“Nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. Ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

A friend and I stayed one night for concert happening just across the street. The area is full of new construction and crumbling buildings, but the hotel is THE NICEST I've ever stayed in! I'm sure it's because it's so new, but everything is top shelf and the rooms are immaculate.

The common areas and tapas restaurant are modern and luxurious. The beds are supremely comfortable and they included enough pillows to make a fort for a child. Huge wall-mounted flat screen TV, spacious bathroom and shower head with three settings. I work in a hotel that I am very proud of, but this blows us away!

Can't say enough about the staff either. Everyone is extremely pleasant and go out of their way to greet you! Notable mentions: Nicole at the front desk! Very helpful and provided info about the area.

• Stayed April 2013
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and will ensure I share your kind comments with Nicole.
Many thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I would recommend this location for the best value. It's a hike from downtown but worth the nice walk for the wonderful accommodations. The place was spotless, and the pool was beautiful, and the service was top-notch

• Stayed April 2013
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.
I am delighted you enjoyed your visit.
Thank you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I (age 27 and 28) stayed here for two nights on a last minute escape vacation to Charleston. We are from NYC. The hotel is brand new, very clean and with ample room space. The staff is friendly with a 24 hour desk. We did not rent a car so I can't speak to parking. We also did not eat at the hotel, but their restaurant seemed to offer happy hour, small plates good for pre dinner reservations and events like wine tastings plus breakfast (not included). Our room had a balcony, which was nice for the fresh air, but doesn't offer a view of anything (not the hotel's fault).

At first glance, I could understand how an out of towner may say "this area is sketchy." It has less foot traffic and few businesses on this area of meeting street. I felt very safe though. The hotel also requires key access to the front lobby after 11pm and the lobby is always staffed.

The area is close to the college and therefore very young. It is one block from the upper King Street neighborhood, which appears to be the new "in" place. Bars and restaurants are in great abundance as well as little boutiques with beautiful shopping (shoes, furniture, toy store, vintage). A yoga studio is one block away as well as a small local theater company and a bike shop offering rentals. It is about a 15 minute walk to the aquarium on the Charles river and the area where you can pick up boat tours and Ft Sumter tours.

While the Friday bar scene was dominated by college kids, there are some amazing bars within a short walk which will appeal to a more refined taste (I had the greatest sazarac ever at Proof). And many of the new restaurants have a "hipster chic" Brooklyn feel to them - a foodie's heaven!!! The restaurants in the neighborhood rivaled my favorite NYC spots.

It is also near to a square on King and Calhoun which had an open air market on Saturday buzzing with people, food and local crafts.

The Holiday Inn turned out to be an ideal location for us because of the bars and dining so nearby, and convenience to touristy locations. I would definitely recommend it. Friendly staff, clean and good sized rooms. Staff will help you book anything from carriage rides to a dinner res.

However, I would not recommend it if you are someone who will be bothered to walk a lot. I don't want to give the impression it is far from everything, it just isn't in the middle of all the quintessential Charleston "sights." But if you have two good legs and like to spend the day outdoors, you can walk to absolutely everything without a problem.

Wonderful stay and would strongly consider returning to this hotel. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2013
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Many thanks for leaving such a comprehensive review following your recent stay.
Your review of the hotel and Charleston in genera,l was a pleasure to read.
You have done a great service to anyone planning to visit the area, and I am sure they will find your comments very helpful in planning their trip.
On closing, thank you for your wonderful remarks about the hotel.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit.
Youngsville, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn. It is a new hotel on Meeting Street in the Historic District. Only one block from King Street and restaurants. Very clean and beds were comfortable. Staff is very helpful with city information. Only three blocks from the Visitors Center and Museum. The hotel has a really nice sitting area with large TV and books on the second floor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind words following your recent visit.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Holiday Inn is a relatively new hotel. The Staff was very friendly and the rooms are nicely appointed. There are a few restaurants/grills within walking distance that have great food. The trolly into downtown is also very close. I spent 3 nights during a brief vacation and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.
I am pleased you enjoyed your visit.
Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Thank you.
Minnetonka, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for 5 days and loved it. The staff could not have been more helpful with restaurant and tour recommendations, reservations and arranging transportation. The rooms were immaculate. They just need to have rubber bathmats and a magnifying mirror in the bathroom to make it perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in Charleston and at the hotel.
I'm afraid too late for your visit, but yesterday we placed non slip bathmats in each of our rooms with tubs.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on any future visit to Charleston.
Missouri City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My first note is to not be discouraged by the neighborhood! When we first pulled up I was second guessing even staying becuase the area is less desirable, however, I'm really glad we didn't change hotels. This is a brand new hotel so it's VERY clean. They just opened in January 2013. The staff was phenomenal! Sarah at the front desk was very friendly and very accomdating upon our check-in. The parking is through valet which is $16/night but worth the cost. The valet's were also very friendly and always asking if they could carry our bags up for us or if we needed anything else. If you called a few minutes ahead your car would certainly be ready and waiting for you. I believe the gentleman's name was Christian (or Christopher) at the valet station that helped us the first day we were there and he was the most helpful and pleasant individual! This was by far one of the nicest Holiday Inns that I've been to in recent years.

My only complaint which is pretty minor really is that I placed a hang tag on my door on the last night of my stay, indicating my selections for room service the next morning. When I awoke, the bill had been slipped under my door but the hang tag was still there. I called the front desk and I was transfered to the kitchen and no one answered. When I called room service the gentleman raced upstairs to pick up the hang tag and I had my food in about 15 minutes.

The restaurant doesn't serve lunch, only breakfast and dinner. Breakfast isn't included and is your typical mediocre hotel breakfast. Nothing to write home about. The dinner menu is small and a little too fancy for my liking. It's a tapas restaurant and I was really looking for just a burger or something simple. They have an area on the main lobby where you can by items you forgot or just a small snack, or print out your boarding passes on the available computers.

We had two rooms in our reservation and both were located on the 3rd floor, relatively close to the elevator so you did catch a lot of hallway noise. If this would bother you, I'd suggest asking for a room that's not centrally located in the hotel.

We did also have a suite in our reservation and it was very large. Perfect if you're traveling with a family and want a little extra room. It has a bar sink and a microwave also so that's great for a family! The sitting area has a pull out couch and there's a table with chairs as well to relax in. I do think there should be a TV in the sitting room, however.

The rooms were spotless and every day housekeeping came by they made the room as though that was the first day we checked in. All items were replenished and refreshed. The beds are comfortable and having options for pillow softness is a nice touch.

Overall, I would definitely return to this hotel. In fact, I look forward to returning to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a comprehensive review following your recent visit.
I will definately make sure Sarah and Christian are thanked for their efforts during your stay.
I apologise for the mix up with your room service order, but pleased we addressed the issue quickly.
On closing, thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Been to Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown? Share your experiences!