rides into the district at night. use the yellow line because they are young,strong bodies to pull us and it cost $4.50 per person-cheaper than taxies, plus a fun experience.the rooms were comfortable and our room was pool level. workout room is quite small but serves the purpose.an up and coming area--walk up to king street with restraunts,bars, stores, nice and we felt very safe because people are out on the streets at night. christana was extremely helpful and had a bubbly personality with a killer smile and funny, she is an asset to your staff. also, I called her "dimples" forgot her name she was on the desk during the day and she was alwys willing to help. almost forgot the restraunt is an award winner so check it out. I am not one for eating in hotels but this is an exception.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for leaving such a nice review following your stay in April.
I will ensure Crissana is made aware of your kind comments.
On your next visit to Charleston I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Kind regards,

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The name of this hotel is a little misleading. It is a fair walk to the Historic Downtown area from the hotel. Doable if you are active but certainly not an easy walk if you are physically impaired in any way or struggle with longer distances. We chose to walk and enjoyed a boat trip to Patriot's Point followed by a walk down to Battery Park and then back the length of King St to the hotel. The old houses in Charleston are fabulous.
This hotel is valet parking only. We pulled up at the kerb and I stood my toddler on the pavement next to the car. The valet\bell swung a large holdall in order to put it on the luggage cart and sent him flying into the road. My son was wet and muddy from a puddle and crying. The man did not apologise but scuttled off quickly when I asked him to leave the bags for us to deal with.
Check in was easy and our room, although nothing special, was fine. We ate in the restaurant that night. Our server was friendly and efficient sadly I did not like my meal.
The hotel were able to keep our bags & car for the day whilst we went sightseeing and staff were very friendly when we checked out.
We would probably stay here again if we return to the Charleston area.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay.
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the incident with the valet staff when you arrived at the hotel. I was not aware that this happened, and I have discussed the matter with the Valet Manager who is looking into the matter.
I am also dissapointed you did not enjoy your meal in the hotel's restaurant.
On closing, I'm pleased the service you received was friendly, and I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back should you visit Charleston in the future.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

A friend and I stayed one night for concert happening just across the street. The area is full of new construction and crumbling buildings, but the hotel is THE NICEST I've ever stayed in! I'm sure it's because it's so new, but everything is top shelf and the rooms are immaculate.

The common areas and tapas restaurant are modern and luxurious. The beds are supremely comfortable and they included enough pillows to make a fort for a child. Huge wall-mounted flat screen TV, spacious bathroom and shower head with three settings. I work in a hotel that I am very proud of, but this blows us away!

Can't say enough about the staff either. Everyone is extremely pleasant and go out of their way to greet you! Notable mentions: Nicole at the front desk! Very helpful and provided info about the area.

• Stayed April 2013
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and will ensure I share your kind comments with Nicole.
Many thanks.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I would recommend this location for the best value. It's a hike from downtown but worth the nice walk for the wonderful accommodations. The place was spotless, and the pool was beautiful, and the service was top-notch

• Stayed April 2013
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.
I am delighted you enjoyed your visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I (age 27 and 28) stayed here for two nights on a last minute escape vacation to Charleston. We are from NYC. The hotel is brand new, very clean and with ample room space. The staff is friendly with a 24 hour desk. We did not rent a car so I can't speak to parking. We also did not eat at the hotel, but their restaurant seemed to offer happy hour, small plates good for pre dinner reservations and events like wine tastings plus breakfast (not included). Our room had a balcony, which was nice for the fresh air, but doesn't offer a view of anything (not the hotel's fault).

At first glance, I could understand how an out of towner may say "this area is sketchy." It has less foot traffic and few businesses on this area of meeting street. I felt very safe though. The hotel also requires key access to the front lobby after 11pm and the lobby is always staffed.

The area is close to the college and therefore very young. It is one block from the upper King Street neighborhood, which appears to be the new "in" place. Bars and restaurants are in great abundance as well as little boutiques with beautiful shopping (shoes, furniture, toy store, vintage). A yoga studio is one block away as well as a small local theater company and a bike shop offering rentals. It is about a 15 minute walk to the aquarium on the Charles river and the area where you can pick up boat tours and Ft Sumter tours.

While the Friday bar scene was dominated by college kids, there are some amazing bars within a short walk which will appeal to a more refined taste (I had the greatest sazarac ever at Proof). And many of the new restaurants have a "hipster chic" Brooklyn feel to them - a foodie's heaven!!! The restaurants in the neighborhood rivaled my favorite NYC spots.

It is also near to a square on King and Calhoun which had an open air market on Saturday buzzing with people, food and local crafts.

The Holiday Inn turned out to be an ideal location for us because of the bars and dining so nearby, and convenience to touristy locations. I would definitely recommend it. Friendly staff, clean and good sized rooms. Staff will help you book anything from carriage rides to a dinner res.

However, I would not recommend it if you are someone who will be bothered to walk a lot. I don't want to give the impression it is far from everything, it just isn't in the middle of all the quintessential Charleston "sights." But if you have two good legs and like to spend the day outdoors, you can walk to absolutely everything without a problem.

Wonderful stay and would strongly consider returning to this hotel. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2013
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Many thanks for leaving such a comprehensive review following your recent stay.
Your review of the hotel and Charleston in genera,l was a pleasure to read.
You have done a great service to anyone planning to visit the area, and I am sure they will find your comments very helpful in planning their trip.
On closing, thank you for your wonderful remarks about the hotel.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit.
Thanks
Youngsville, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn. It is a new hotel on Meeting Street in the Historic District. Only one block from King Street and restaurants. Very clean and beds were comfortable. Staff is very helpful with city information. Only three blocks from the Visitors Center and Museum. The hotel has a really nice sitting area with large TV and books on the second floor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind words following your recent visit.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.
Thanks
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Holiday Inn is a relatively new hotel. The Staff was very friendly and the rooms are nicely appointed. There are a few restaurants/grills within walking distance that have great food. The trolly into downtown is also very close. I spent 3 nights during a brief vacation and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.
I am pleased you enjoyed your visit.
Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Thank you.

Been to Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown? Share your experiences!